Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Is this the Real Schoop?

brian dozier minnesota twins jorge polanco jonathan schoop
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

I get the Os on TV in the MASN market and saw Schoop at his best 2 years ago. I knew he would be an upgrade from Dozier especially in the intangible category. Dozier was/is in the Mauer camp of no spark, no fire; just show up and play and go home/hotel and do it again the next day. Schoop actually acts like he wants to win baseball games and enjoys playing baseball. I loved it when he hit the home run off Chris Davis and as he headed down to first looked at Davis and grinned. Not at Davis but seeing the humor in the situation and the enjoyment of it. Davis smiled back. Can't see Dozier doing that in a million years.

Brian Dozier's Glorious Smile:

ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif

• ashbury likes this

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

Nats just called up rookie infield prospect Kierboom to play every day in the IF somewhere also. Looks like the Nationals are already moving Dozier to a backup or platoon role.

Trea Turner is still on the DL IL for the Nationals though too. I suspect Kierboom will take most of his playing time from Difo at SS.

• bighat likes this

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,975 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:39 AM

Nats just called up rookie infield prospect Kierboom to play every day in the IF somewhere also. Looks like the Nationals are already moving Dozier to a backup or platoon role.

Turner is hurt with Difo playing SS. Rendon is banged up and Dozier is struggling. You are right Kieboom will play but there are many choices as for where he plays.

I’m pretty happy with the Schoop for Dozier trade we made so far.
  • spycake and bighat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#24 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:46 AM

Poor Dozier, he's hitting just .183 with a paltry .632 OPS. He's always a slow starter, but I didn't suspect his career would take such a 180 degree turn into becoming this so quickly.

Obviously it's all small sample right now, but since an awful first 7 games of the season (.080 AVG, .195 OPS), Dozier has an .861 OPS in his last 14 games, which is comparable to Schoop's season line of .887 (although Schoop in turn has a 1.028 OPS after his first 7 games!).

#25 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 145 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

I get the Os on TV in the MASN market and saw Schoop at his best 2 years ago. I knew he would be an upgrade from Dozier especially in the intangible category. Dozier was/is in the Mauer camp of no spark, no fire; just show up and play and go home/hotel and do it again the next day. Schoop actually acts like he wants to win baseball games and enjoys playing baseball. I loved it when he hit the home run off Chris Davis and as he headed down to first looked at Davis and grinned. Not at Davis but seeing the humor in the situation and the enjoyment of it. Davis smiled back. Can't see Dozier doing that in a million years.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. Brian Dozier is a very passionate guy that wants to win as much or more than most and is a good clubhouse influence. I knew he had the confidence to succeed in the majors; just didn't see the power developing like it did. I'm pulling for him to get going at the plate for the Nats; maybe start spraying the ball around again. I didn't think we would sign Schoop but I'm glad we did. Two years ago, whoever thought he'd be playing 2B for the Twins?

Edited by AceWrigley, 26 April 2019 - 09:21 AM.

• Ex-Iowegian, Joe A. Preusser and MMMordabito like this

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

Of all the issues I had with Dozier, his desire and passion for the game were never even remotely in doubt.
  • birdwatcher, snepp, Ex-Iowegian and 4 others like this

#27 denarded

denarded

• 100 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:14 AM

Is which Schoop the real Schoop?

The .143/.200/.179 hitter in 9 games at Target Field?

Or the .372/.426/.791 hitter in 11 games on the road?

I'm thinking the real Schoop hasn't showed himself yet. Those splits are bizarre.

Maybe the weather? Although it's been cold everywhere they've gone...

Wikipedia is for suckers

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,734 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

Is which Schoop the real Schoop?

The .143/.200/.179 hitter in 9 games at Target Field?

Or the .372/.426/.791 hitter in 11 games on the road?

I'm thinking the real Schoop hasn't showed himself yet. Those splits are bizarre.

While that's not good, the team has a .127 point OPS differential at home vs on the road. No one likes hitting in the cold.

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#29 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,068 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:36 PM

Schoop has really impressed me defensively. Good hands, great arm. Turns the DP as deftly as you'll ever see.

So even if he quits hitting, he's not a total liability. Seems like a popular guy too, which never hurts over a long season.
  • Blake and snepp like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#30 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,109 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

I confess to not watching as much as usual so far this season. In another thread, I said Schoop's contributions had been "inconsequential", mostly because he hit his homers in one-sided games. I think he is fine defensively, but I haven't seen anything that sets him apart. 

I think he'll be OK this year and yes, probably better than Dozier (I really liked him while he was here), but I'd like to see him change a few games before I call his addition a masterstroke.

#31 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• 1,315 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:39 AM

Of all the issues I had with Dozier, his desire and passion for the game were never even remotely in doubt.

I suspect many of us would say the exact same thing about JM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, minnesota twins, jorge polanco, jonathan schoop