Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Will Buxton ever “stay healthy”?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,236 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

You don't play professional sports with the goal of staying healthy. There isn't some switch in your head that tells you which plays to go for and which ones not to. Buxton at a 100% is what makes him Buxton....otherwise he's Jake Cave.

Buxton on the IL makes him what? About as valuable to the team as I am, I suppose.

#42 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,338 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Buxton on the IL makes him what? About as valuable to the team as I am, I suppose.

I don't know the answer to this but I'll ask the question in case someone does. 

How many of his injuries were the result of trying too hard? 

• twinsnorth49 likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#43 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,236 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

I don't know the answer to this but I'll ask the question in case someone does.

How many of his injuries were the result of trying too hard?

i don’t either, but I’m not sure the question is framed accurately. How many of his injuries have been as a result of failure to make adjustments that reduce his impact on the wall?

My recollection of last year was fouling a ball off his toe was the injury, but coming back too soon was what lost the season for him.

He’s lost time to migraine and back injury that we could guess came from wall collision, but will never know.

Edited by Sconnie, 16 April 2019 - 06:14 PM.

• Riverbrian and TheLeviathan like this

#44 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Injuries are part of the game, he's not the same player if he alters his game in order to preserve his health. Nobody plays trying to get hurt or not hurt, it's a hard game. Just reality, welcome to it.

#45 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:24 PM

I've always been a big fan of blaming players for being "injury prone".

It's a lazy narrative.

#46 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,525 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

What do you make of his comment to the Strib that he judges great catches by the force of impact with the wall?

I'm not sure that's a good way to view that.I don't want to read too much into it, but I don't like that on the surface.

And, again, I absolutely think you can teach a player to avoid potential injuries and still play hard.Hell, when I coached football, it would be the focus of hours of training camp.It's about technique and awareness and that can be taught.

• Sconnie likes this

#47 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:06 AM

Is this it?

I do not subscribe to the athletic, but I probably should..,

https://theathletic....-of-his-career/

That’s the one. I do subscribe, but this article is 9 months olds and they don’t appear to store articles that old on the app.

#48 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:28 AM

Alright, I read it on the web after logging. Here is a quote:

“A lot of guys sometimes will get back there too fast,” he said. “They go to jump and they jump into the wall, and they get stuck. So, what I like to do is I like to at least make sure I go up before I get to the wall. That way, my momentum will carry me back and at least I’m already up. Nothing makes me more mad than getting to the wall, go to make my leap, and jump, and then I get brought down by the wall. I feel like I just wasted an opportunity.”

He also describes the wall as a horror movie villain, and talks about how he hates diving forward for balls because you can break your wrist, and how he has learned to go limp before contact in order to reduce injury.
  • ashbury, TheLeviathan and Sconnie like this