Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: TOR 6, MIN 5: Gut Punch

kyle gibson byron buxton eddie rosario marwin gonzalez
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

All I know is that I somehow felt ecstatic there at the end, when Buxton put good wood on the ball and gave the team a chance.Man oh man, I was dreading the inevitable flailing at pitches in the left-handed batting box.And it didn't happen.

The fact this team is having close games to feel angsty about is a good thing.Very few ass whoopings here; they're kind of beating themselves--but just barely.Let's hope the learning curve is steep.In the right direction...

• Riverbrian, bluechipper, howieramone2 and 3 others like this

#42 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

After letting this one settle in a bit, my take on where things went wrong is when Kyle Gibson was left in to pitch to Justin Smoak in the sixth inning. Gibby had already given up two hits and a walk that inning. He was clearly fading, but the Twins were still up 1-0 at that point.

Taylor Rogers would have been great in that spot, especially since Smoak is a lefty. Stuff like that is exactly why you don't have Rogers pinned down to the ninth inning in the first place.

Smoak is a switch-hitter, but the point is still valid...you'd rather turn Smoak around and have him hit from the right side. The problem is, Baldelli has one lefty he trusts. It's easy to say use Rogers there, but it's hard to pull that trigger when that leaves 3 innings in a close game with only Mejia available. At that part either call you make is probably wrong. They need a good LOOGY probably more than they need anything. I expect to see Moya as soon as he's available. Not that he's been great (yet) in that role. It's another indicator of how the FO had Molitor hand-cuffed in the bullpen..and now we're seeing Baldelli having to deal with it.

• WLFINN likes this

#43 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,106 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

I blame CJ Cron. Even a first baseman should be able to run over 12 miles per hour.

Nah, kidding. Wish I'd seen the game. I'm getting the impression that Gibson may require another few starts to get his mojo back. Sounds like Trevor May is flaming out, Tortuga is slowing down, Marwin is seeing the ball, Rosie and Buxton are on fire, Hildy is human, and Bender is back distorting space and time with his curves. Interesting teams don't always win, I guess.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#44 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Yeah, that being the case, I don't understand why they're prioritizing having four bench guys over having one extra bullpen arm.

The Twins have enough bullpen arms. What they lack is enough GOOD bullpen arms. Adding another AAAA reliever isn’t going to help.

#45 snotboogie

snotboogie

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Location3 miles from Twins World Domination Headquarters

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:52 AM

This team can have the nicest data in the world, but if the players can put it to use, it’s no good. Or if the coaches can’t put them in position. The infielders just looked so unprepared. Lots of other plays to kvetch about (and praise!) tonight, but that half inning stood out for me.

I think it was Sogard in the 6th that smacked a double off the wall.  Kep played it perfectly and might have had a play at second except that Polanco and Adrianza were both far off the bag.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and WLFINN like this

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

#46 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

The Twins need to petition MLB to exclude AL East teams from their schedule except Baltimore. 

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#47 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Buxton had the day off after he ran into a wall. Rosario and Polanco have been in all 14 games.

I dont know why anyone would need a day off at this point anyway. It's April, and they've played 14 friggin games. I have little to complain about Baldelli so far but that's one thing I hope changes. I can see giving someone a rest in the middle of this upcoming stretch if games, or to help heal a nagging injury, but now?

I like that Rocco is rotating guys pretty regularly. I don't like how he tends to rotate all of his bench players in for the same game like it was a line change in hockey. Gotta leave some horses in to carry the load.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#48 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

I like that Rocco is rotating guys pretty regularly. I don't like how he tends to rotate all of his bench players in for the same game like it was a line change in hockey. Gotta leave some horses in to carry the load.

It is a tad ridiculous to have Cron, Cruz, Schoop and Garver all not starting. I get that the Jays’ starter yesterday is tough on RHB, but the guys starting in place of those sitting other than Cave are all poor hitters against ALL pitching.
  • Mike Sixel, pbrezeasap, Cap'n Piranha and 1 other like this

#49 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

It is a tad ridiculous to have Cron, Cruz, Schoop and Garver all not starting. I get that the Jays’ starter yesterday is tough on RHB, but the guys starting in place of those sitting other than Cave are all poor hitters against ALL pitching.

Correct. I can see two, maybe even three under certain circumstances, but not all of them at the same time. You've got to give yourself a chance offensively.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#50 pbrezeasap

pbrezeasap

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:58 PM

Buxton had the day off after he ran into a wall. Rosario and Polanco have been in all 14 games.

I dont know why anyone would need a day off at this point anyway. It's April, and they've played 14 friggin games. I have little to complain about Baldelli so far but that's one thing I hope changes. I can see giving someone a rest in the middle of this upcoming stretch if games, or to help heal a nagging injury, but now?

I agree with you, I don't think any of them really need a day off at this point. I was just assuming he would give them days off based on recent statements and lineups. Forgot about Polanco, I hope he doesn't decide Polanco, Rosario and Buxton should all have Thursday off for some getaway day game crap. When it is 2 or 3 regulars a game like in the last two losses it is a bit aggravating on top of the bullpen failures.

Edited by pbrezeasap, 17 April 2019 - 12:58 PM.

• USAFChief likes this

#51 wallyrichards

wallyrichards

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

Gibby as he is called needs to throw strikes and trust the guys behind you to make plays. This is what I loved about Blyleven. Yeah he gave up some homers but a lot of them were one run shots because he attacked the strike zone and let his defense make plays for him. Gibby on the other hand try's to be to nibble to much and he ends up walking people. You don't need to strike everyone out and quit being such a nervous Nelly or in this case a nervous Gibby. One other thing I don't know who was calling the pitches last night but they didn't do a very good job. Not sure if that goes on Castro, Roco or Gibby but it was brutal the last couple innings Gibson pitched.  

#52 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,006 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:38 PM

I blame CJ Cron. Even a first baseman should be able to run over 12 miles per hour.

Nah, kidding.

Cron is sooooooooooooo sssssssllllllloooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Maybe he should be called tortuga.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, byron buxton, eddie rosario, marwin gonzalez