Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Will Buxton ever “stay healthy”?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,310 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

I took that from your post also, but I do think there is a prevailing misunderstanding in this thread about Buxton's problem. It isn't aggression, it's recklessness. And it IS a problem.

True, there is the nagging problem of Buxton's level of athletic expertise. I remember when he first came up, I was shocked at how "raw" he still seemed. It showed up everywhere: In the field, he was crashing into walls a lot; at the plate, he was flailing at outside curves in the dirt; on base, his stealing technique was so poor that even Buxton's amazing speed wasn't saving him. 

It became clear that Buxton had been cruising through the minors on his massive athletic talent, yet he lacked the refined techniques to become a star at the mlb level. You may recall that Molitor dedicated a lot of mentoring time showing Buxton how to bunt, and Molitor schooled him in great detail on the art of stealing second base. 

Ironically, the results of Molitor's tutoring are now paying off, after Molitor got fired. Buxton's speed, plus Molitor's stealing technique, equals an unstoppable stealing threat. But notice that Buxton never even tries to steal third base or home. Why? Because Molitor hadn't worked with him on that...yet. 

It appears that Buxton requires careful tutoring and tons of reps on each aspect of the game. When that happens, he becomes great at that particular aspect. Over time, it does appear that he is getting better at various aspects of his game. This bodes well for his career, including his freedom from needless injury. 

Edited by jimbo92107, 14 April 2019 - 12:33 PM.

• ewen21 likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#22 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

Just saw the promotion on Buxton and his own teammates had to say "if he's healthy" he is something to see.

To say minimize the injrury concern and dismiss it as speaking out of court (vis a vis his style of play) is pretty irresponisble.I want him making great plays, but he doesn't have to be so darn reckless.There are a number of times thus far in his career where he unecessarily crashed into the wall on plays he had literally no chance of making.I cannot praise the effort in those situations.

• Jack likes this

#23 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

How about that last one. Does that one meet with the critics’ approval?

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,043 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:37 PM

It meets Mine... Nice play.

Baseball the way it is supposed to be played. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,847 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

I'm confused how this thread is here given that Buxton is (knocks on wood) healthy.

#26 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:14 PM

I'm confused how this thread is here given that Buxton is (knocks on wood) healthy.

but you knocked on wood? If his health wasn’t always a concern would you knock?
  • Riverbrian, TheLeviathan and ewen21 like this

#27 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,930 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:48 PM

I'm glad he caught it, but it still looked like he slowed down and then sped up to hit harder. Nice catch, but I was cringing and holding my breath as he hit the wall. He did hit at an angle that seemed less likely to cause injury than he has done in previous crashes.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,713 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

I'm glad he caught it, but it still looked like he slowed down and then sped up to hit harder. Nice catch, but I was cringing and holding my breath as he hit the wall. He did hit at an angle that seemed less likely to cause injury than he has done in previous crashes.

Are you saying he slowed down to make the catch look better? I’m not sure what you’re saying here.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

It looked to me like he took another bad angle or the wind altered it, hard to tell obviously.But it did look like a ball that did not require a wall collision.

• ewen21 likes this

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,713 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

It looked to me like he took another bad angle or the wind altered it, hard to tell obviously. But it did look like a ball that did not require a wall collision.

Watch it again. That ball knuckled hard. It was well to the first base side of second base and then twisted back to almost dead center.

Look at Buxton’s angle of approach. The reason he slowed is because the ball was heading to right center off the bat and Byron had to drastically change angles to get it.

I don’t know if there’s another centerfielder in baseball who gets that ball.

And I say this as a person who doesn’t like Buxton’s approach in the field because 95% of Byron Buxton is better than 0% of Byron Buxton.
  • gunnarthor, Monkeypaws, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#31 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:08 PM

Watch it again. That ball knuckled hard. It was well to the first base side of second base and then twisted back to almost dead center.

Look at Buxton’s angle of approach. The reason he slowed is because the ball was heading to right center off the bat and Byron had to drastically change angles to get it.

I don’t know if there’s another centerfielder in baseball who gets that ball.

And I say this as a person who doesn’t like Buxton’s approach in the field because 95% of Byron Buxton is better than 0% of Byron Buxton.

I agree about the possible knuckling, that's what I was alluding to.But Buxton also took a bad angle going back on the last crash into the wall.

So when I watch it again and the camera pans to him he is running hard to right center.He starts drifting back towards his left shoulder at one point and then veers hard that direction.

