Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Marwin Gonzalez

versatility 5 for 5 contract third base defense
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:20 PM

Agree that Sano almost certainly has less range than Gonzalez but he has a cannon, so if the shifts are well planned and he's positioned optimally he should be able to throw out more batter-runners than just about anyone.

Third base shifts don't sent players into the stands.

In a shift, the throw is shorter, not longer.

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:28 PM

If Morrison or White would have been healthy, their numbers probably would have been in line with their career numbers. Likewise, when Gonzalez gets to 400-500 plate appearances at the end of the season, his OPS will be in that .670-.730 range like it has been four of the last five years. The .900 OPS season was the outlier, we assume. But he's also not going to stay at .450 OPS either (I assume, and again, if healthy).

How do we know Gonzalez isn’t hiding an injury? As Morridon supposedly was.
  • Sconnie likes this

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,907 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:32 AM

If Morrison or White would have been healthy, their numbers probably would have been in line with their career numbers. Likewise, when Gonzalez gets to 400-500 plate appearances at the end of the season, his OPS will be in that .670-.730 range like it has been four of the last five years. The .900 OPS season was the outlier, we assume. But he's also not going to stay at .450 OPS either (I assume, and again, if healthy).

.670 isn't going to be good enough, IMO.
We should be able to develop a utility player that can OPS .670.
As a matter of fact, we developed one that can OPS .730, and we let him go to Detroit.

For $10.5M per year, he'd better at least be able to top Goodrum's production.
  • h2oface likes this

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,873 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:25 AM

How do we know Gonzalez isn’t hiding an injury? As Morridon supposedly was.

We don't... 

But there's no reason to assume that until there is a reason. I mean, the swing looks good, strong. He looks really solid at third base. But, the shoulder was an issue in spring training and it is possible that could affect the swing. 

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,290 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

OK, let's pick nits. Marwin Gonzalez' worst OPS year where he exceeded 250 plate appearances was 2016, when he had an OPS of .694, his lifetime OPS is .731 and last yer's number was .733. We can probably agree that Gonzalez had a career year in 2017, but his stats in the other years since 2014 indicate he is a slightly above average offensive player, with defensive skill and flexibility. He just turned 30, so he's probably in the second half of his career, but he's not at an age where players usually fall off a cliff.

• Riverbrian, DocBauer and howieramone2 like this

#26 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,442 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:12 AM

Imagine how many years of Nick Punto we could have gotten for that price

Can we still?  

What's he up to?

• Riverbrian likes this

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,236 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:56 AM

I think Gonzalez's track record shows how extremely streaky he is. I liked the signing for his versatility but not for his bat. It will be nice when he's able to go back to a super-utility role; maybe that in itself will help him get back on track.

• Riverbrian and jokin like this

#28 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is regressing to the mean

• 2,018 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:07 AM

I believe Logan Morrison was healthy during his time with the Twins.
He injured his hip in mid-August.

I think it came out at the time that he had been dealing with the hip issue most of the season.

• howieramone2 likes this

#29 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

I think it came out at the time that he had been dealing with the hip issue most of the season.

Morrison had one notable year in his career and it was a given there would be some excuse near the end of the season as to why he regressed.

You can't hide hip pain. Every time you turn your body, it hurts. Was Morrison's run speed slower last year? Did his swing look different? Did he look strange when he bent over to pick up a bat or a ball? Did he grimace when sitting down or standing up? Did he avoid pregame stretching exercises because they were too painful? I think the answer to all of this stuff is no.

Edited by Doomtints, 29 April 2019 - 10:45 AM.

• ScrapTheNickname, Riverbrian and h2oface like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#30 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,815 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:59 PM

Morrison had one notable year in his career and it was a given there would be some excuse near the end of the season as to why he regressed.

You can't hide hip pain. Every time you turn your body, it hurts. Was Morrison's run speed slower last year? Did his swing look different? Did he look strange when he bent over to pick up a bat or a ball? Did he grimace when sitting down or standing up? Did he avoid pregame stretching exercises because they were too painful? I think the answer to all of this stuff is no.

I appear to agree with you.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#31 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

I think he is streaky and got going slow from spring injury, his bat will heat up.Players don't really end up with the "super versatile" skillset if they have hit well enough to lock down a premium position.

His home runs have been bombs, I was expecting more Escobar type wall scraper power.He seems to have a very patient approach at the plate which contrasts with how the rest of the lineup is attacking at bats. 

His glove has been impressive at 3rd which was a question mark going into the season.

He will be the positive asset they signed him to be once he can fill his proper role.

• Riverbrian, jokin, h2oface and 1 other like this

#32 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

Marwin Gonzalez starts every year slow if not ice cold.

This doesn't mean he will be Barry Bonds in September, mind you, I'm simply saying he is not yet playing out of character.

I still think the Twins paid 2x his market value, but there's not much we can do about that. 

