Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Is Castro odd man out?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

Garver is not the Twins best defensive catcher. He's barely passable.

Last year, man. Last year.

• TheLeviathan likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#62 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

Last year, man. Last year.

It’s super early so the metrics need more time to stabilize but Garver isn’t loved by any of them this year, either. BP has him 17th worst in baseball this season.

Astudillo seems to do okay though.

#63 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

Should be Castro but it won't be. Once Sano returns, Gonzalez becomes the utility IF'er so I don't see much need for Adrianza either. They seem reluctant to play Gonzalez on the OF for some reason so it's not going to be Cave.

Edited by howeda7, 16 April 2019 - 10:23 AM.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#64 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

It’s super early so the metrics need more time to stabilize but Garver isn’t loved by any of them this year, either. BP has him 17th worst in baseball this season.

Astudillo seems to do okay though.

Garver's bbRef dWar is 0.1 so there is at least one system that likes him.

• Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#65 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:11 PM

Garver's bbRef dWar is 0.1 so there is at least one system that likes him.

Unless they’ve radically changed it recently, BR dWAR is close to useless for catchers. If memory serves, it only captures the easiest of stats: passed balls, caught stealing, etc. Other metrics have created catcher-specific systems that try to better capture what makes a good/bad catcher.

#66 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

I think this issue comes up sooner rather than later. With the schedule and the quality of the back end of the bullpen, I would expect the team to add an 8th reliever by next week or as soon as we have a couple of short starts in a row. Tis starting staff requires a lot of bullpen innings and we can't get by with 4 guys and prayer. Morin or Eades is my guess.I think we'll see more short term at bats for Astudillo and Cave since they have options in that fight for that 25th spot. Astudillo no bueno lately - 6 for his last 25, .240/.269/400(.669). Bloom is off the rose? Cave is a little better - 4 for 14, .286/.444/.357 (.801), but no power.Nice OPS, but what happened to any power? I think one of them goes pretty soon.

Like I've said before, I'd prefer they take the chance of DFA'ing Adrianza. Gonzalez and Schoop can play SSS once a week to spell Poolanco and If he stays, Adrianza's the emergency SS at AAA if Polanco gets hurt. If he goes (more likely), Torreyes is the AAA SS who comes up if Polanco needs an IL stint.

#67 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:41 PM

I think this issue comes up sooner rather than later. With the schedule and the quality of the back end of the bullpen, I would expect the team to add an 8th reliever by next week or as soon as we have a couple of short starts in a row. Tis starting staff requires a lot of bullpen innings and we can't get by with 4 guys and prayer. Morin or Eades is my guess. I think we'll see more short term at bats for Astudillo and Cave since they have options in that fight for that 25th spot. Astudillo no bueno lately - 6 for his last 25, .240/.269/400(.669). Bloom is off the rose? Cave is a little better - 4 for 14, .286/.444/.357 (.801), but no power. Nice OPS, but what happened to any power? I think one of them goes pretty soon.

Like I've said before, I'd prefer they take the chance of DFA'ing Adrianza. Gonzalez and Schoop can play SSS once a week to spell Poolanco and If he stays, Adrianza's the emergency SS at AAA if Polanco gets hurt. If he goes (more likely), Torreyes is the AAA SS who comes up if Polanco needs an IL stint.

By the time this question absolutely needs to be answered (likely Sano’s return), I think the answer will be pretty easy.

My initial thoughts are Astudillo. I think he cools off a bit and the front office shuffles him to Rochester for a few months, ready to be called up if any one of a handful of players get injured.
  • LA VIkes Fan and howieramone2 like this

#68 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

I think a shuttling of arms is more likely than going with 8.

They have enough relievers. They just don’t have enough good ones. Adding another bad one isn’t going to change that.
  • Sconnie likes this

#69 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

I think a shuttling of arms is more likely than going with 8.

They have enough relievers. They just don’t have enough good ones. Adding another bad one isn’t going to change that.

Ding ding ding.