Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 1, HOU 0: Let’s Go Crazy

jake odorizzi ehire adrianza taylor rogers blake parker
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:05 AM

Jake Odorizzi:
April 10: 0-2, 6.35 ERA
April 29: 3-2, 3.34 ERA
  • Dantes929, big dog, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#22 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,296 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:23 AM

What a gem! Baldelli's strategy worked, but why not send Odorizzi out for the 8th, on a short leash? Only 86 pitches through the 7th, with the #9 hitter, the first of three righty batters, coming up against RHP, Odorizzi. Rogers has proven to be effective against right handed batters, but not as effective as port-sided swingers. Either Parker or Odo might have made more sense, match-up wise.

Finally, another inning from Odorizzi takes just a little more pressure off the bullpen. This is the first of four against the Astros, four games into a stretch of 13 in a row.

Oh, well. Small potatoes. Tidy win. Go Twins.

That would have been cool, but it was just as cool, if not moreso, to see a rested Taylor Rogers just wipe out those Houston boys in the 8th.

Now, I'd like the rest of the team to just beat the living snot out of 'em the rest of this series! Announce our presence with authority! 

authority

And by gum, ain't it great to get one over on Verlander once in a while?:ph34r:

Edited by David HK, 30 April 2019 - 03:24 AM.

• Han Joelo, MN_ExPat, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

#23 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:46 AM

Adriana strikes out against Chris Davis, homers off of Justin Verlander. Baseball!

P.S. Thank you Ehire for saving it for when it was needed.
  • nicksaviking, Danchat, bluechipper and 4 others like this

#24 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:22 AM

Now the Twins have a regular ol’ three game home series against the Astros. Take 2 of 3, and take the season series against them. Oh, and they miss Verlander in this series, and have Berrios lined up for the finale.
  • ashbury, Dantes929, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#25 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:51 AM

Baldelli threw the Verlander game in Houston, so Hinch simply returned the favor last night 😀

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,717 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:52 AM

So who do we start in WS Game 4 against the Dodgers, Pineda or Perez?

yes.
  • jokin and Circus Boy like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#27 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:00 AM

liked Odo's comment about this team being "special."  They do seem to have some real mojo.

• HrbekRules likes this

#28 bunt_vs_the_shift

bunt_vs_the_shift

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:03 AM

Great game and the best April we've had in a long time. Nothing wrong with enjoying a great W, but there's a lot of season left... Now to keep our head down and continue stacking months like this we'll be playing some October baseball!

#29 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:03 AM

Coming into this series I was hoping the Twins could split.Win one of three would have been ok.

OK, we have the one win and will be going for the split tonight.With Verlander out of the way, can we win 2 of 3?

Was that the best game Odorizzi has pitched as a Twin?I seem to remember one very good outing last year, but not the details.And wasn't it fun watching a real pitchers duel?Loved it!

• MN_ExPat likes this

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,180 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:07 AM

It took Odorizzi just 86 pitches to get through seven innings. That’s a solid mark for any pitcher, but Odo isn’t exactly known for his efficiency. He got 13 swinging strikes on those 86 pitches, improving upon the career-high rate he carried into this outing. Odorizzi has gotten swinging strikes on 13% of his pitches this year. Last season, only nine qualified starters had a swinging strike rate above 13%, and Odorizzi was at 10.2%.

Not surprisingly, the strikeout rates are also encouraging for Odorizzi in the early going of this season. He's now struck out exactly a quarter of the batters he's faced so far. That would represent a career high and a nice boost from his 22.8 K% from last year.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that those improvements actually started last year, and that you could see a nice trend on him last fall.  

I'm beginning to think he's turned a corner. If so, great find by our front office. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#31 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:24 AM

That homer by Adrianza was a no doubter, a bomb, spanked tater.... a Thome Blast! Just what we needed, just what he needed. 

Hopefully, Odorizzi will inspire Pineda. We need him to really step up. 

Et tu, Adrianza?

At the current rate of HR production spilling out onto Knock-A-Thome Plaza, that area is going to resemble a lunar landscape by September.

• nicksaviking and Lasorda_This_Out like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#32 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:37 AM

I had this game penciled in as a loss before it even began.I kept waiting for Odo to have one of his Odo innings in the 5th then the 6th then the 7th and it never happened.Then I waited for the bullpen to mess his great pitching performance up and it never happened.When the game was over I sat in quiet disbelief wondering if what happened really just happened.Baseball is a crazy game.

• Oldgoat_MN, Circus Boy, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#33 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:37 AM

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that those improvements actually started last year, and that you could see a nice trend on him last fall.  

I'm beginning to think he's turned a corner. If so, great find by our front office. 

His last two months of the season were weird. It was almost as if he was trying to go back to more of a pitch to contact approach. The first four months he gave up an .802 OPS but his K% was 24.0 and his swinging strike rate was 11%. That produced a 4.58 ERA.

Then those last two months he limited opponents to just a .610 OPS, but his strikeout rate dropped to 20.0% and he was only getting swinging strikes 8% of the time. He had a 4.30 ERA over those final 10 starts. So it certainly appears after the team raised the white flag at the trade deadline Odorrizi started working on some things. Not all of those adjustments yielded great results -- he had a 5.06 ERA in September -- but maybe he discovered some things to build upon.

• diehardtwinsfan and MN_ExPat like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#34 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

I had this game penciled in as a loss before it even began. I kept waiting for Odo to have one of his Odo innings in the 5th then the 6th then the 7th and it never happened. Then I waited for the bullpen to mess his great pitching performance up and it never happened. When the game was over I sat in quiet disbelief wondering if what happened really just happened. Baseball is a crazy game.

It is a crazy game. That’s why I never pencil in losses.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#35 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

So who do we start in WS Game 4 against the Dodgers, Pineda or Perez?

no

• USAFChief likes this

#36 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:21 AM

AND WE CAN BUILD THIS DREAM TOGETHER

This is not Reddit, please dont. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#37 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:25 AM

Was that the best game Odorizzi has pitched as a Twin?I seem to remember one very good outing last year, but not the details.And wasn't it fun watching a real pitchers duel?Loved it!

Late last season he had a no-hitter through 7 against the Yankees and ended up being pulled in the 8th after losing the no-hitter ... Twins still won, but the game was late enough in the season, that it didn't matter.

I think last night was a bigger deal ... "To be the best, you gotta beat the best" and all that good stuff

• Original Whizzinator and rdehring like this

#38 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:28 AM

This was the most satisfying game of the year for me.Being old school a 1 - 0 game was significant.No late inning collapse, tight games are the ones that lead to championships.The bombs in Baltimore series was fun, but lets build off this one - two good teams playing toe to toe.

• Kevin, Hosken Bombo Disco, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#39 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:38 AM

A 1-0 pitcher's duel may be boring for some casual baseball fans who just want to watch homeruns... for someone who works many games at Target Field, a 2 hour-15 minute game is wonderful (particularly when the Twins win.)

• Seth Stohs, Hosken Bombo Disco, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#40 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:41 AM

Jake Odorizzi:
April 10: 0-2, 6.35 ERA
April 29: 3-2, 3.34 ERA

Even that doesn’t tell the entire story. He had an excellent start to open the season, a kinda bad 4.2 IP start, then a disaster start.

So really, he has been okay to great in all starts except one.
  • howieramone2, MN_ExPat and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, ehire adrianza, taylor rogers, blake parker