Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Is Castro odd man out?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:00 AM

With Sano making the trip down to Ft. Myers to start his rehab assignment, the discussion on whose roster spot is vulnerable seems worthy of discussion.

With three catchers on the roster, conventional wisdom would suggest that one of those slots would be the first place the front office will look. It is clear that Baldelli is struggling with how to get all three catchers innings behind the plate. Garver's performance both offensively and defensively has been one of the pleasant surprises of the first couple of weeks of the season. I have to believe that Baldelli is going to pencil his name into the lineup more often than your typical backup backstop. At the start of the season most would have agreed that La Tortuga would be optioned when Sano returns. However, his strong bat and versatility, not to mention his fearless playing style, is making him a valuable ingredient to team chemistry.  

That leaves Jason Castro as the odd man out.He has played sparingly and hasn't distinguished himself when he has had opportunities.The $8M remaining on his contract would be a tough pill to swallow if they DFA'd him, but I would have to believe there is a team that might deal for him for some catching depth.I would suspect the Twins would need to eat some of the contract, but they would also get another lottery ticket prospect. 

Moving him out of the organization would definitely test the depth they have at the position if Garver or Astudillo got hurt. There is no other catcher on the 40-man, and no immediate option to add someone, which means the team would likely need to look outside the organization for a third option.  

Is Jason Castro on his way out in MN?

• Mike Sixel, jimbo92107, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,077 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:19 AM

There's a good chance that by the time a decision needs to be made, Tortuga's BA will be under .300 and his OPS in a good-but-not-indispensible range. The injury rate for catchers is high, as you say, and cutting ties early with Castro thus has a risk. I'd see Willians spending two months in Rochester, awaiting a deadline deal that moves Castro to the NL.

• Mike Sixel, brvama, Danchat and 9 others like this

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,051 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:19 AM

My guess is the odd man is Adrianza. 

That said, I woudln't be surprised if Castro was traded at the deadline if Astrudillo and Garver keep doing what they are doing. Castro will have some value and could potentially gain a marginal prospect or a useful RP from a team that has an overabudance and needs catching help. 

Only real downside here is that we really don't have much depth behind Garver and Turtle. Even if Rortvedt and Jeffers go on a tear, they will only make it to AA this season. 

• Steve Lein, Thrylos, Mike Frasier Law and 3 others like this

#4 pbrezeasap

pbrezeasap

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

I would expect Cave or Adrianza to be the choice, with Astudillo a distant third.

• USAFChief, Otwins and lukeduke1980 like this

#5 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:25 AM

Garver seems to have made Castro redundant. Has to either be Adrianza and either Castro is gone/Turtle optioned when the time comes for the bullpen to be expanded to 13 and Sano returns.

Pick'um on what happens first outside of injury.

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,730 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

I'll go with astudillo sent down, then we see how people preform....
  • brvama and SF Twins Fan like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#7 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:35 AM

Tough call. I like Astudiilo but he didn't really hit so well when he started to get regular playing time. I think he is a good BENCH player, not a starter, gets exposed with daily playing time. Adrianza fills the backup SS need and I don't know that Gonzalez can be that guy for anything more than a game here or there, so not really good enough if Polanco needs an IL stint. We may lose Adrianza if we expose him to waivers. Cave played well last year but there isn't a lot of playing time now in the OF. But then again, wait until Buxton gets hurt. You hate to trade Castro and then have Garver get hurt.Catcher becomes a black hole because there isn't any one ready in the Minors. No great choices there. 

My first choice would be to waive Adrianza, hope he doesn't get picked up and move him to AAA as injury insurance. If we lose him Torreyes becomes the injury insurance.Second choice is Cave to the minors. Sucks for him since he played so well last year, but he's got options. Same for Astudillo if a regular OF goes down and we need Cave to play OF every day for awhile. 

Chances are an injury will make the decision for us, particularly since we're now playing 37 games in 38 days (is that right?). If not, tough call.  

