Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Third base coaching

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,699 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:30 PM

Tonights loss was the third time this season I didn't like what our 3rd. Base coach was doing with runners. I cannot remember all the details but there was a game early in the season where he tried to hold up someone causing Buxton to slow down between 2nd and third leading to an out but the lead runner scored.

Another was when Rosario scored running through the stop sign scoring from first

Then Tonight

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,769 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:58 PM

I'd have sent Cron tonight, too. I think the chances of him scoring there are greater than the chances he scores if he's held.

The left fielder got a great rebound out of the corner, and they made two perfect throws. I'd bet against those three things happening again before betting Kepler gets a hit.
  • jorgenswest, birdwatcher, nicksaviking and 6 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:30 AM

It took a perfect relay to get Cron.

If it takes two perfect throws to get a guy out, you send that runner every damned time.

Sometimes, the other team just beats you. That's baseball. But you take the chance and make them beat you.

• birdwatcher, wagwan, diehardtwinsfan and 9 others like this

#4 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:37 AM

I don't know if it was the right call or not.
I'm most amazed at how slow Cron was running.
Is he always that slow? Does he have some kind of hip displacement or something? I'm not joking, that was amazing just how absurdly slow he was running.
Offensive linemen in football rumble faster than that when they are chasing down a pick six.
  • bluechipper and Platoon like this

#5 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,995 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:10 AM

I watched it on TiVo. I thought I had the slow mo on by mistake. Not only is he slower than Austudillo, his hair does not flow as nicely when he runs! :) That said, I send him. It took two perfect throws, they made em, we lost. That's the way the game goes. Coaching third isn't an easy job. Some days you make stupid decisions that work, some days you make good ones that don't. I do know if he had been held, and Kepler hit a two out sac fly, the wolves would have still howled! :)

Edited by Platoon, 17 April 2019 - 05:16 AM.

• birdwatcher and Riverbrian like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,052 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

Kepler is batting .259. It would seem to me that Cron had a better than 25% chance of scoring.

Heck, aside from needing two on target throws and a perfect carom, it seems to me the catcher or relay man juggle or drop the ball 25% of the time on these plays anyway.

• Riverbrian likes this

#7 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,699 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

I seem to be on the wrong side of this opinion and I haven't looked at the replays enough but watching it live, I sure thought at the time:

"No, Don't send him, DON'T send him... CRAP!!"

• Hosken Bombo Disco and lukeduke1980 like this

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:19 AM

It took two throws, but the first throw was already made. I didn’t disagree with sending him either, but in another situation earlier in the game it would have been a bad send. The play wasn’t really that close, as far as home plate plays go... I mean it was close, but not as close as it looked

And yeah, who knew Cron was so slow. Well Baldelli does now, if he didn’t know before.

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 17 April 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#9 Shaitan

Shaitan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

The loss isn't fun, but is there a more exciting way to end a game? This isn't a Game 163 Cuddyer situation. It was a close play and perfect execution by Toronto.

• spycake likes this

#10 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,239 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:29 AM

I think we saw Cron get thrown out at home during spring training. At least, I wasn't surprised when I looked at the play-by-play this morning and saw how the game ended. He's genuinely slow. And you still have to send him.

Bad luck that the runner we would have preferred for the attempt had been inserted as pinch runner for Cruz and then got erased by the fielder's choice. Although perhaps the pinch runner, Schoop, was more skillful than Cruz could have been at avoiding the double play, in which case it's a Hobson's Choice where nothing you decide works out.

/ old coots know that a true Hobson's Choice is where Butch the third baseman attempts to get the lead runner but makes a bad throw and everybody is safe

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#11 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:33 PM

Maybe can we supply the third base coach with a whip to hurry these guys along?
  • Riverbrian and SwainZag like this

#12 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,239 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

Maybe can we supply the third base coach with a whip to hurry these guys along?

Cron's on a one-year contract. C.J. "Rented Mule" Cron?

• Riverbrian and GCTF like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

I would have been waving my arm to send him home so frantically that you could have produced enough wind energy to power a light bulb. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!