Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Nick Burdi

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 zwiefz

zwiefz

• 42 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:28 AM

I saw a couple weeks ago that Nick Burdi was doing great with the Pirates.I know it has been a while since the Twins lost him in the Rule 5.But I also knew that he spent all of last year injured and couldn't remember how all the specifics of Rule 5 worked(I now know the answers).After seeing how amazing his numbers were I couldn't help but thinking: 1)Damn, it sucks that the Twins couldn't keep him around and 2)despite that I know why they left him unprotected.

However, today I saw the following article on Sports Illustrated.

https://www.si.com/m...tching-prospect

No matter what team a kid plays for, that video made me a little sick to my stomach.He clearly had busted his tail to come back from injury, was living his dream and living up to his potential, and then POOF, it looks like his dream is gone on one pitch.

I always root for ex-Twins and ex-Twins prospects. Just wanted to start a thread to wish Nick well(even though I know he'll never see it:) )

• ashbury, USAFChief, luckylager and 3 others like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:43 AM

Yeah, good luck to him, I hope he recovers and gets another shot; and I don't care what uniform he's wearing.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,610 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:47 AM

I don't care what uniform he's wearing.

Yeah you do... If Burdi was wearing a White Sox uniform we would hope for bad luck.

#4 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 373 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:49 AM

I thought leaving Burdi unprotected in the rule 5 draft was a mistake and this season he was really making me wish we had him in our bullpen. Another major injury would be unfortunate and would basically mean he would have only been able to pitch around 40 total innings in the 2016-19 seasons (4 years). I was a firm believer this was going to be the year he had a breakout season and hope he can get his career on track after all the misfortune.

#5 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:52 AM

Yeah you do... If Burdi was wearing a White Sox uniform we would hope for bad luck.

His brother Zack Burdi is in the White Sox system...

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,126 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:54 AM

Wow, van... did you watch the video?
  • ashbury likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#7 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

"We didn't need him" - Dan Barreiro

#8 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 944 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:23 AM

I wish the best for Nick Burdi.That video reminds me of the Joel Zumaya injury.It's devastating to the player. He had the strength and technique to throw 100, but his ligaments just weren't built for the wear and tear.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

Nope, bad win/loss record maybe, but no more of this stuff. I hope he ends up with a few good stories about his time in the MLB to tell his grandkids.

• kenbuddha likes this

#10 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• 494 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

His brother Zack Burdi is in the White Sox system...

Exactly.

#11 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 569 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:44 AM

Initial reports are indicating that he's suffering from right biceps and elbow pain. If I were a gambler I'd be putting money on him needing another TJ surgery. Best of luck to him

Edited by TFRazor, 23 April 2019 - 07:44 AM.

#12 luckylager

luckylager

• 379 posts
  • LocationStuck in the middle

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

Man, that was heart wrenching to watch. I wish him the best (even if he does eventually go on to pitch for the White Sox). 

#13 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:33 AM

However, today I saw the following article on Sports Illustrated.

https://www.si.com/m...tching-prospect

I don't read SI except the occasional link from here, but that was a wonderfully written article. Kudos to Ms. Baccellieri. Sympathy to Mr. Burdi.

• SQUIRREL likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#14 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:57 AM

Heart breaking. :(

He is not holding his arm in a place which would normally indicate a need for TJ surgery, but he is holding his arm which could indicate a biceps tear at the elbow. If that's what this is, it's probably the end of his career.

This is a very painful injury, as you can see... assuming that's what this is.

• Nine of twelve likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,839 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

That's horrible for him. Hope he gets back on the mound.

#16 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

The Pirates have a great team over there. The players are really coming around him and showing their support.

• Shaitan likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

It makes me sad these guys sacrifice their bodies for our entertainment. I hate injuries.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#18 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

Update at MLBTR:

https://www.mlbtrade...arm-injury.html

"ESPN’s Jeff Passan tweets some encouraging news following Burdi’s MRI. While the imaging did reveal strains in the right-hander’s biceps tendon and flexor mass, there’s no break or complete tear of anything in Burdi’s arm. He’ll be sidelined for an indefinite period of time, but it seems that he may have avoided the need for another surgery."

• SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 4 others like this

#19 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,249 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

Update at MLBTR:

https://www.mlbtrade...arm-injury.html

"ESPN’s Jeff Passan tweets some encouraging news following Burdi’s MRI. While the imaging did reveal strains in the right-hander’s biceps tendon and flexor mass, there’s no break or complete tear of anything in Burdi’s arm. He’ll be sidelined for an indefinite period of time, but it seems that he may have avoided the need for another surgery."

If that's the prognosis, the tough part will be pitching without fear. I have no idea how that can be done, after this incident.

• gunnarthor, howieramone2, bighat and 1 other like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#20 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

I hope Dan Winkler reaches out. Dan's given great interviews about coming back and being comfortable again on the mound going full-effort after his dramatic injury.

• ashbury likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!