Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: TOR 5, MIN 3: About That Bullpen ...

martin perez byron buxton c.j. cron ryne harper adalberto mejia
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:58 AM

I only was able to watch the ninth inning and Mejia looked very good.So he had one bad inning.There are still 145 games left (more or less).

• jorgenswest, DocBauer, Twinsbar107 and 1 other like this

#22 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:06 AM

37 games in 38 days.This bullpen will get exposed and there is nothing anyone can do about it.The frustration level of this group will accelerate over the coming days.We can afford Kimbrel easily for two years. He has to be interested based on this team's start.If he wants 4 or 5 years? That's a tough call because you will probably hate him the last two or three years of that contract.But, I say do it if you can get him for 4 or less.  

#23 IAMNFan

IAMNFan

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:52 AM

It's hard to blame coaches/usage when Mejia was handed a 2 run lead and a clean inning.

It’s also easy to criticize Mejia and lack of usage when they only play a game every other day.
I really hope the schedule makers get their act together. No reason Houston & Tampa play a series in first week of season.

#24 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:04 AM

You go back and watch that 8th inning, Mejia kept throwing the slider and it didn't have much action, just a gentle slope into the middle of the plate.

In the 9th, he relied on his fastball, which was sitting 95 and he could control to both sides of the plate.

Garver was a little slow to realize the slider was not working.

But, really, the offense has to put more runs up. Listless. Definitely a night they needed the Sano-man.

• LA VIkes Fan, Dman, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,296 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

I have no complaints. 

Somewhere else across baseball a reliever blew a lead yesterday... it happens. 

Baldelli is mixing in his players...he is utilizing his pitching staff. 

I have no complaints. 

• jorgenswest, Han Joelo, pbrezeasap and 11 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#26 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:47 AM

Anything less than a 0.00 ERA from this bullpen is unacceptable!

Okay, that was sarcasm....seriously, would you prefer the Twins' starters just give up the runs instead? Losses happen. Mejia didn't look good, end of story.

Maybe we should start looking at the Twins' bats? The most recent issue is that they seem to only score in one inning per game. Putting up crooked numbers are great, but if you take away a few big innings from the offense they'd be virtually scoreless in the past week. Would like to see the offense start adding a run here and there and not just rely on 3-run HRs for all of their offense.

• pbrezeasap, Dantes929, Twinsbar107 and 1 other like this

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,318 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:52 AM

I only was able to watch the ninth inning and Mejia looked very good. 

Well, yeah, but other than that, what'd you think of the play, Mrs Lincoln?

• Dantes929, wsnydes, Twinsbar107 and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#28 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,318 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:53 AM

You go back and watch that 8th inning, Mejia kept throwing the slider and it didn't have much action, just a gentle slope into the middle of the plate.

In the 9th, he relied on his fastball, which was sitting 95 and he could control to both sides of the plate.

Garver was a little slow to realize the slider was not working.

But, really, the offense has to put more runs up. Listless. Definitely a night they needed the Sano-man.

Garver is awful behind the plate.

• KFEY93 likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#29 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

The focus is obviously on the bullpen, and rightly so, but I'd just like to also point out that teams who score three runs are 22-34 (.393) so far this season.

The problem with tonight is clearly that WE DID have the bullpen to close it out.It didn't take a genius to figure out how to get the last nine outs from some combination of Perez, Harper, May, and Hildy. 

If Perez, May, and Hildy were considered off limits tonight, it's going to be a long year and perhaps the FO should've have thought about signing one of the four hundred thousand 7/8/9 relievers available.  

Perez started. I'm almost certain May warmed up in the pen on Saturday while it was looking like Parker was going to blow that game and Hildy had already pitched back-to-back games. You don't really want guys getting hot three days in a row, especially this early, so it made sense to avoid those two, as well as Rogers and Parker, if at all possible.

As I wrote, Rocco seemed to prioritized securing those victories against Detroit over saving anyone for today. I think everyone would agree with you in that it's a really bad look that the Twins didn't do more to address the bullpen, and we all could see that prior to last night's game. It's frustrating.

Pretty worrisome that Rocco thinks the bullpen is overworked on day 3 of nearly 39 straight games when the starters all had quality starts. Extremely worrisome for the future. Neither may nor Hildenberger had pitched much but it looked like he was saving Hildenberger and that he’s already lost faith in May.
If my count is correct he only has faith in two relievers now 13 games into the season.
We’ll likely be seeing 10 of these blown saves the next 40 games.
Why do I feel like Tyler Duffey will be making his 965th trip back to the majors soon?

This could have been the third game of the season and you still wouldn't have wanted to use Rogers/Parker/Hildy/May. Those guys all needed a recovery day (May got hot during the ninth inning on Saturday). Wake up a new day, and the bullpen isn't overworked heading into tonight's game. Yes, Tyler Duffey will most definitely be up sooner rather than later.

Mejia not having options is going to mean that they keep throwing him out there. Hes got another 3 or 4 weeks of this before he shows he can be effective out of the bullpen or test waivers. Meanwhile, Nick Anderson and Nick Burdi are killing it for other teams. How about trying Eades and Reed before you lose them for nothing.

