Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 4, HOU 10: Springer and Bregman and Altuve... Oh My!

eddie rosario michael pineda max kepler trevor hildenberger jonathan schoop
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 PharmerJack

PharmerJack

Elizabethton Twins

• 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:08 AM

I am curious as to why Rocco didn't bring in the Jolly Roger if his intent was only to get the one out against one of the better left-handed hitters around...

Perhaps he was still thinking today would be a "Bullpen day" and wanted to save Rogers arm to get a few innings out of him? Not sure bringing him in to face one batter would affect that though...

• Aerodeliria likes this

Keep your stick on the ice.

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,556 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

I'm guessing Duffey is sent down to make room for Stewart?

Yes. Likely Duffey goes down today, Stewart comes up for the start. Then Stewart goes down tomorrow, and Magill is activated.

• nokomismod and wsnydes like this

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,307 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

I never would have guessed this pitching staff wasn't all that good..... Can't wait for next year when the starters are Berrios and four random guys.
  • Oldgoat_MN, Doomtints, rghrbek and 1 other like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,396 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:38 AM

I never would have guessed this pitching staff wasn't all that good..... Can't wait for next year when the starters are Berrios and four random guys.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#25 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,396 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

Are both on regular rest? Perhaps it would be Stewart's regular day to pitch and that's not the case with Littell?

Stewart pitched on the 18th. He would be on 5 days. Littell pitched on the 19th. He would be on 4.

#26 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 962 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

Angel Hernandez should be fired.I'm sure Houston would agree too.  

• tarheeltwinsfan, WLFINN and rdehring like this

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

Not sure I understand the logic of Stewart over Littell. Stewart’s first start of the year was good. The last two were terrible. By contrast, Littell’s first start was bad but his most recent two were pretty good. His last start was 5 2/3 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K.

My guess would be that Stewart is a groundball pitcher, in a flyball hitters park.

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,396 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

My guess would be that Stewart is a groundball pitcher, in a flyball hitters park.

Stewart has allowed more flyballs than groundballs this year.

For their respective careers, Littell has a GO/AO ratio of 1.3. Stewart’s is 1.7.

#29 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

A member of Twinkie Town just predicted what our pitching staff will look like in the next few years. You'll recognize all the names. Doesn't look like we are going to sign one of those free agent starting pitchers to a terrible contract.

Edited by howieramone2, 24 April 2019 - 12:04 PM.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,307 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:06 PM

A member of Twinkie Town just predicted what our pitching staff will look like in the next few years. You'll recognize all the names. Doesn't look like we are going to sign one those starting pitchers to a terrible contract which you are so fond of.

Good luck with that next year, which was what the post was about. You think four new pitchers are likely to create a good staff?

No great team builds only thru the draft or trades.

#31 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

Good luck with that next year, which was what the post was about. You think four new pitchers are likely to create a good staff?

I believe we signed 5 or 6 free agents. They seem to be working out fairly well. Too bad about Darvish. He's not real popular on the Cubbie fan boards.

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,307 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

I believe we signed 5 or 6 free agents. They seem to be working out fairly well. Too bad about Darvish. He's not real popular on the Cubbie fan boards.

It is too bad that a human got hurt. Agreed. I've never claimed every free agent works, just as most minor league players don't. All that financial flexibility means nothing if you won't spend it later, because free agents are too risky.

As for the free agents on this roster.... They could have signed some pitching.... And still done what they did.

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,307 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

Which again, ignores the post....

#34 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 365 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

Will we need 4 new pitchers to the rotation?Perez has an option if he works out.Hopefully someone from Stewart, Mejia, Romero, etc. will finally be able to take on a full-time role.

This flexibility probably isn't a bad thing with the early results from Odorizzi, Pineda, and Gibson.I'm not wishing any of them were locked up long term currently.

We should (hopefully) only need to fill 1 maybe 2 rotation spots externally for next season.

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,307 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:59 PM

Will we need 4 new pitchers to the rotation? Perez has an option if he works out. Hopefully someone from Stewart, Mejia, Romero, etc. will finally be able to take on a full-time role.

