Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: 4/17/19 Twins vs. Bluejays 6:40 CST

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel

Diesel

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

10 years ago today, the Minnesota Twins became my favorite sports team, and Jason Kubel became my favorite player. After getting home from school (yes, I am a younger fan on this board), I went to the living room to watch the Twins take on the Angels. Jason Kubel had started the game off strong, but the bullpen had seemingly blew the game (sound familiar?). After some terrible defense on a "triple", Kubel just needed a homerun to complete a cycle. The game was 9-4, and the TV was only kept on FSN due to the chance of a cycle. During the 8th inning, the Twins slowly climbed back. Justin Morneau was intentionally walked to load the bases. And then:

https://www.youtube....h?v=D_FSSWLanPE.

I never got to go to the Metrodome, but saw the magic of the place in the few years of watching baseball in it on TV. While Target Field is an awesome place to watch a baseball game, the Metrodome had its quirks. The 2009 Minnesota Twins still have to be my favorite team of all time. Not many are left playing from that team. Francisco Liriano and Anthony Swarzak (!) are still hanging around. It is truly amazing how fast time flies.

Projected Starting Pitchers (if there is a game)

Jake Odorizzi , 0-2, 6.35 ERA

vs.

Trent Thornton, 0-1, 4.61 ERA

Let's play ball!

Edited by Diesel, 17 April 2019 - 09:25 AM.

• Carole Keller, ashbury, USAFChief and 18 others like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,510 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

I wish odorrizi had and era .05 higher, so it was equal to the start time.

Actually, I wish it was a lot lower, but I'm trying to be realistic here...

Great intro!
  • USAFChief, Blake, Puckett34 and 4 others like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#3 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

10 years ago today, the Minnesota Twins became my favorite sports team, and Jason Kubel became my favorite player. After getting home from school (yes, I am a younger fan on this ....

Jake Odorizzi , 0-2, 6.35 ERA

vs.

Trent Thornton, 0-1, 4.61 ERA

Let's play ball!

Great intro!

Edited by Sconnie, 17 April 2019 - 10:06 AM.

• USAFChief, Blake and Diesel like this

#4 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,239 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

c4133fc97f62c1d0bb1a66e805d24f062.jpg

Carnac the Magnificent: Great intro.

Ed McMahon: Thank you, your Sageness. I described only the merest shadow of your true greatness.

Carnac: No, dummy. That's the answer to the question inside this envelope.

Ed: Oh. I thought you had enjoyed your stage introduction. I misunderstood.

Carnac: Misunderstood? I can imagine that you were a misunderstood child.

Ed: In some ways, I suppose.

Carnac: Also a misunderstood adult, and a misunderstood magazine shill.

Ed: Now that seems hurtful.

Carnac: The fleas of a thousand camels in your tightie whities would also be hurtful.

Ed: They would indeed. I hope that is not a curse you are bestowing.

Carnac: I'm on the fence.

Ed: This also sounds painful.

Carnac: Watch it.

Ed: In any case, perhaps we should proceed with the actual business at hand.

Carnac: Magazine sales?
Ed: No sir. Would you be so kind as to open the hermetically sealed envelope?
Carnac: (rips envelope, blows into it, removes card) What is "Catherine The"?

• USAFChief, Blake, GCTF and 7 others like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#5 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,769 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:24 AM

Carnac.jpg

Carnac the Magnificent: Great intro.
Ed McMahon: Thank you, your Sageness. I described only the merest shadow of your true greatness.
Carnac: No, dummy. That's the answer to the question inside this envelope.
Ed: Oh. I thought you had enjoyed your stage introduction. I misunderstood.
Carnac: Misunderstood? I can imagine that you were a misunderstood child.
Ed: In some ways, I suppose.
Carnac: Also a misunderstood adult, and a misunderstood magazine shill.
Ed: Now that seems hurtful.
Carnac: The fleas of a thousand camels in your tightie whities would also be hurtful.
Ed: They would indeed. I hope that is not a curse you are bestowing.
Carnac: I'm on the fence.
Ed: In any case, perhaps we should proceed with the actual business at hand.
Carnac: Magazine sales?
Ed: No sir. Would you be so kind as to open the hermetically sealed envelope?
Carnac: (rips envelope, blows into it, removes card) What is "Catherine The"?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Carole Keller, ashbury, Blake and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

• Twins Mods
  • 23,769 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

We've had a passel of grandkids at the Chief household the past few days. Last night, I secretly listened as they said their prayers before bed. One of them was shouting at the top of his lungs..."DEAR LORD, BLESS MOM AND DAD AND GRANDMA AND GRANDPA, AND CAN I PLEASE HAVE SOME NEW HOT WHEELS CARS, AND A BIKE, AND A NEW VIDEO GAME? AMEN"

His sister looked at him and said "Why are you shouting? Jesus isnt hard of hearing."

"No, but Grandpa is."
  • Carole Keller, ashbury, Blake and 10 others like this

#7 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,901 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:46 AM

We've had a passel of grandkids at the Chief household the past few days. Last night, I secretly listened as they said their prayers before bed. One of them was shouting at the top of his lungs..."DEAR LORD, BLESS MOM AND DAD AND GRANDMA AND GRANDPA, AND CAN I PLEASE HAVE SOME NEW HOT WHEELS CARS, AND A BIKE, AND A NEW VIDEO GAME? AMEN"

His sister looked at him and said "Why are you shouting? Jesus isnt hard of hearing."