I'm glad people are starting to include Eades in this conversation His 4.05 ERA doesn't look great, but he's struck out 10 and walked one in 6 2/3 innings. Mike Morin is also off to a good start. Neither of those guys is likely to be a savior or anything, but I think one of them or Duffey would be much more valuable to this team right now than a fourth bench guy.

Game was managed as if they can afford to lose this game. You've had, what, eight off days in the first two weeks, and you're already got your key bullpen guys on ice? 

Again, it could have been the third game of the year and those guys would have been on ice. It's just really unfortunate Parker couldn't do his job back-to-back days, requiring other guys to start warming up/come in and bail him out.

The top thing I was worried about was Rocco’s injury history as a player and it seems to be playing out exactly as I feared.
He is deathly afraid of overworking anyone because his career was derailed by injuries so he is babying everyone, giving them days off when it’s not needed when they’ve all had plenty of days off already.

If you want him pitching his best guys on three consecutive days in April, well, you think this bullpen looks bad now? Just wait until those guys are burned out or injured by June.

37 games in 38 days.This bullpen will get exposed and there is nothing anyone can do about it.The frustration level of this group will accelerate over the coming days.We can afford Kimbrel easily for two years. He has to be interested based on this team's start.If he wants 4 or 5 years? That's a tough call because you will probably hate him the last two or three years of that contract.But, I say do it if you can get him for 4 or less.  

Yep. Just wanted to be clear to finish that I'm not defending the bullpen construction. It's not good. My stance regarding Paul Molitor and bullpen management was always "what bullpen?" The guy never had a full bullpen to manage in the first place, and Rocco has been saddled with the exact same situation. Days like these are bound to happen, given the current situation.

It's a maddening to watch, but the worst possible scenario at this point would be to overuse one of the top-tier guys. Can you imagine what this pen would look like without Taylor Rogers? Ugh.

• Brock Beauchamp, USAFChief, pbrezeasap and 10 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#30 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:13 AM

Remember when Blake Parker was our lone FA bullpen addition this offseason and our leadership decided that was enough? 

• lukeduke1980 likes this

#31 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,296 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

I thought Shoemaker was damn good. That sinker was really good.

I couldn’t help thinking that the Angels could sure use someone like Shoemaker right about now.
  • luckylager and MMMordabito like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#32 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

No one notices relievers until they mess up. I remember Crain going 20 some games scoreless but then would blow one and the calls to run Crainwreck out of town were rampant. We now have 4 relievers with at least 5 appearances that have sub 2.00 ERA and one with a 2.84 ERA.The bullpen has helped hold onto games this season also.

• pbrezeasap, brvama, 70charger and 6 others like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#33 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:55 AM

The season is 162 games.

• Brock Beauchamp, brvama, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#34 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

I couldn’t help thinking that the Angels could sure use someone like Shoemaker right about now.

I was thinking that Toronto may end up moving him near the trade deadline ... Might be worth a look .... However, he doesn't have a strong history of lasting long ... History shows he has a max of about 23 starts left this season ... Not sure how much I would give up on that gamble

#35 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

I understand everyone’s frustration with the bullpen, but I’d remind you all that Mejia is a starter that they moved to the bullpen because the rotation was full and he was out of options. His is a pitcher that the organization values and does not want to loose. As such he is a guy who should be able to get out both leftie and rightie batters. Also, Baldelli saving arms is not something people should be complaining about, killing the reliable bullpen arms is part of what got Molitor fired. I do have to agree with those wondering why they didn’t let Harper come back in the 8th. I am wondering about Vasquez vs. Reed or Eades though.

Great post.Big picture perspective is often lost every time there is a loss.92 wins is about what I've seen from the most positive of fans (I predicted 84 myself), so even in that scenario, this is going to happen 65 more times.The Twins will quickly run out of players to DFA and demote or coaches and managers to fire and demean, if the pitchforks come out every single time.

• howieramone2 likes this

#36 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

To be fair, looking at the line up we put out and who we had starting on the mound. If I would have seen the box score and not the game, I would have assumed Perez gave up 5 runs and we lost a fairly boring game. I'm not too upset about it, if there was any game we would lose in this series, it was this one. Still mildly disappointing how it happened. 

• brvama and Tom Froemming like this

#37 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:24 AM

Kimbrel gets better lookin' with each passing day...

#38 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

An important thing to remember is that Perez was brought in to be the fifth starter. He’s not expected to be the savior of the rotation. The front office didn’t commit an exorbitant amount of money to him. He just needs to be competent. Anything extra would be a bonus.

lowered-expectations-madtv-350.jpg

• USAFChief, wsnydes, Tom Froemming and 1 other like this

#39 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

I live in LA and the Angels could definitely use Shoemaker right now. hard to keep a guy though who gets hurt and misses most of two years in a row. That team has had more starting pitching injuries than any team should have to live with. 

• Riverbrian likes this

#40 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

A bit early on to be pushing panic buttons.I do remember saying that there would be a lot of heartbreaking late inning losses this year.One.

• bighat likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: martin perez, byron buxton, c.j. cron, ryne harper, adalberto mejia