Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: TOR 6, MIN 5: Gut Punch

kyle gibson byron buxton eddie rosario marwin gonzalez
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:32 AM

Lots of negative from this one.I only have one thing to say, however, Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!

Kimbrel, Kimbrel, Kimbrel !

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,296 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:44 AM

I know it's fun to play armchair manager when we lose, because that's what we do, but the fact is that in spite of all of the levers Rocco pulled or didn't pull, we just didn't execute. We are going to need more than what we got from Gibby and the bullpen is our weakest piece, but in the 9th we're down 1 run with a guy on 1st and nobody out... Cron can't move him to 2nd with his force out and we waste the pinch runner, then Garver can't even put it in play... Buxton came up with a clutch hit, but Toronto executed - we didn't. And we had plenty of chances, which is frustrating. The silver lining is that we've got some fight to us, but we can't let the margin for error get to this point. 

I'm not a bunt guy... or blame the manager guy for that matter. 

But with Schoop used as a pinch runner... and a plan in place to empty the rest of your bench as pinch hitters with Cron and Garver to follow. I would have left Ehire in the game to bunt and for defensive purposes in the 10th if we get there. 

Schoop is your only possible guy with speed until Buxton and you still have to get to Buxton. Move Schoop over to protect your speed... then you pinch hit Garver for Castro and take a couple of cracks at driving Schoop in with Buxton to follow.  

And then you still have Cron as a potential future bench bat should the game go to extra innings. Never know if an injury happens. 

That's what I would have done but there are many paths to get where you are going. In the end... you have to come up big when the moments are big. This team has some fight in them. 

• Blake and Kelly Vance like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:10 AM

Gibson is in a tough spot pitching between Perez and Odorizzi, neither who can go past 6 innings.

Yeah, that being the case, I don't understand why they're prioritizing having four bench guys over having one extra bullpen arm. 

• wsnydes and bighat like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,296 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:20 AM

What Baldelli should have done was have Marwin walk and let Cruz hit the homer.

He had it backwards.:)

• scottz, Tibs, WLFINN and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:21 AM

Yeah, that being the case, I don't understand why they're prioritizing having four bench guys over having one extra bullpen arm. 

I usually don't second guess the manager, well at least in print.But we all know that Gibby is coming off a brutal winter and hasn't recovered to 100% with all his weight and strength back to what it was.Knowing that, I can see the Manager sending him back for the sixth inning to continue stretching him out.But please, have some one warming up in the pen and get him out after those first two batters reached base.Would the result have been different, who knows, but odds are it may have been.

• pbrezeasap, Hosken Bombo Disco and DocBauer like this

#26 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:27 AM

The past is the past but the Twins are now in their first "must" win game of the season as the series and home stand are at stake headed into Baltimore and Houston. Also a big difference between 9-6 and 8-7 even this early in the season. So today's game is definitely one of the 42 that make or break the season and so is tomorrow's. I hope they take tday's game very seriously.

#27 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 424 posts

I usually don't second guess the manager, well at least in print.But we all know that Gibby is coming off a brutal winter and hasn't recovered to 100% with all his weight and strength back to what it was.Knowing that, I can see the Manager sending him back for the sixth inning to continue stretching him out.But please, have some one warming up in the pen and get him out after those first two batters reached base.Would the result have been different, who knows, but odds are it may have been.

I was surprised to see Mejia 'needing' to pitch on Monday as a setup guy, when odds are the next 2 games with Gibby and Odorizzi would require someone 'coupled' to their impending 5 inning and 4 2/3 inning starts.

#28 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,569 posts

The Twins have played the fewest games in baseball to this point. Maybe it's time for Rocco just to play his "A" lineup for the foreseeable future? Sitting Cron, Cruz, and Scoop in the same game seems a bit conservative at this point.

Particularly since tonight’s game stands a good chance of rain postponement.
  • bighat likes this

#29 pbrezeasap

pbrezeasap

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

I believe the thought process was that Aaron Sanchez has been a lot tougher on RHP (.595 OPS against) so might as well put all the lefties and switch hitters in there.

