Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Dave St. Peter on Expectations, Attendance and Concessions

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 176 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:54 PM

St. Peter is absolutely clueless on what fans want.

Agree 100%. Attendance dropping from 3.2M to 1.9M should give any common sense owner that whatever it is you are doing.. it is wrong! From the price of admission to $10 beers, $6 hotdogs and a losing team why would anyone RUSH to Target Field? Oh the new monthly pricing is great for the local fans in the Twin cities but for those of us that live too far away to come to that many games how does that help us? It doesn't! Guess he doesn't realize that some of his fan base is outside the city limits. With the high cost of admission and concessions the average Joe's like myself won't be coming to any games to watch a team of losers. We want our moneys worth if we make the trip, so prove you have a team on the field that can win and not just compete, yes there is a difference. Then the fans will start coming back.

• Minny505 likes this

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,389 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

It isn’t just the Twins. Since peaking in 2007, attendance across MLB is down over 4000 per game.

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:03 PM

Agreed, but they seem to be approaching ludicrous speed proportions these days.

In my opinion, bleeding fans dry is a huge problem for baseball.All sports are overpriced, but relative to games played, baseball is pretty unique

Pretty soon they are going to be trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.I hope more people, even if it's done as absurdly as St. Peter did here, realize the problem and reverse course soon.Or in our lifetimes baseball will be the new boxing or horse racing.  

Edited by TheLeviathan, 21 April 2019 - 08:07 PM.

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#24 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• 1,455 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:07 PM

If the cost of a Hot Dog is $1 to the Twins, and the price of employing the vendor is fixed.Would $3 hot dogs end up generating more money?

I have two kids, and paying $12 for two hot dogs is insane especially since one will likely drop it or only eat half.So we generally skip it all together.

If the Hot Dogs were $3, I would easily buy 2, probably even 3 and get one for myself.  

So, if priced right the Twins will increase my hot dog spending from $0 to $9.

Edited by Loosey, 21 April 2019 - 10:07 PM.

• Steve Lein likes this

#25 REPETE

REPETE

• 182 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:29 PM

let's not forget, this has been a miserable spring.Nobody wants a $5, or $10 beer while watching baseball in 31 degree weather.  

• Minny505 likes this

#26 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• 3,769 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:29 AM

In my opinion, bleeding fans dry is a huge problem for baseball.All sports are overpriced, but relative to games played, baseball is pretty unique

Pretty soon they are going to be trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.I hope more people, even if it's done as absurdly as St. Peter did here, realize the problem and reverse course soon.Or in our lifetimes baseball will be the new boxing or horse racing.  

I agree completely. I mentioned up thread that I used to get something to eat and/or drink at every game dating back to the Dome. These days, I refuse to buy anything unless I don't have time to stop somewhere otherwise. I do agree that it's a problem.You'd think that there has to be a breaking point somewhere. I doubt that I'm the only one that won't buy anything, but I do know that I'm in the minority.

• birdwatcher likes this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,727 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

Minimum wage in Mpls is $15/hr for some, but I'm not sure how vendors fit in to the classifications. It's being patient phased in.

It's phased in over 5 years.
Right now it's either 11.25 or 10.25, depending on how many employees these vendors have. So, nowhere near 15/hr.
  • wsnydes likes this

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,727 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

let's not forget, this has been a miserable spring. Nobody wants a $5, or $10 beer while watching baseball in 31 degree weather.

I've seen people turn down a beer for many reasons in my life. Not once has the weather ever been one of those reasons.

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,286 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:29 AM

I've seen people turn down a beer for many reasons in my life. Not once has the weather ever been one of those reasons.

If a vendor had been hawking hot toddies at the chilly series at Shea earlier this month I might have been a buyer. :)

• wsnydes likes this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#30 zenser

zenser

• 524 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:38 AM

I know a year or two ago the Atlanta Falcons lowered all of their concession prices.I don't have the exact dollar amounts but a hot dog was roughly $3 and beers were $5.I havent seen anything if they had a boost in revenue from that or not.It would be interesting to see some data on that.

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking and Minny505 like this

#31 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

Agreed, but they seem to be approaching ludicrous speed proportions these days.

Well if they're not paid $15 an hour, how could they afford to eat one of the hot dogs marked up 800% that their selling?

Scratch that, a $15 an hour job ain't going to afford them the money to attend a game.

This was the first opening day since I was legal drinking age that I didn't have a beer. I'm not waiting in line for ten minutes for a Bud Light and I'm repulsed by the prices of decent beer. Thankfully Berrios was great and got us out of the stadium in under 3 hours so as I could pay Fulton a more reasonable price for better quality beer afterwards. As much as it might surprise St. Peter, I don't go to baseball games for the restaurants and concessions. 

• Mike Sixel and wsnydes like this

#32 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

I know a year or two ago the Atlanta Falcons lowered all of their concession prices.I don't have the exact dollar amounts but a hot dog was roughly $3 and beers were $5.I havent seen anything if they had a boost in revenue from that or not.It would be interesting to see some data on that.