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 15 April 2019 - 10:42 AM.

• brvama likes this

#8 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

One question that might make a difference to my last post. Can Schoop play SS? He's a good 2B, maybe he can man the position if Polanco goes down?  

#9 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,077 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

One question that might make a difference to my last post. Can Schoop play SS? He's a good 2B, maybe he can man the position if Polanco goes down?  

Good point. He split time between 2B and SS in the minors, suggesting that his management came to view his future (as with many young infielders) to be at 2B - but he played a bit of SS in 2017-18 for Baltimore/Milwaukee, so I would guess he wouldn't be a disaster if pressed into duty there.

• pbrezeasap and brvama like this

#10 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

With the lack of catching prospects, Castro is going nowhere, at least this early in the season. Maybe if things continue to go great for Garver/Astudillo, they consider shopping him at the deadline. Maybe.

"An Evening With La Tortuga" on April 26 means that Astudillo is going absolutely nowhere. Get that out of your heads.

Cave has an option. Gonzalez can play OF if needed. Cave goes to Rochester.

• pbrezeasap, Danchat and psturnbloom like this

#11 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

That's good information about Schoop playing SS in the minors and strengthens my thought that Adrianza is the odd man out when Sano comes back. We can get by with Gonzalez and Schoop to give Polanco a day off here and there, and call up Torreyes if Polanco has to go on the IL. 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 15 April 2019 - 10:51 AM.

• pbrezeasap likes this

#12 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

I think it will be Adrianza or maybe Cave.With Sano back Gonzales will be free to play other positions, and both Garver and Astudillo have some positional flexibility, so this teams 3 catchers is not what you normally think of with 3 catchers.

• pbrezeasap, brvama, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,177 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

It is Cave. Marwin played more outfield than infield last year and both Kepler and Rosario can slide over to center for a day or more. Turtle spent time in the outfield and even Garver has a few innings of experience there. Oh yes, Adrianza has logged several innings in left, as well.

With the versatility that Garver and Astudillo offer, the Twins can go with three catchers for a while. If Astudillo or Garver start looking like average offensive performers, one of them could be optioned, but for now, it is three catchers.
  • pbrezeasap, nicksaviking, brvama and 7 others like this

#14 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:12 AM

If Schoop's on Short, What's on Second? 

• blindeke likes this

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

Gonzalez.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,077 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

Now that's the first thing you've said right.

• scottz, tarheeltwinsfan and wsnydes like this

#17 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,077 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

"An Evening With La Tortuga" on April 26 means that Astudillo is going absolutely nowhere.

Very good information.

I'd complain about making roster decisions based on marketing needs, but that probably does happen with every team now and then, so I will mute my outrage. :)

Since Sano isn't slated to start his rehab until May, I'll still stand with my guess as to what they'll do when we have a starting 3B again.

#18 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

I think Castro goes at the trade deadline.

There are a few ways to slice this. If the Twins want to cut the most overpaid player, that would be Gonzalez. Gonzalez always has slow starts so they won't do this.

If it's worst defender, which is very important for a bench player, it's Cave.

Worst offensive player would be Adrianza.

As others have said, it's going to be Cave.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

Tough call. I like Astudiilo but he didn't really hit so well when he started to get regular playing time.

You mean, his two starts in a row?

• Oldgoat_MN, TheLeviathan and rghrbek like this

#20 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:51 AM

If we're assuming Adriana is swapped for a relief arm then ideally it'd be Castro being removed for Sano. He provides the least value offensively & defensively, and he has no positional flexibility. MN can find a serviceable defensive catcher who can't hit if either Garver or Astudillo goes down. 

That said it'll likely be either Cave or Astudillo on the way out because they have options. This is the same FO/ownership that sold a 2nd round pick rather than just cut bait with what Hughes was owed for half a season. I don't see any way they move on from Castro other than a trade. 

• Mike Sixel likes this