"No, but Grandpa is."

Eh?

• ashbury, USAFChief, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#8 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:58 AM

I was at that game with my wife sitting straight up from 3B about half way up the lower bowl. I remember my wife asking to leave by the 4th inning and I refused because I kept telling her that you never know when something special will happen. She never understood why I refused to leave a game early. She soon figured it out!

That grand slam ball was crushed. I don't recall seeing many balls hit that far in BP let alone a game. I knew it was gone as soon as it left the bat. Half of those that attended the game had left already and yet that place was shaking as Kubel trotted around the bases. That was place was electric. I'll never forget that atmosphere. Hard to believe it's been 10 years already.

My wife never asks me to leave a game early anymore. She understands.

• ashbury, USAFChief, Blake and 7 others like this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,510 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

I was planning to come into the thread with dad jokes, since Chief wasn't on much last night.....

but when I searched for dad jokes online, all I got were jokes about other things............

I must have searched wrong.

• ashbury, Blake and Sconnie like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

• Twins Mods
  • 23,769 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

I stopped by my usual bar on the way home from work last night, and as I sat down at the bar, I saw two hunks of beef hanging from the ceiling. "Ralphie," I said to the barkeep, "what's with the meat hanging from the ceiling?"

"Its a challenge, Chief. If you can jump up and touch them, you drink free all night. If you can't, you owe the bar a round. Care to try?"

I thought a minute, them said "No. The steaks are too high."
  • ashbury, Blake, Mike Sixel and 8 others like this

#11 USAFChief

USAFChief

• Twins Mods
  • 23,769 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

Dad joke.
  • Mike Sixel, Sconnie, Circus Boy and 1 other like this

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

I'll never forget the last thing my grandpa said before he kicked the bucket.
"Hey sonny, how far do you think I can kick this bucket?"
  • ashbury, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 6 others like this

#13 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon. I’ll let you know

• ashbury, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 5 others like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#14 wsnydes

wsnydes

• Members
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon. I’ll let you know

If one order is Amazon Prime eligible and the other is not, I would consider that to be a violation of the PED policy.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel and Puckett34 like this

#15 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

I think this game will be postponed. I don’t think Toronto comes back to Minnesota this year. A double header tomorrow seems likely. Who’s your 26th man? Romero?

I think it will be a “straight” double header. I can’t imagine either game sold well based on attendance the last two nights. An earlier start to game two would be better for getaway day anyway.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 17 April 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#16 wsnydes

wsnydes

• Members
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:17 PM

I think this game will be postponed. I don’t think Toronto comes back to Minnesota this year. A double header tomorrow seems likely. Who’s your 26th man? Romero?

I think it will be a “straight” double header. I can’t imagine either game sold well based on attendance the last two nights. An earlier start to game two would be better for getaway day anyway.

LEN III says that he's talked to Twins officials and they say that they're going to try to wait it out and get the game in tonight. Whether the weather (ha!) accepts this plan is another story however.

• Mike Sixel and bighat like this

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

LEN III says that he's talked to Twins officials and they say that they're going to try to wait it out and get the game in tonight. Whether the weather (ha!) accepts this plan is another story however.

Future radar seems to indicate rain steady until at least 9. Sure, they could start then. But I think waiting until tomorrow makes a lot more sense than playing on a soaked field in front of zero fans and starting at 10 at night.

#18 wsnydes

wsnydes

• Members
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

Future radar seems to indicate rain steady until at least 9. Sure, they could start then. But I think waiting until tomorrow makes a lot more sense than playing on a soaked field in front of zero fans and starting at 10 at night.

I have tickets, so I don't disagree with that in the slightest. I'm debating whether or not even to make the trip downtown. If it weren't for the magnet schedule (the one giveaway I covet), there'd be little chance that I do.

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

They’ll likely get it in. I live about three miles from the stadium and rain is down to a 50% chance in the 7pm hour and 30% in the 8pm hour.
  • bighat and Nine of twelve like this

#20 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

They’ll likely get it in. I live about three miles from the stadium and rain is down to a 50% chance in the 7pm hour and 30% in the 8pm hour.

Future radar via weather.com shows it lasting until roughly 8:30. Figure the earliest they could start is 9pm - 2 1/2 hours after scheduled start time. Sure, they could. But, why? What is the upside? Let’s say they start at 9 and get done at midnight. They play at noon tomorrow. Meaning, they are on the field, in uniform by 9 am. That’s a pretty quick turnaround.

Factor in playing on a soaked field. Sure, it drains very well, but it’s not instantaneous. Factor in playing in front of an empty (or near empty) stadium. The bottom line is entertainment, right? If no one is being entertained, what’s the point?

Sure, double headers aren’t fun and even less so on getaway day. But, even playing two games, they should be done no later than 8, barring extra innings. Plenty of time for both teams to get to their next cities at a decent hour.

It’s the better choice IMO and I suspect the Twins will eventually see it that way too.
  • Mike Sixel likes this