It was for their brand new stadium too. Just opened and they dropped food and beverages across the board. The must be doing OK, they are lowering the prices again for the upcoming season, hot dogs are only a buck fifty now:

https://mercedesbenz...es-second-time/

I'd be nice if someone would ask St Peter about that.

• birdwatcher, zenser, TheLeviathan and 1 other like this

#33 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

I would expect you could find even more data on this somewhere, but this was a quick article I looked at: https://www.atlantaf...tems-by-12-perc

"During the 2017 Falcons and Atlanta United seasons, average spending on concessions increased at Falcons games by 16 percent per person over the previous season, despite a 50 percent decrease in pricing over the previous season. Data also showed that more than 6,000 Falcons fan per game entered the stadium as much as an hour earlier to take advantage of the options and pricing in the stadium."

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking, zenser and 6 others like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#34 wsnydes

wsnydes

• 3,769 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

Well if they're not paid $15 an hour, how could they afford to eat one of the hot dogs marked up 800% that their selling?

Scratch that, a $15 an hour job ain't going to afford them the money to attend a game.

This was the first opening day since I was legal drinking age that I didn't have a beer. I'm not waiting in line for ten minutes for a Bud Light and I'm repulsed by the prices of decent beer. Thankfully Berrios was great and got us out of the stadium in under 3 hours so as I could pay Fulton a more reasonable price for better quality beer afterwards. As much as it might surprise St. Peter, I don't go to baseball games for the restaurants and concessions. 

Exactly. I don't go to a ball game for the restaurants or the newly added strip mall in RF. I have this weird desire to watch a baseball game, keep score when it interests me and maybe munch on some seeds but only if I brought them in with me.

• Twins33, nicksaviking, zenser and 1 other like this

#35 wsnydes

wsnydes

• 3,769 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:18 AM

I would expect you could find even more data on this somewhere, but this was a quick article I looked at: https://www.atlantaf...tems-by-12-perc

"During the 2017 Falcons and Atlanta United seasons, average spending on concessions increased at Falcons games by 16 percent per person over the previous season, despite a 50 percent decrease in pricing over the previous season. Data also showed that more than 6,000 Falcons fan per game entered the stadium as much as an hour earlier to take advantage of the options and pricing in the stadium."

This used to be me. I still like to get to the park early and watch BP when I can, but I used to grab some food and a beverage while I sat there. And then there were plenty of times when I'd go back and get more food and/or beverage. 

Like someone upthread said, I'd really like to hear DSP respond to a question about this info.

• Steve Lein and luckylager like this

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:46 AM

Which does bring up an interesting angle; the nearby restaurants and bars surely want the stadium to keep their prices high. 

While the Twins do offer some interesting options, most of it isn't exactly high cuisine stuff. It's not like you can't get a better qualify burger, sandwich or beer at two dozen places within three blocks of the stadium.

So surely the Twins are only marking prices up to help promote the local businesses. Which one is the eye-roll emoji again?

• Steve Lein, zenser, TheLeviathan and 3 others like this

#37 John Miller

John Miller

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:24 PM

I was on a strict word count for this article, a lot of things I could have expanded on. Here are a few:

St. Peter is on the scheduling committee for next year. He doesn't like starting at home, but he also isn't a fan of having a long road trip to start the year either. Next year the Twins are starting on the road.

When it comes to prices of beer, it was clear that he knows fans will pay up for booze regardless of how much it costs. I took his response as a take or leave it kind of thing now that they have two sections of cheaper beer. It still doesn't make sense why Bud Light is cheaper than other beers like Budweiser or a Mich Golden. 

He also made fun of the "This is How We Baseball" slogan from last year.

Overall, he thinks baseball needs to do a much better job of marketing its bigger stars.

He's probably as upfront as I have ever heard somebody be in an interview.

Edited by Miller1234, 22 April 2019 - 12:35 PM.

• Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#38 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

I was on a strict word count for this article, a lot of things I could have expanded on.

St. Peter is on the scheduling committee for next year. He doesn't like starting at home, but he also isn't a fan of having a long road trip to start the year either. Next year the Twins are starting on the road.

When it comes to prices of beer, it was clear that he knows fans will pay up for booze regardless of how much it costs. I took his response as a take or leave it kind of thing now that they have two sections of cheaper beer. It still doesn't make sense why Bud Light is cheaper than other beers like Budweiser or a Mich Golden. 

He also made fun of the "This is How We Baseball" slogan from last year.

Overall, he thinks baseball needs to do a much better job of marketing its bigger stars.

He's probably as upfront as I have ever heard somebody be in an interview.

Great submission to TD by the way. I hope it goes without saying that criticisms found in the comment section aren't aimed at the interviewer.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, spycake and 2 others like this

#39 John Miller

John Miller

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

Great submission to TD by the way. I hope it goes without saying that criticisms found in the comment section aren't aimed at the interviewer.

Thank you for the kind words. I didn't take any of the comments as criticisms towards me. I just wanted to elaborate on a few things. If anybody has any other questions I would be happy to answer. 

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#40 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

Pretty bad attempt at being a PR shill by DSP here.