Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Is Castro odd man out?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:52 AM

I think Adrianza’s glove it too valuable. I think defense, particularly when Sano returns, will be a weakness. Adrianza will be that important fill-in or late inning defensive sub. I agree that Cave is a likely candidate, but I do think they would prefer he be the off the bench left-handed pinch hitter, rather than Castro.

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,588 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

I think it's Cave. Gonzalez and Astudillo would be the 4th and 5th OF. I don't think Adrianza is nearly as good defensively as advertised, but he's probably better than Gonzalez and as far as the bench goes, the back up SS is probably more important than the 4th OF when the entire starting outfield can all man CF when needed. Plus Cave would only be a 10 day assignment away from being able to be recalled.

I don't have a problem with losing Castro except I'd rather have the flexibility to have Garver and Astudillo in the lineup when needed, which might be often. I normally wouldn't advocate for a 3rd catcher, but when two of your best hitters are catchers then I can get behind it.

• pbrezeasap and rghrbek like this

#23 jkcarew

jkcarew

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:57 AM

If it's worst defender, which is very important for a bench player, it's Cave.

Depends on position...Cave is arguably the best defensive outfielder off the bench. I'd certainly rather have him out there (for defense) before Garver or Astudillo.

Edited by jkcarew, 15 April 2019 - 11:59 AM.

#24 jkcarew

jkcarew

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

I think it's probably Cave or Astudillo at this time. I don't think you say goodbye to Castro this soon. It would be bold, but also pretty risky. Having said that, it's not like Adrianza has been used much lately.

But, barring an injury, there will be two moved, not one. I wouldn't be surprised if the move for the 13th arm comes before the addition of Sano. Although, I suppose they can sustain the AAAA pitcher "shuffle" for a bit longer.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

If we're assuming Adriana is swapped for a relief arm

No need. They can either start using the relief arms they have (Harper and Mejia) or they can start swapping fresh pitchers through those spots as needed (Harper's spot, I guess, since he has options).

#26 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

I would imagine that Astudillo is first to be sent down. I disagree though, in that he has an average of 2 plate appearances per game. I would like to see him play more to really find out if he can sustain his stellar batting average. Castro, no matter his awful batting, will remain with the team. 

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 15 April 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#27 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

Catchers get hurt quite frequently and we don't have any depth behind Castro if we DFA him or trade him, so I'd keep him on the roster for the whole season, if possible. If we ship Castro out and either Astudillo or Garver get injured, we're going to have another Bobby Wilson-type as our #2 catcher.

As most the others have already said, Cave makes the most sense to option to AAA. But just one injury to one of these hitters would change things and make this discussion irrelevant, so I wouldn't worry about the logjam.

• Mike Sixel, scottz, pbrezeasap and 2 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#28 oregontwin

oregontwin

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

Gonzalez.

Nope. What's on second.

#29 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

Nope. What's on second.

I dont know

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#30 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:03 PM

With several comments that I have seen responding about our depth and "nothing" at Rochester, I would like to point out that Tomas Tellis, who is currently in Rochester, has earned MLB time 5 consecutive years with a .230 MLB BA. He's not great, but he could be considered for a back up catcher filling in for an injury for a short amount of time. Really what you're risking is a second injury happening while the starter is out injured. That scenario would also require you to hold Astudillo in reserve as a back up catcher for Garver and not risking him in the field. This would limit his at bats so by no means am I advocating that route but it is more plausible than what it has been made out to be.

Winston Sawyer is also at AAA for a second year and is just 27 years old. Again, not a great prospect and not someone I would want to bring up as a starter but someone that could come up and ride the bench as a back up and give occasional at bats to. These are not great options but we have seen worse here in Twins Territory. Back up catchers are not always good hitters. Sometimes they are just insurance and both of these can serve as insurance and probably bat better than .191 (which we have seen before at starting catcher)

EDITORS NOTE: This is talking about them being the 3rd and 4th catchers in Rochester with Garver the starter and Astudillo as back up. 

Edited by goulik, 15 April 2019 - 01:07 PM.

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and DocBauer like this

#31 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

Someone with an option will go down first, so either Cave or Astudillo. My guess is Cave, then Gonzalez and Astudillo become your back-up out-fielders. 

Edited by woolywoolhouse, 15 April 2019 - 01:12 PM.

#32 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

With the lack of catching prospects, Castro is going nowhere, at least this early in the season. Maybe if things continue to go great for Garver/Astudillo, they consider shopping him at the deadline. Maybe.

"An Evening With La Tortuga" on April 26 means that Astudillo is going absolutely nowhere. Get that out of your heads.
Cave has an option. Gonzalez can play OF if needed. Cave goes to Rochester.

Sano will likely be rehabbing the full 20 days he’s alotted. And it isn’t a guarantee he comes up right away then. He essentially has done zero baseball activities since the injury. We’re talking about a guy with a long swing with not much margain for error when he’s going well. To say he’s going to need time to find his swing is a collossal understatement.

It’s going to be well into May before Sano is ready and thus well past La Tortuga night.

