Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

News on Sano?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:04 PM

Crickets?

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,126 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Or Kiriloff, Gonsalves, Gordon? Wasn't Kiriloff supposed to be short term?
  • jokin, nytwinsfan, curt1965 and 1 other like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#3 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

From today's Pioneer Press:

"Baldelli said third baseman Miguel Sano had begun playing in extended spring training games in Fort Myers, Fla., as he works his way back. Sano suffered a cut on his lower-right Achilles area in late January. ... “I think a lot of what’s going on with him right now is focused mainly around his strength and conditioning, getting outside, running around, sweating, getting on his feet as much as possible,” Baldelli said. “We were trying to make up a lot of time. We’re not going to rush to do that but we do have to make up for the spring training that he missed."

I'm not as concerned with Sano's batting average, but I do hope he's eating heart-healthy lettuce wraps, lentils, and glazed salmon for dinner tonight.

• glunn, birdwatcher, gil4 and 5 others like this

#4 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:41 PM

I just keeping seeing him swing and miss on sliders away.
  • Dman likes this

#5 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:07 PM

He's gonna have to win his job back. Maybe he can pitch out of the bullpen. Be like a pseudo Ohteni dude. One of the catchers with options better not mess up. Adrianza walkin on real thin ice too.

#6 LifeLongTwinsfan

LifeLongTwinsfan

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:23 PM

Sano should slot right back into everyday 3rd baseman if it was up to me. Gonzalez will still find plenty of at bats, Sano can play 1B once in a while as well.

• gunnarthor, raindog, h2oface and 2 others like this

#7 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

I don't think there's any question that 3B is his as soon as he's ready. Gonzalez made his case for being an everyday player and so far his .470 OPS has made clear he is best suited to a role as a super utility role off the bench.

• Thrylos, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 6 others like this

#8 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,006 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:46 AM

Third base production for the Twins so far this year......... Gonzalez/Astudillo/Adrianza

.195/.258/.515    http://www.espn.com/...type/2/split/81

82 ABs, 13 singles, 2 doubles, 1 homer, 5 RBI, 6 BBs, 16Ks 

I don't think Sano has to do much more than be ready to play to get the full time job.

Edited by h2oface, 25 April 2019 - 12:49 AM.

• Thrylos, scottz, gunnarthor and 5 others like this

#9 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:40 AM

They are taking a really, I mean really, slow approach, not only extended spring training, but also stops at multiple minors teams. Of course, two of them are now in Florida.

I’m not sure I’m crazy about the approach, but they’ve made their minds to do it this way and are sticking with it. It should be a nice shot n the arm to get him back in the line-up in a couple of weeks.

It might actually help Marwin to allow him to move back into the super-utility role instead of one position.

I’m also eager for Miguel to get time with Cruz.
  • SF Twins Fan, bighat and caninatl04 like this

#10 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:19 AM

We saw the result of him coming back last year not healthy, not ready. Prep him right.

• birdwatcher, Dantes929, woolywoolhouse and 4 others like this

#11 Post-Concussive Blues

Post-Concussive Blues

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:17 AM

Is Sanó on the MLB or minor league DL? He was recalled to the majors last year, right? If not, it may have significant service time implications.

#12 REPETE

REPETE

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:27 AM

Is Sanó on the MLB or minor league DL? He was recalled to the majors last year, right? If not, it may have significant service time implications.

You mean IL.  

put a quarter in the DL jar.

• ashbury, ScrapTheNickname, Dantes929 and 7 others like this

#13 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:33 AM

I still think that Sano is a walking (barely, evidently) accident waiting to happen and, as soon as he recovers from the last one, its on to the next one. Make all the excuses you want for that accident during a celebration in the DR and then the ridiculously long recovery time. That story raises as many questions as it answers. If/when he comes back he will either play himself out of the position or, if he is actually performing up to his All Star level, the next trip to the injured list will be right around the (hot) corner.

The rest of the month at Target should be interesting and then let the season begin.

• caninatl04 and Channing1964 like this

#14 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

The Twins don't treat Sano right, generally speaking. But Sano doesn't treat Sano right either.

I don't think this organization has what Sano needs to succeed.

"Take it slow" is the right tactic, but what's the overall strategy with Sano? We were told he was sending weekly or daily videos of him working out to the team, then he shows up unable to walk. Uhm?

It's been evident for a couple of years that the Twins aren't the right team for Sano. Maybe they were when Bill Smith signed him, but they're not now and they haven't been since Smith was demoted.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#15 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

I'm not as concerned with Sano's batting average, but I do hope he's eating heart-healthy lettuce wraps, lentils, and glazed salmon for dinner tonight.

Except grilled salmon, no glaze unless he's under 240.

• ScrapTheNickname, bighat and caninatl04 like this

#16 PharmerJack

PharmerJack

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

If/when he comes back he will either play himself out of the position or, if he is actually performing up to his All Star level, the next trip to the injured list will be right around the (hot) corner.

Petition to boot Numer3 off this board for his shameful pun.

• birdwatcher, Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

Keep your stick on the ice.

Ad Code Goes Here GOOD

#17 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

Or Kiriloff, Gonsalves, Gordon? Wasn't Kiriloff supposed to be short term?

I agree Mike - how about updates on any of the other injuries to key members of the system.I'd toss Reed into that as well.

I also have not seen any comments on the number of injuries that seem to have hit key members of the system.Sano notwithstanding, 3 big league BP arms and 4 of the teams top 15 prospects all ended up "injured".Why?What changed that could have contributed to that?  

I know that we see some injuries during spring training but this seems excessive. 

I think there might be some bad mojo surrounding the Twins and then i look at the Yankees and realize it could be worse.

• caninatl04 and Channing1964 like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#18 Ex-Iowegian

Ex-Iowegian

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:05 AM

I thought the timeline was early to mid May? Why the rush?

Skip the facts, just gimme the details.

#19 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

He's gonna have to win his job back. Maybe he can pitch out of the bullpen. Be like a pseudo Ohteni dude. One of the catchers with options better not mess up. Adrianza walkin on real thin ice too.

Don't be so harsh on Sano. If he could play 150 games he could hit 40 HRs. I can see the frustration as you want to get production out of him this early in his career at age 26.

He should have had his heel problem dealt with more professionally though things happen. It will be interesting to see what he gets in arbitration and if the Twins could buy out a few years?

What would you take in a trade right now realistically?
  • Doubles, howieramone2 and Channing1964 like this

#20 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

MLB IL. He was last on a MLB roster.