I hope we get the A lineup the next two games to try and split the series. Rosario and Buxton haven't been given a day off, hopefully that can wait and be worked into the Baltimore series and then play the A lineup for all three in Houston.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#30 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

Duffey looked good, but we've seen that before - taking his performance with a shakerful of salt. 

Same.However, having him available for this type of situation is good.Rogers should be good to go to lock down the last two games, if the opportunity presents itself.  

Send Duffey back down and call the next one in line on the 40-man to eat some innings when their down or up big.

#31 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

The past is the past but the Twins are now in their first "must" win game of the season as the series and home stand are at stake headed into Baltimore and Houston. Also a big difference between 9-6 and 8-7 even this early in the season. So today's game is definitely one of the 42 that make or break the season and so is tomorrow's. I hope they take tday's game very seriously.

I hope they win at least half of their "must" win games this year.:) 

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#32 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

Still kinda miffed about Kepler swinging at that first pitch, grounding into a DP with Buxton on 1st....Polanco goes yard the next at bat...a 3-run HR turns into a solo shot. Eeef.

That one bothered me the whole game ... Taking Buxton's legs out from under him seemed a poor decision .... Even if Kepler gets himself out, Buxton has a high percentage chance to be on third with the locked-in Polanco at the plate with 1 out ... Hope it is a learning moment

• bluechipper, Hosken Bombo Disco and WLFINN like this

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,318 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

I hope we get the A lineup the next two games to try and split the series. Rosario and Buxton haven't been given a day off, hopefully that can wait and be worked into the Baltimore series and then play the A lineup for all three in Houston.

Buxton had the day off after he ran into a wall. Rosario and Polanco have been in all 14 games.

I dont know why anyone would need a day off at this point anyway. It's April, and they've played 14 friggin games. I have little to complain about Baldelli so far but that's one thing I hope changes. I can see giving someone a rest in the middle of this upcoming stretch if games, or to help heal a nagging injury, but now?
  • pbrezeasap and bluechipper like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#34 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

Buxton had the day off after he ran into a wall. Rosario and Polanco have been in all 14 games.

I dont know why anyone would need a day off at this point anyway. It's April, and they've played 14 friggin games. I have little to complain about Baldelli so far but that's one thing I hope changes. I can see giving someone a rest in the middle of this upcoming stretch if games, or to help heal a nagging injury, but now?

It's a long season. I prefer to watch the A-Team, but keeping everyone sharp is important. I think the fact that most of the bench players have cold bats right now is evidence of why.

Hell of a game. 

• howieramone2 likes this

#35 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

Kyle Gibson looked good, until he didn’t. That’s pretty much been the case in all of his starts so far this season. Very Odorizzi-esque.

I didn't follow Odorizzi in Tampa, but I've followed the Twins since (and before) Gibson came up. I'd reverse that description. Gibson has been like this for most of his career, with 2-3 hot streaks in between.

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,729 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:35 AM

I remain disappointed they did nothing to fix the bullpen. And it's only going to get worse now that they have almost no off days. Good luck to the manager trying to juggle this collection.
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

Send Duffey back down and call the next one in line on the 40-man to eat some innings when their down or up big.

The line isn't that long right now! De Jong and Vasquez are still ineligible to return. Magill and Moya just started rehab. Reed is still out, as is Gonsalves.

The only 40-man options are Romero, Stewart, Littell, and Thorpe. Romero pitched 2 innings yesterday, just like Duffey. Thorpe and Littell appear to be Rochester's probable starters the next 2 games. Not sure what is up with Stewart, he hasn't appeared since April 9 and may not start until April 19.

#38 joefish

joefish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:43 AM

Good teams dont get swept at home. Not to last place teams. Not ever. Not today.

#39 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

Which is why I'm much more worried about the bullpen than I was two weeks ago (when I was still worried about the bullpen, just not as much as now).

May was supposed to be something of a rock in the seventh or so inning.

Trevor May is not quite a rock, he's an anchor around our necks. Need to move him and Mejia while they still have some type of trade value. Also, since neither have an option left, it would give us flexibility when the shuttle is going full bore.

#40 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

Ok, who was that guy who pitched the last two innings for the Twins last night and what have they done with Tyler Duffy?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, byron buxton, eddie rosario, marwin gonzalez