Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Stewart, Romero Up... Cave, Duffey Down

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,138 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:49 AM

The Twins announced this morning that Kohl Stewart and Fernando Romero were being called up today. Stewart ,as we knew, will start tonight against the Astros. Romero is a bit more surprising, ,though they are likely protecting themselves from a short start by Stewart. 

No surprise that Tyler Duffey was optioned, but with the second pitcher called up, Jake Cave was also optioned. 

• glunn and ToddlerHarmon like this

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,896 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

Probably a permanent switch to a bigger pen? Cave is useless. Gonzalez can cover corner OF, they shouldn't be resting any of the three OFers more than once every couple months anyway.
  • Blake, TheLeviathan, ChrisKnutson and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

Magill has been almost perfect in his 4 rehab appearances, including a 2 inning outing on the 22nd. Don’t know why they wouldn’t just activate him.

#4 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

April 24th. Didn't take too long to go from 11 to 13 pitchers, did it?

I think Cave is the choice to put in the starting lineup most days if one of Buxton, Kepler, Rosario were to go on the IL. But it was obvious that Cave was the bench player for which Baldelli was having the hardest time getting at-bats. So, makes sense in that regard. When a random rest day is needed it will have to be Adrianza, Gonzalez, or even Astudillo out there....which would still leave two options after Sano comes back. Maybe it will be different later in the season when more rest days may be in order for the three main guys.

• Dman, dbminn, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,300 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:05 AM

Magill has been almost perfect in his 4 rehab appearances, including a 2 inning outing on the 22nd. Don’t know why they wouldn’t just activate him.

If Magill just threw 2 innings on Monday night, they probably don't want to count on him for long relief on Wednesday night. Particularly just coming off the DL.

I suspect Romero might go back down tomorrow to activate Magill. (Or Harper could be optioned instead.)

Edited by spycake, 24 April 2019 - 09:10 AM.

• curt1965, howieramone2 and wsnydes like this

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

Magill doesn't have minor league options. They are milking his rehab stint, because once they activate him, he has to stay. Romero first then Magill is possible - Magill then Romero isn't. And if Romero succeeds, there will be some other candidate to demote when Magill has to be activated.

Always do the possible, first.

• nicksaviking, SwainZag, PseudoSABR and 11 others like this

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#7 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:19 AM

Who knows how it will work out, but I like the use of the 40 man so far in 2019. I like Cave and I like Duffey when he's on. But this is a good use of options.

Come on, Stewart! Get those 'stros.

• Dman and blindeke like this

#8 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

Magill doesn't have minor league options. They are milking his rehab stint, because once they activate him, he has to stay. Romero first then Magill is possible - Magill then Romero isn't. And if Romero succeeds, there will be some other candidate to demote when Magill has to be activated.

Always use the guy who gives you a better chance to win. ALWAYS. If Magill comes up and stinks you cut him loose and don’t think twice about it.

#9 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

Who knows how it will work out, but I like the use of the 40 man so far in 2019. I like Cave and I like Duffey when he's on. But this is a good use of options.

Come on, Stewart! Get those 'stros.

I’m not old enough to remember when Duffey was on.
  • Vanimal46, 3balls2strikes and KFEY93 like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,823 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

I’m not old enough to remember when Duffey was on.

2015 seems like a lifetime ago...
  • Blake and Channing1964 like this

#11 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,058 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:29 AM

April 24th. Didn't take too long to go from 11 to 13 pitchers, did it?

I mean, that was the plan all along, wasn’t it?
  • ashbury, dbminn, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,138 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

These moves make sense. I hope they work.
  • woolywoolhouse, MMMordabito and The Mask of Zoilo like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#13 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

Always use the guy who gives you a better chance to win. ALWAYS. If Magill comes up and stinks you cut him loose and don’t think twice about it.

I prefer a front office who thinks about asset management. :)

I'm far from a Magill woofer. I don't think he brings a lot to the table. If they cut him loose, I'm probably fine with that. I just don't see a reason to cut an asset sooner than you have to.

If Romero had done better in his one major league appearance so far, I'd go along with your rule of thumb and say that it happens this time to coincide with mine. But I'm not confident Romero will be effective.

• luckylager, glunn, birdwatcher and 7 others like this

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#14 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,632 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but in this particular case I think that's a bit shortsighted. It's not as though there are younger pitchers knocking down the door needing to be added to the 40 man. He's still a more known commodity than most in AAA. Cut him and that likely means more Duffey. I'm guessing that neither of us would argue that he gives this team a better chance to win in the long run or even the short term. In house options are pretty limited.

Obviously they could use that spot and bring someone else in, but if that was their thinking then why have they not already done that with other players?

• MMMordabito likes this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#15 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:41 AM

After one game?

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#16 LifeLongTwinsfan

LifeLongTwinsfan

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:48 AM

Hopefully this fixes the bullpen! Go Twins!

• nicksaviking likes this

#17 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,300 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:49 AM

I don't even think it's that complicated, in this situation.

They really need someone capable of pitching length tonight, Wednesday night, to back up Stewart.

Romero hasn't pitched since Saturday, and has had a full healthy spring/season so far. He could almost certainly throw 30-40 pitches tonight, if necessary.

Magill had an abbreviated spring, and just threw a season-high 26 pitches (2 innings) for Rochester on Monday night. They probably don't want to push him beyond that in his MLB season debut.

They might switch out Magill for Romero or Harper as soon as Friday.

• scottz, WLFINN, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#18 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:51 AM

There is no need for 13 pitchers (or 12 for that matter).There is a need for at least 13 non-pitchers.

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.

• lecroy24fan, PDX Twin and sloopjont like this

#19 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 482 posts

Hopefully this fixes the bullpen! Go Twins!

Oh, BTW, Welcome!

• nicksaviking and dbminn like this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,138 posts

I don't even think it's that complicated, in this situation.

They really need someone capable of pitching length tonight, Wednesday night, to back up Stewart.

Romero hasn't pitched since Saturday, and has had a full healthy spring/season so far. He could almost certainly throw 30-40 pitches tonight, if necessary.

Magill had an abbreviated spring, and just threw a season-high 26 pitches (2 innings) for Rochester on Monday night. They probably don't want to push him beyond that in his MLB season debut.

They might switch out Magill for Romero or Harper as soon as Friday.

This.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....