Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/11): Top Pitching Prospects Take Mound

brusdar graterol jordan balazovic jhoan duran luke raley luis arraez
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• 16,547 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:41 AM

He gave up 9 runs in a start in early June, but after that he dialed it in and went 6-0 in his final 10 starts in Double A.

True, although the 5 walks in this game stand out a bit more. He did that once last year too, but it was in 4 shutout innings.

• Steve Lein likes this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:45 AM

Why is the defense so bad in Rochester? Is it because Gordon isn't playing and Torreyes can't play SS? That really limits his value as a utility guy/Adrianza replacement if he can't play SS. In the OF, there's Rooker, Raley and Wade, all of whom we've talked about playing on the Twins as early as later this year. Are they all that bad?

I'm just curious because it says something about reinforcements available to the Twins if there is poor performance or injury, or if we need to make a trade from the 25 man for relief pitching down the road. If the OFs can't really play OF very well, that limits our ability to trade Cave or Wade as part of a package for pitching because we need them around in case/when Buxton gets hurt. The IF defense might help explain why Polanco seems to be the anointed SS for the foreseeable future and also means we need to keep Adrianza so we have a SS if Polanco gets laid up. Also curious if there's a catcher that could help in case we need to trade one for pitching. 

It might just be early in the season ,so the fielding percentage isn't a big deal. The OF isn't terrible, but there isn't a rangy CF in the group. They all do fine with what they get to. Wade is pretty good but again, probably not a CF (which is fine). 

The infield has struggled. Not a ton of range with Cesar, Torreyes or Rosales. Torreyes and Rosales are fine as 4th or 5th infielders. Cesar has really struggled early this year with grounders and with throws.

Weather factors into all of this. Throwing, range, etc. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:50 AM

All around defense? Is anyone any good?

That's a fair question and admittedly I'm looking at 1.) them being worst in the league in fielding percentage and 2.) watching parts of 3-4 of their games so far, and 3.) conversations. 

I think - and again, it's probably too early to make too many grand statements - that a lot of them are adequate defenders, average defenders or slightly below. Adn that probably plays OK on a team where you've got a few guys that are above average in those areas.. I mean, if Brent Rooker is in LF, it'll be a step or two or three down from Rosario. But you can adjust Buxton and Kepler two-three steps to their right and you help minimize it some. Also, I think that playing with really good defensive players around you helps you up your game. 

That's all philosophical and guessing, of course. 

• Mike Sixel, gagu and MN_ExPat like this

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:51 AM

A Twins pitcher throwing 99 mph? Whoa! Be still my heart!

Alcala? Graterol? Duran? Quezada? Maybe Colina (more 95-98). There are a bunch of them in those upper nineties and into the triple digits. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#25 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,572 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

Can't help but think Graterol is just wasting bullets in the minors. There's not even the usual red flag for guys like this of high walk rates. 

I want Knight up on the team just for the possibility of him doing that back flip at the end of a game.

• h2oface likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#26 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,488 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

Balazovic will be the big riser this year. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#27 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,402 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

After their first 250 at-bats (collectively), Fort Myers team BA is .201 and team SLG is .297. Was looking forward to watching them given the very large number of top-20 position players in the lineup, but so far in my two attempts it's been like watching paint dry. As a group, still getting their BB, and not striking out a ton...but still waiting for the base hits, and x-base hits.

#28 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,402 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

Thorpe has always been somewhat finesse over stuff, hopefully this isn't him getting to the level where his stuff no longer plays.

Yeah...when I see such awful results out of the gate, my mind goes to the same dark place...or that he has an injury that he's not disclosing. Hopefully, neither. But it sure would feel 100% better if he posted even one positive outing soon. The only things we (fans) have seen from him so far in 2019, including the ST game appearances, have been bad.

#29 spycake

spycake

• 16,547 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

Can't help but think Graterol is just wasting bullets in the minors.

Well, he only pitched 102 innings last year, so not too many bullets, at least.

And now that he's at AA, and he requires a 40-man spot after the season anyway, perhaps we'll see him in MLB before too long. Alcala and Jax are in a similar spot at AA.

• Dantes929 and MN_ExPat like this

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,240 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

That's a fair question and admittedly I'm looking at 1.) them being worst in the league in fielding percentage and 2.) watching parts of 3-4 of their games so far, and 3.) conversations. 

