Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Take Advantage of the Banked Wins

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#181 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

The player can turn down the QO, so they are still unrestricted free agents.
Restricted free agents have no ability to leave if their current team matches a FA offer, which baseball doesn't currently have.

I know that. That's why I put "unrestricted" in quotes. For this mid-tier level of free agents in particular, though, a QO often effectively acts as a sort of restriction, although technically yes, they can still sign anywhere for any amount they can get. It can just be a bit harder to get an equivalent offer elsewhere with the draft pick attached.

#182 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

While posting in another thread, I realized 4 of our 5 starters are unrestricted Free Agents this year... This seems like the opposite of sustainable success. We have no one in the minors to replace even Pineda really.

The time to win has to be NOW!! This is why trading Pressley hurts. This is why planning for 2020 and beyond was dumb to begin with, and the idea that we could add pieces on top of giving our young players large amounts in arb or extensions was even dumber.

After saying all the 1 yr deals were a mistake, the FO did the same thing this year. Well, it's worked really well. But I think it's fair to ask, "Now what?"

Berrios is still under contract and Perez has a team option for next year. Still have the “now what” cuz you still need to fill 3 rotation spots and can only reasonably hope to fill one internally.
  • Jham likes this

#183 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

Why do we have to take advantage of banked wins? Why not win 107 games?
  • Jham and MVP Nick Punto like this

#184 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

B-Ref just introduced their own playoff odds page. It has the Twins narrowly edging Cleveland for the division:

https://www.baseball...yoff-odds.shtml
  • Mike Sixel likes this