Are you sure it wasn't a really, really bad angle right off the bat?Maybe that's the knuckle/wind effect, but his course/angle is not good almost from the start.Maybe there is no way to answer that.

#32 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

His adjustment to that misalignment between the ball's trajectory and his angle would not have been possible for anyone else.That's what made that a great catch.

I'm just noting this is now two wall crashes where his route and the ball's trajectory were not well aligned.Maybe it's spin on the ball or weather, I'm just noting them.He's still an elite fielder, but if his routes continue to be misaligned I hope that gets fixed so we can save that 95% Buxton that Brock referred to.

• Sconnie likes this

#33 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

Also not a fan of his Strib comment that he judges catch-greatness on how hard he crashes into the wall.

#34 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

Frankly I’m more worried about him striking first base awkwardly trying to beat out an infield grounder, than him crashing into a wall.

#35 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,713 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

I agree about the possible knuckling, that's what I was alluding to.But Buxton also took a bad angle going back on the last crash into the wall.

So when I watch it again and the camera pans to him he is running hard to right center.He starts drifting back towards his left shoulder at one point and then veers hard that direction.

Are you sure it wasn't a really, really bad angle right off the bat?Maybe that's the knuckle/wind effect, but his course/angle is not good almost from the start.Maybe there is no way to answer that.

If you watch the second replay of the broadcast after the catch, you can see the ball most of the time. It's going to right center off the bat and then knuckles back to center. Buxton's reactions are perfectly in line with what the ball is doing.

Besides, if there's one thing we can't really question about Buxton, it's his flyball reaction speed and route. He's elite in that regard. He doesn't just take "bad routes", as his read off the bat is pretty stellar.

This was just a weird ball and he managed to catch it.

Again, I wish Buxton would lay up more often but the way he played this ball was masterful.

https://www.mlb.com/...eos,game=566967

• TheLeviathan and dbminn like this

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,847 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:02 AM

but you knocked on wood? If his health wasn’t always a concern would you knock?

you know what they say about karma right?

• Riverbrian and Sconnie like this

#37 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:49 AM

Also not a fan of his Strib comment that he judges catch-greatness on how hard he crashes into the wall.

There it is right there.HE keeps on injecting into the discussion so I do not get it when people who don't like hearing the criticism use the "why are we talking about this?" retort.

We talk about it because it is an issue that can cause him to be on the shelf for a very long time.He has amassed quite a highlight reel of outfield collisions--beginning with that horrific one in New Britain.

With regards to wall collisions, Buxton seems to have it on his brain and that to me is troubling.He put on muscle during the offseason and I felt he needed to do that for a number of reasons, but not one of those reasons was to hold up to the wall collisions better.Whether it is in gest or not, the media and Buxton have referred to that constantly.It's become his trademark and it is a dangerous game to play.Other players made acrobatic catches--Ken Griffey Jr comes to mind--but the way Buxton does it is so much more awkward and violent.If it continues it won't end well and that is a shame because it looks like he is getting his offensive game in order.

As mentioned before ...he isn't injured "knock wood"

• Sconnie and Jack like this

#38 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:58 AM

I hold my breath every time he goes up against a wall. He doesn’t seem like he has figured out yet to minimize impact — always seems a bit awkward crashing, limbs going everywhere.

I think I already mentioned this once, but there was a great article last year by Chad Jenning about Jackie Bradley Jr and his spectacular catches; he ranked his top ten catches. He talked about how he worked to get better at avoiding injury / awkward crashes. I don’t want Buxton to stop making spectacular catches, but he needs to get better at navigating walls to save himself from missing playing time.
  • TheLeviathan and Sconnie like this

#39 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:29 PM

I hold my breath every time he goes up against a wall. He doesn’t seem like he has figured out yet to minimize impact — always seems a bit awkward crashing, limbs going everywhere.

I think I already mentioned this once, but there was a great article last year by Chad Jenning about Jackie Bradley Jr and his spectacular catches; he ranked his top ten catches. He talked about how he worked to get better at avoiding injury / awkward crashes. I don’t want Buxton to stop making spectacular catches, but he needs to get better at navigating walls to save himself from missing playing time.

Is this it?

I do not subscribe to the athletic, but I probably should..,

https://theathletic....-of-his-career/
  • ashbury likes this

#40 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,774 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

You don't play professional sports with the goal of staying healthy. There isn't some switch in your head that tells you which plays to go for and which ones not to. Buxton at a 100% is what makes him Buxton....otherwise he's Jake Cave.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this