• jokin and h2oface like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#33 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,823 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:28 PM

All utility players become over exposed when they are forced to play regularly.I think we are seeing that with Marwin.Hopefully Sano gives him 2 - 3 days a week to relax on the bench.

#34 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,693 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

.....Baseball Reference (and my eyes) say that Gonzalez has been good at third base so far this year. When Sano returns, he can be freed to be the guy who starts almost any place and is a solid veteran and a threat at the plate. It can't hurt to have quality depth in a long season and I think Marwin Gonzalez will provide that depth and versatility for the Twins has he did for the Astros.

Let's hope so.....

I was an advocate of the signing, and was hoping for it as soon as Escobar upped with Arizona. I always feel bad for the guy that goes to a new team and sucks right out of the gate.But after a month (maybe a month and a half), I definitely lose patience and lose the sympathy and go for the throat. I still think he will be fine, and he is historically a slow starter. Maybe he just shouldn't take a break in the off season.

Edited by h2oface, 29 April 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#35 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,693 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

I would hope they signed him with hopes of his 2017 year finding a home here, as well, and at least a reprise for 1 of the 2 years. If not, they way overpaid, and that is not like them. .670-.730 is really not all that exciting for 10 mil a year.  

#36 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,693 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Marwin Gonzalez starts every year slow if not ice cold.

This doesn't mean he will be Barry Bonds in September, mind you, I'm simply saying he is not yet playing out of character.

I still think the Twins paid 2x his market value, but there's not much we can do about that. 

.... and he and his agent wanted a ton more than that!  Until Sano comes back, especially carrying 13 pitchers and Astudillo being on the IL, the only other option on the 25 man is Adrianza, and that is not going well, either. I just wish they didn't have to use him so much for/during the slow starts...... 

Edited by h2oface, 29 April 2019 - 02:59 PM.

• Doomtints likes this

#37 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,423 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

Or more importantly... DID THE TEAM PUT HIM ON THE D.L. because the hip injury was causing him to crash and burn? 

Listing an injury as an excuse for poor performance is worse than simple poor performance. 

• Doomtints likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#38 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,423 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

All utility players become over exposed when they are forced to play regularly.I think we are seeing that with Marwin.Hopefully Sano gives him 2 - 3 days a week to relax on the bench.

All? 

Marwin has had over 500 PA's each of the past 3 years.

He's been exposed. He ain't a getaway guy. 

• ScrapTheNickname, jokin and DocBauer like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#39 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,886 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:14 PM

Me, trying to be smart...errr...whatever:

1] Marwin has always been a bit of a slow starter. This year, he got a late start due to a late signing, etc, etc. He's not a flash in the pan mid 30's utility guy holding on. Things will even out. He's a very, very nice ballplayer. But he is not an offensive force. He is a very versatile and good ballplayer who does a lot of things well. And he will that for this team.

2] I really like the way Rocco has been handling the team thus far in most scenarios. What I DON'T like is the way he has handled Marwin and 3B. And this is not to bang on the job Marwin has done at 3B, which has been excellent! And this goes back to something I spoke about when the season started, and which Brian commented on in a rather long, poignant, firm tongue-in-cheek but accurate post a few days ago. Why has Marwin been stuck at 3B? Before his recent, unfortunate, injury, Astudillo has clearly shown he can play a solid/quality 3B.

I have argued from the outset Astudillo should be playing 3B at least 50% of the time and let Marwin do what he does best, be a super utility player. Would that change his slow start? Who knows. But when you have real, viable options at your disposal, you should be playing to those options! Why not Astudillo at 3B and the faster and more experienced Marwin in RF instead of the reverse?

Head scratcher for me.

I think Gonzalez will be fine. A day or two off might be needed, or a chance to play another spot couldn't hurt, but he will be fine.

Hopefully, Astudillo will be back very soon, and be his usual self. Hopefully, Marwin will settle in. 20 days from now, hopefully, we will be figuring out how the hell we keep everyone on the roster when Sano is ready.
  • Riverbrian, jokin, mikelink45 and 1 other like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#40 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 399 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

I thought all winter that he would be a perfect piece for us. I still do. Its not really fair to compare his salary to Punto's because the market is way different now. (also I dont remember Punto's outfield capabilities). Marwin is a notoriously slow starter who has thrived in a utility role for the Astros since 2012. The most important reason he is here I feel, is the versatility and flexibility he provides the lineup. As does Astudillo. In this day and age 10 million a year is a bargain for a guy who comes from a world championship program and arguably a Championship favorite contending team for the forseeable future. I dont think he will hit like he did in 2017, but he wont be the player we have seen in April, 2019 either. For those that bemoan his stats thus far, ask yourself where we'd be with Adrianza or who knows who else at 3b this past two months. He has a proven track record. He will be aight. If you dont believe me just ask AJ Hinch.
  • Riverbrian likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: versatility, 5 for 5, contract, third base defense