Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/22): Dobnak Dazzles... Again!

randy dobnak brian schales randy cesar brusdar graterol royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

A month ago, it seemed that any number of Rochester starters could be knocking at the door by the end of April. Instead, it's impossible to find one to whom you'd want to give a major-league start right now. Everyone's results have been pretty bad. Will have to go with whoever has been pitching best (despite results) among Littell, Thorpe, Stewart...and hope for the best.

Meanwhile, Rortvedt has been the best offensive player among prospects on this list...by a pretty wide margin. Good for Rortvedt, but not what plans or expectations were. Combination of injuries and slow starts has made tracking the position-player prospect list a bit...underwhelming so far.

I agree. I never would have thought all three would get off to slow starts and Gonsalves getting hurt. I thought we had decent depth to handle situations like this.

Edited by howieramone2, 23 April 2019 - 03:15 PM.

#22 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• 2,003 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Frank Robinson would name him "Klank" . . . probably.

We need someone to give his glove the special Gene Mauch/Willie Norwood hot glove treatment.

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,488 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

Why is Rooker not playing lately?

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

Someone on the 40 man. 

Littel?Who else?

Yeah it's likely a spot start, so you wouldn't want to make a 40-man roster decision unless you absolutely had to.

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

Cesar is all-hit, no-hands, as Seth noted. He notched his 8th error in 9 games at 3b yesterday.

It was 7 errors in 7 games, so he's improving... 

• ashbury likes this

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

Stewart would be scheduled to go for Rochester tomorrow I think.I might prefer him over Littell since he has a propensity for ground balls and fly balls have a propensity to leave Minute Maid Park.I'd have to think that the Twins infield would back him up way better than the Red Wings' has.

Littell would be scheduled to go Thursday but will have 4 days of rest tomorrow so he's certainly an option too.

Yeah, I'd go with Stewart on his regular rest. Also, he pitched well in Houston last year in one outing. It''s home for him. Most important it's his regular day so you aren't pushing Littell up. The other option could be to go bullpen game tonight and have Thorpe go on an extra day rest but I don't 'think that makes a lot of sense either. Most likely, they have already made that decision for travel purposes. 

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

Why is Rooker not playing lately?

Hamstring. I included that in the Prospect information last night. 

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:59 PM

Poppen is not on the 40-man and he pitched on Saturday, so he's not an option on 3 days rest.He's got pretty good velocity (above average but not plus), his secondary stuff is more average-ish I think.

Poppen throws 94-96 so I think that's pretty good.

But I agree that he''s not an option. Not on the 40-man. No reason to push him straight from AA. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: randy dobnak, brian schales, randy cesar, brusdar graterol, royce lewis