Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 4, TOR 1: Pitching Staff Redemption Night

jake odorizzi adalberto mejia blake parker neslon cruz
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 610 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

Odorizzi was really good except for one thing: he couldn't finish off hitters efficiently enough. He had his curve going nicely, but struggled to get hitters to offer at it out of the zone with 2 strikes, and it ran up his pitch count. He did a nice job of getting Ks up in the zone with the fastball, but seems to generate a lot of foul ball down in the zone (also running up that pitch count). I can't figure out if he needs to adjust location or pitch mix, but the stuff was certainly good enough last night.

Man, that Polanco contract extension sure looks smart right now, huh?

#22 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 382 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:33 AM

My issue with Rocco is when he sits Cruz.Down the line maybe Cruz will need a day off, but his job is simply to swing the bat and at this point in the season Cruz should always be in the mix.Somehow he had a day off and we lost, we pinch hit Ehire and not Cruz and we lost.Coincidence?He is the big bopper and we should not be using his spot to give other players a start. 

Tuesday was the first time Cruz didn't start in an AL game.Rocco has started Cruz in 10 of 11 games where DH was available so this isn't a pattern that Rocco sits Cruz.Cruz also has 1 hit in 11 PA against the starting pitcher that night as well.

We used that poor matchup to give Rosario some rest at DH.If we gave Rosario a full day off instead we wouldn't have had his 3 run HR.

I have no issue with Cruz getting a rare night off especially when its a bad matchup.

• railmarshalljon and IMissJoeMauer like this

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,302 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:19 AM

Tuesday was the first time Cruz didn't start in an AL game.Rocco has started Cruz in 10 of 11 games where DH was available so this isn't a pattern that Rocco sits Cruz.Cruz also has 1 hit in 11 PA against the starting pitcher that night as well.

We used that poor matchup to give Rosario some rest at DH.If we gave Rosario a full day off instead we wouldn't have had his 3 run HR.

I have no issue with Cruz getting a rare night off especially when its a bad matchup.

I quibble with the idea that 1 for 11 indicates a bad matchup.

Cruz had the entire NL East swing off, why would he need another day?

I quibble with the idea that Eddie Rosario (or anyone) needs a day off halfway through April.

• Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan and Mr. Brooks like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#24 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:09 AM

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with mikelink45 about having Cruz in the lineup whenever possible. His presence in the batting order changes the dynamics of the game significantly.

#25 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 382 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:30 PM

I quibble with the idea that 1 for 11 indicates a bad matchup.

Cruz had the entire NL East swing off, why would he need another day?

I quibble with the idea that Eddie Rosario (or anyone) needs a day off halfway through April.

I think it was less about Cruz needing the day off than it was about keeping Rosario's bat in the lineup. Paid off big time with the homerun.

Halfway through April and only Rosario and Polanco have not been given a day off. Glad to see we are keeping people fresh. We have a deep lineup, this will help in the long run. Great decision making by Baldelli and co.

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

I think it was less about Cruz needing the day off than it was about keeping Rosario's bat in the lineup. Paid off big time with the homerun.

Halfway through April and only Rosario and Polanco have not been given a day off. Glad to see we are keeping people fresh. We have a deep lineup, this will help in the long run. Great decision making by Baldelli and co.

Polanco had a day off, the day after his cycle.

And why would Cruz have to sit to give Rosario a day off? I no longer expect guys to necessarily play all 162, but no way should Rosario be drained this early, with a ton of scheduled days off already.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, adalberto mejia, blake parker, neslon cruz