I think - and again, it's probably too early to make too many grand statements - that a lot of them are adequate defenders, average defenders or slightly below. Adn that probably plays OK on a team where you've got a few guys that are above average in those areas.. I mean, if Brent Rooker is in LF, it'll be a step or two or three down from Rosario. But you can adjust Buxton and Kepler two-three steps to their right and you help minimize it some. Also, I think that playing with really good defensive players around you helps you up your game. 

That's all philosophical and guessing, of course. 

thanks Seth. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#31 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,713 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

On the OF, I think Wade and Raley can be a solid corner OFers defensively but one is playing out of position in CF now. As to Rooker, I would expect him to be a below avg defender. So, realistically, the Red Wings are playing two LFers and a 1B in the OF on most nights.

That explains a lot. That might also explain why the last 2 trades concentrated on athletic CF types (Zeigler and Andreoli) rather than guys who hit. Looks like we need a CF for the AAA club, although I think Andreoli is there but not playing. 

• gagu likes this

#32 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,008 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:39 PM

It might just be early in the season ,so the fielding percentage isn't a big deal. The OF isn't terrible, but there isn't a rangy CF in the group. They all do fine with what they get to. Wade is pretty good but again, probably not a CF (which is fine). 

I'm sure Buxton will be on a rehab assignment with the Wings soon so that should help with the outfield defense....

I kid, I kid...

#33 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,408 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

Well, he only pitched 102 innings last year, so not too many bullets, at least.

And now that he's at AA, and he requires a 40-man spot after the season anyway, perhaps we'll see him in MLB before too long. Alcala and Jax are in a similar spot at AA.

With the names you mention and I expect many others, gonna be some real teeth grinding coming out of Target Field come November.Expect there is going to be some real talent exposed to the Rule 5.Hopefully, some of it will be dealt this summer so we get something in return.

#34 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

That explains a lot. That might also explain why the last 2 trades concentrated on athletic CF types (Zeigler and Andreoli) rather than guys who hit. Looks like we need a CF for the AAA club, although I think Andreoli is there but not playing.

Actually, Andreoli seems to be playing center most nights. The other outfielders are rotating thru the DH spot. So all 4 are in the lineup most nights.

#35 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

So far, Wade has played 8 games. Raley has the fewest with 5 and the fewest ab's with 16. Wiel is in the mix somewhere as he has 6 games and they aren't all at first probably because of Rosario.

#36 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

That's another thing to keep in mind here -- Balazovic is repeating the level. Not that he's old, of course, but he has faced this level of competition before, which might explain some of his hot start.

Also, while he's been very good through 2 games, he hasn't been as efficient as one might like to see. 83 pitches and he didn't finish the 5th inning in this start. Outs and strikeouts are nice, but it seems like the best prospects can put away minor league hitters with a bit more efficiency.

Obviously still very early in the season, and early in Balazovic's career, so plenty of time for him to improve -- but it's also probably still early to say Law was right and others wrong too.

He's kind of on the Gonsalves timeline. And I know Gonsalves has told me that it was a good plan for him. Finish a year with 10-12 starts at a level. Learn stuff. Go to the offseason. Work on stuff. Go back there, make another 10-12 starts, move up about the halfway mark, and repeat all the way up.I was thinking about that as it relates to Balazovic, and I really like it. 

"Repeat the level" to me means spending a full year at a level. 10-12 starts isn't a lot at all. 

And strikeout pitchers tend to throw more pitches, and in the lower levels, there can be more 3-2 types of counts. 

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

After their first 250 at-bats (collectively), Fort Myers team BA is .201 and team SLG is .297. Was looking forward to watching them given the very large number of top-20 position players in the lineup, but so far in my two attempts it's been like watching paint dry. As a group, still getting their BB, and not striking out a ton...but still waiting for the base hits, and x-base hits.

A quick look at those top prospects, and they're all 19-21 and playing against guys who are 23-24 (obvious exceptions on both sides). Baddoo is playing his first games there. Miranda and Lewis weren't there for long. Jeffers, Larnach and Helman were 2019 picks trying to figure their way on and off the field still. 

My point isn't that we shouldn't expect them to improve. They are all immensely talented and most likely will work their way through it. 

Prospect status doesn't always equate to on-field stats and wins. 

• Danchat and gagu like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brusdar graterol, jordan balazovic, jhoan duran, luke raley, luis arraez