All that said, if the decision were made today it absolutely would be Astudillo. He’s like 2 for his last 14. Has the bubble burst?
  • DocBauer likes this

#33 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,072 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:11 PM

With several comments that I have seen responding about our depth and "nothing" at Rochester, I would like to point out that Tomas Tellis, who is currently in Rochester, has earned MLB time 5 consecutive years with a .230 MLB BA. He's not great, but he could be considered for a back up catcher filling in for an injury for a short amount of time. Really what you're risking is a second injury happening while the starter is out injured. That scenario would also require you to hold Astudillo in reserve as a back up catcher for Garver and not risking him in the field. This would limit his at bats so by no means am I advocating that route but it is more plausible than what it has been made out to be.

Winston Sawyer is also at AAA for a second year and is just 27 years old. Again, not a great prospect and not someone I would want to bring up as a starter but someone that could come up and ride the bench as a back up and give occasional at bats to. These are not great options but we have seen worse here in Twins Territory. Back up catchers are not always good hitters. Sometimes they are just insurance and both of these can serve as insurance and probably bat better than .191 (which we have seen before at starting catcher)

Or we can stay 3 deep there and not worry about it and simply option Astrudillo or cut Adrianza... I don't think Castro goes except via trade deadline once the season is much closer to ending and our playoff picture in consideration.. certainly not now. 

He's not going to get DFAd as he's got value to other teams, and there's no reason to move him at this point until the deadline gets a lot closer. That's probably the soonest.

I get your point about Rochester catchers, but the bottom line is that I doubt the front office wants them in consideration for any time as long as this team is in the playoff picture. If we're in the hunt come trade deadline, he might get moved for an RP or prospects if Garver/Astrudillo are healthy and producing, and he won't be moved at all if one is injured/ineffective. 

• goulik likes this

#34 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:21 PM

Don't forget ... there are a couple of relievers on the DL/IL who will be back soon.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#35 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,949 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

Don't forget ... there are a couple of relievers on the DL/IL who will be back soon.

Magill for Vasquez.Moya has options and as soon as Harper is pitching ok, he will be fine.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#36 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

True.

Magill is apparently going to AAA for a rehab assignment right now, and is out of options. I guess we could swap him for Harper or Vasquez at the bottom of the pen, but I can't imagine making a major roster move to fit him in. I could see Magill DFA'd instead, if there's no one we want to remove.

Moya will start his rehab this week, but he also has options remaining.

Reed still seems a bit further off:

https://www.cbssport...gins-next-week/

• Doomtints likes this

#37 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

I think that we will see a series of phantom injuries to allow Sano playing time for a number of reasons.First, no guarantee that he stays healthy.Second, no guarantee that he doesn't go into a funk.Third, we really can't afford to lose any of the guys mentioned above.Fourth, having 3 catchers is a great luxury for any manager to have when they can hit.Without the 3rd catcher, you have one fewer pinch hitters available (actually 2, but you know what I mean).Also, there may be some actual injuries by then as well.

• DocBauer likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,791 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

They can lose cave, Astudillo, or Adrianza, with few, if any, issues. Those guys are all backups, with people in the minors who can be backups.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#39 rdehring

rdehring

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:04 PM

Isn't it great to be talking about the Twins having a difficult decision of what move to make when a starter comes back from the IL?

Considering that Cave hasn't played hardly at all, I see him optioned to Rochester.That means no one will be lost to the organization (Adrianza would be claimed).The Twins have several players who can play the outfield in an emergency or even for a few games (Astudillo, Gonzalez and Adrianza) until Cave is brought back if one of the three starters is injured.Considering that the outfield is set for almost all games, it seems to be the best choice to me.

• Sconnie, DocBauer, Doomtints and 1 other like this

#40 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

Or we can stay 3 deep there and not worry about it and simply option Astrudillo or cut Adrianza... I don't think Castro goes except via trade deadline once the season is much closer to ending and our playoff picture in consideration.. certainly not now. 

He's not going to get DFAd as he's got value to other teams, and there's no reason to move him at this point until the deadline gets a lot closer. That's probably the soonest.

I get your point about Rochester catchers, but the bottom line is that I doubt the front office wants them in consideration for any time as long as this team is in the playoff picture. If we're in the hunt come trade deadline, he might get moved for an RP or prospects if Garver/Astrudillo are healthy and producing, and he won't be moved at all if one is injured/ineffective. 

If I was GM, I might make Garver the starter and Castro the back up before I would trade Castro and risk needing the AAA guys at some point. This would leave me trying to decide who to send down or cut. I just wanted to point out there is that possibility that could increase as the year wears on if the other two keep producing and Castro's bat remains dead.

At this point, I see Adrianza as the most expendable. If Polanco goes down, Marwin can fill in for a brief amount of time, a longer amount of time might mean bringing up someone. 

Castro's and Adrianza's bats are not reasons to hold other players back or have them sent down. The big question then is whether or not their defensive sides can be replaced. I lean towards yes.

Again, In Rochester you have Gordon who is a prospect (admittedly not ready) and a couple guys with many years up and down that provide flexible insurance at multiple positions plus a couple more that have shown lots of flexibility in their defensive positions. (Rosales, Torreyes, Valdespin, and Maggi). Again, I don't see these as guys to rely on but I don't see Adrianza's bat as something I want to rely on either.

If Adrianza truly has value, maybe he gets traded. I don't think he is that important to the team though. Frankly, in my opinion, he is replaceable.