This flexibility probably isn't a bad thing with the early results from Odorizzi, Pineda, and Gibson. I'm not wishing any of them were locked up long term currently.

We should (hopefully) only need to fill 1 maybe 2 rotation spots externally for next season.

Four spots with players not currently pitching in the majors, yes. Berrios and four new players.

#36 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 365 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

Four spots with players not currently pitching in the majors, yes. Berrios and four new players.

Berrios, Perez, Mejia (3 pitchers currently in the majors) and 2 others, possibly from our own organization.

Here is a look at all nine free agent starting pitchers that accepted a contract of 2 years or more.66% of these pitchers have an ERA over 4.36 so far.

JA Happ 2 years 5.96 era

Anibal Sanchez 2 years 4.91 era

Charlie Morton 2 years 3.38 era

Garrett Richards 2 years 3.54 era

Merrill Kelly 2 years 4.37 era (rookie)

Lance Lynn 3 years 6.51 era

Nathan Eovaldi 4 years 6.00 era (just had shoulder surgery)

Yusei Kikuchi 4 years 4.68 era (rookie)

Patrick Corbin 6 years 2.48 era

Edited by SomeGuy, 24 April 2019 - 01:14 PM.

• howieramone2 likes this

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,307 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

Berrios, Perez, Mejia (3 pitchers currently in the majors) and 2 others, possibly from our own organization.

Here is a look at all nine free agent starting pitchers that accepted a contract of 2 years or more. 66% of these pitchers have an ERA over 4.36 so far.

JA Happ 2 years 5.96 era
Anibal Sanchez 2 years 4.91 era
Charlie Morton 2 years 3.38 era
Garrett Richards 2 years 3.54 era
Merrill Kelly 2 years 4.37 era (rookie)
Lance Lynn 3 years 6.51 era
Nathan Eovaldi 4 years 6.00 era (just had shoulder surgery)
Yusei Kikuchi 4 years 4.68 era (rookie)
Patrick Corbin 6 years 2.48 era

How is that compared to what you expect Stewart or Mejia to do? The only two I wanted were the two best so far. And, neither Stewart or Mejia is a starter in the majors this year, so yes, four new starters.

People really want to have one veteran starter next year? Berrios?
  • wsnydes likes this

#38 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 365 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

How is that compared to what you expect Stewart or Mejia to do? The only two I wanted were the two best so far. And, neither Stewart or Mejia is a starter in the majors this year, so yes, four new starters.

People really want to have one veteran starter next year? Berrios?

Mejia's career ERA of 4.14 as a starter and Stewart's ERA of 3.68 (1.33 when used with opener) compare well.Factor in their age and potential for growth and it is a favorable comparison. 

Berrios, Perez, and 3 "new" starters (that will likely have MLB starting experience with the Twins)

We will probably sign or trade for one aging (declining) veteran, don't expect 4.

• howieramone2 likes this

#39 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,841 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:28 PM

Will we need 4 new pitchers to the rotation? Perez has an option if he works out. Hopefully someone from Stewart, Mejia, Romero, etc. will finally be able to take on a full-time role.

This flexibility probably isn't a bad thing with the early results from Odorizzi, Pineda, and Gibson. I'm not wishing any of them were locked up long term currently.

The early return on Perez hasn't been great either. So we hope he lasts as a back end starter all year? Then we hope either Stewart or Romero become stable enough to stick in the rotation? Those are two huge question marks and even if the Twins luck out there are two remaining spots to fill. It also doesn't address the desperate need for front end arms. It's a bad situation.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#40 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,669 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:37 PM

Man, Rosario!The Twins aren't a juggernaut by any means, but I feel much less pessimistic this year than in years past.I feel like this lineup can erupt on ANY pitcher, at any time. 

Similarly, I feel like the pitching isn't horrible, but I do feel like ANY lineup could erupt against them, at any time.That it was three of the best offensive players in the league doesn't surprise me in the leas

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and Danchat like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, michael pineda, max kepler, trevor hildenberger, jonathan schoop