Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Will Buxton ever “stay healthy”?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,236 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:44 AM

In a not so revealing interview with MLB.com, Buxton tells the interviewer “I’m going to be me” 146 times including the excerpt below.

“MLB.com: Speaking of laying off the wall: I’ve seen you get hurt because you hit the wall so many times. Have you thought about laying off the wall?

Buxton: There is no point in it. If you are going to come out here and you want to win, you do what you have to do to help your team win. You have but one life. I’m going to make the most of it while I can.”

https://www.mlb.com/...ortable-in-2019

While we’ve seen a more effective hitter by this new approach, the health is status quo.

Will Buxton ever “stay healthy” with this approach? When he’s on the field, he’s game changing, but he’s such a part time player.

I really wanted Bill Larson to point blank ask (never gonna happen) him if he’s willing to do what it takes to stay on the field. He hurts himself and the team by getting injured. He needs to stay healthy.

Is this the defining season for Buxton? Will he figure it out, despite what he says?

Edited by Sconnie, 13 April 2019 - 06:45 AM.

• glunn and nclahammer like this

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:07 AM

I have no idea, but I'm interested to see.
There are countless examples of young players in all sports who just seem to get hurt all the time, then they figure out how to stay healthy.
Of course, there are countless who don't figure it out, and are never the same.
  • brvama, Sconnie and dbminn like this

#3 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

His answer says it all. He thinks he is helping the team to win if he goes all out and crashes into the wall regardless if he can make the catch or not. That is not how you help your team win when they are better with you on the field than on the IL. He's like most atheletes who only think of themselves. They want to see themselves on highlight reels making spectacular plays and winning awards. Buck plays for Buck, not for the team.

Did crashing into the wall trying to catch the Royals Mondesi's inside the park home run really help the team win or would have holding him to a double been better?

• gil4, ewen21 and Jack like this

#4 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

My take on this interview (and most of Buxton's interviews over the winter/spring):

He's done worrying about what other people think. To be honest, I think that's good for him. He's always been at his best when he's doing his own thing. We've seen what happens when he overthinks and gets overcoached. Not good.

I'm all in with the "new Buxton". It doesn't bother me that he's playing reckless out there, as long as he's hitting .280 and putting the ball in play. He was (and possibly still is) in danger of completely flaming out of the league and becoming one of the biggest busts in history. Let the man do his own thing, it can't hurt.

• jimbo92107, brvama, Riverbrian and 5 others like this

#5 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,496 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

Buxton not using his speed and athleticism to get to balls other outfielders can’t get to, isn’t anything special. He becomes everyone else’s centerfielder.

Keep on playing at the edge of your ability, Byron. Once in a while that means taking on a wall, or diving on the warning track. That’s baseball at the highest level.
  • Han Joelo, diehardtwinsfan, jimbo92107 and 12 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,496 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

His answer says it all. He thinks he is helping the team to win if he goes all out and crashes into the wall regardless if he can make the catch or not. That is not how you help your team win when they are better with you on the field than on the IL. He's like most atheletes who only think of themselves. They want to see themselves on highlight reels making spectacular plays and winning awards. Buck plays for Buck, not for the team.

Did crashing into the wall trying to catch the Royals Mondesi's inside the park home run really help the team win or would have holding him to a double been better?

Catching it would have been better. You want him to pull up on every ball that’s anywhere close to the edge of his range?

BTW, what he tried was the opposite of playing for himself.
  • jorgenswest, Riverbrian, bighat and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#7 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:35 AM

I don't think he will ever play more than 140 games in a season. He will inevitably hurt himself on defense once or twice per season.  

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

This is the defining season for his Twins tenure, yes. He needs to hit at league average. Preferably above average. Otherwise his career could go the route Billy Hamilton's is taking.

#9 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,236 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

I don't think he will ever play more than 140 games in a season. He will inevitably hurt himself on defense once or twice per season.

only a few players per season play more than 140. I’d be thrilled if we got 140 games of Buxton playing his best.
  • bighat and Original Whizzinator like this

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,338 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

Buxton should avoid running into busy traffic during rush hour. He should avoid running with scissors. He should avoid running any time he sees one of those yellow "Wet Floor" signs. 

But On the Field... Try to avoid running into a teammate. Everything else on the field... Flipping Go for It. I buy tickets to watch players go for it... I don't come to watch them lay up.

Try to win the game... always. 

• ashbury, USAFChief, Han Joelo and 10 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#11 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

I've never really seen anyone accomplish anything great in life by playing it safe and not taking chances.  Run Byron, RUN!!!

• brvama, Hosken Bombo Disco and bighat like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,525 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:17 PM

Seems to be a bit of a false dilemma here.There is a difference between aggressive and reckless.  

Byron finding the difference (not just in the field, but at the plate) is the biggest question of this season.

• Sconnie, DocBauer, SheboyganBrats and 1 other like this

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

I hope Buxton can stay healthy and I wish he would pull up on the occasional ball but I think he'll get there in time. As his body ages, he'll be less excited to run into walls at 20mph. 

• dbminn likes this

#14 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:30 PM

Try to imagine telling a pro hockey player, "You just be careful out there, don't get hurt." You'd either get laughed at, or slapped. They know, and Buxton knows, that sports at its highest level has to be played all out, no holding back. That is not to say that Buxton should charge head-first into walls. Pro athletes survive by learning how to turn direct hits into oblique ones, how to shoulder roll and slide out of falls, etc. We misinterpret Buxton when he says "I gotta be me." That just means he knows he's got to go all-out to play his best. After that, it's technique that will protect him, the professional jujitsu that redirects kinetic energy into a harmless roll or slide. In that regard, I think Buxton has gotten better out there. His reads in CF seem quicker and more accurate, which means better jumps and more precise footwork. Professional outfield coaches are working all these guys all the time on refining their fielding.

To me it looks like Buxton has turned a corner this season. He looks physically stronger and emotionally a lot more confident. He looks like he knows he belongs in the pros, and that he has a chance to be really, really good. I am no longer seeing the Buxton that was tying his stomach in knots worrying that he could be sent down to the minors again. It's quite possible that Baldelli told him to stop worrying and just play ball. I hope that was part of it. Byron Buxton looks like a man now. Go for it, dude.

• Han Joelo, Riverbrian, AlwaysinModeration and 4 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#15 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:12 AM

Catching it would have been better. You want him to pull up on every ball that’s anywhere close to the edge of his range?

BTW, what he tried was the opposite of playing for himself.

Evidently you didn't see the play. He didn't even have has his head turned around to see the ball. He had no chance at catching it. To be a good player you have to also play with your brain. Using it, would help determine if the ball is at the edge of his range or just outside his range. 

I'd like to see Buck succeed! He isn't going to do that if he's injured. He already lost last season to injury. I'd rather see him making great catches on balls that he can get to than see him get hurt trying to catch balls that he can't.

Edited by rv78, 14 April 2019 - 07:21 AM.

#16 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

Evidently you didn't see the play. He didn't even has his head turned around to see the ball. He had no chance at catching it. To be a good player you have to also play with your brain.

He had no chance of catching it because he took a poor angle and poor technique at the wall.
That ball was definitely in his range though if he plays it better.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Try to imagine telling a pro hockey player, "You just be careful out there, don't get hurt." You'd either get laughed at, or slapped. 

You don't want a player playing to not get hurt, that's true.But you also teach players, even in violent sports like football and hockey, to take the reckless out of their game.Getting hurt because you play hard is one thing, getting hurt (or suspended in the case of hockey or football) because you're reckless IS something you'd want to coach out of a player.

Take a look at hockey last night with Kadri.Dude plays an aggressive game and is one helluva player.But then he got reckless and probably lost himself 10 playoff games for it.That hurts him AND his team.

Plenty of great baseball players played all out without putting themselves recklessly in positions to be hurt.Jeter and Trout come immediately to mind.Buxton needs someone to work with him on taking out the reckless and keeping the aggression.It doesn't help him, or the team, to run himself into injuries all the time because he can't make that distinction.

• jimbo92107 and Sconnie like this

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

You don't want a player playing to not get hurt, that's true. But you also teach players, even in violent sports like football and hockey, to take the reckless out of their game. Getting hurt because you play hard is one thing, getting hurt (or suspended in the case of hockey or football) because you're reckless IS something you'd want to coach out of a player.

Take a look at hockey last night with Kadri. Dude plays an aggressive game and is one helluva player. But then he got reckless and probably lost himself 10 playoff games for it. That hurts him AND his team.

Plenty of great baseball players played all out without putting themselves recklessly in positions to be hurt. Jeter and Trout come immediately to mind. Buxton needs someone to work with him on taking out the reckless and keeping the aggression. It doesn't help him, or the team, to run himself into injuries all the time because he can't make that distinction.

Correct. Ryan Suter is the best example I know of a hockey player who has an instinct for avoiding violent collisions.
  • TheLeviathan likes this

#19 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

You don't want a player playing to not get hurt, that's true.But you also teach players, even in violent sports like football and hockey, to take the reckless out of their game.Getting hurt because you play hard is one thing, getting hurt (or suspended in the case of hockey or football) because you're reckless IS something you'd want to coach out of a player.

Take a look at hockey last night with Kadri.Dude plays an aggressive game and is one helluva player.But then he got reckless and probably lost himself 10 playoff games for it.That hurts him AND his team.

Plenty of great baseball players played all out without putting themselves recklessly in positions to be hurt.Jeter and Trout come immediately to mind.Buxton needs someone to work with him on taking out the reckless and keeping the aggression.It doesn't help him, or the team, to run himself into injuries all the time because he can't make that distinction.

I think we're talking about the same thing, but saying it different ways. Pro coaches do teach players how to take the "reckless" out of their game. Part of it is positioning and anticipation. Another part is footwork. Another part is understanding how to roll out of a direct hit. None of these techniques takes away from the player's dedication and determination. They just allow him to survive "going for it."

• TheLeviathan likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,525 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

I think we're talking about the same thing, but saying it different ways. Pro coaches do teach players how to take the "reckless" out of their game. Part of it is positioning and anticipation. Another part is footwork. Another part is understanding how to roll out of a direct hit. None of these techniques takes away from the player's dedication and determination. They just allow him to survive "going for it."

I took that from your post also, but I do think there is a prevailing misunderstanding in this thread about Buxton's problem. It isn't aggression, it's recklessness. And it IS a problem.
  • gil4, Sconnie and Jack like this