Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Is Jorge Polanco Breaking Out?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,730 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:59 PM

Final statement...probably.

This kid is talented, athletic, and real. He's not a bad SS, but will probably be even better at 2B. Gold Glove? Not going to go there. Do you all realize he's still only 25 until July? Seems he's been around forever, but he hasn't.

We could include Kepler when we talk about "thank you" extensions. Unless you haven't paid attentions, this kid is for real. I'm not saying .900 OPS, that's actually crazy. But consistent high .700 and .800-ish? Absolutely!

I stand by my opinion that the Polanco extension was smarter than the Kepler extension (but I wholly support both).

As a shortstop, Polanco is a tweener with the glove. But I think he's going to be a pretty consistent .800-ish OPS guy up the middle as an infielder (give or take 30 points either way based on season). It's better to have that guy at short but also very good to have that guy at second, where his defense isn't as exposed.

It was the best extension the Twins signed this offseason, in my opinion. I expect Polanco to settle in as a .780 guy with a few seasonal spikes through his prime, possibly one or two monster seasons mixed in.

It's a good signing.

• Brandon, Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,258 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:48 PM

I stand by my opinion that the Polanco extension was smarter than the Kepler extension (but I wholly support both).

As a shortstop, Polanco is a tweener with the glove. But I think he's going to be a pretty consistent .800-ish OPS guy up the middle as an infielder (give or take 30 points either way based on season). It's better to have that guy at short but also very good to have that guy at second, where his defense isn't as exposed.

It was the best extension the Twins signed this offseason, in my opinion. I expect Polanco to settle in as a .780 guy with a few seasonal spikes through his prime, possibly one or two monster seasons mixed in.

It's a good signing.

100%!

I still maintain he's better at SS than given credit for. It's a position you grow in to, unless just blessed the way an Ozzie or Vizquel was, etc. The problem I see with Polanco at SS is he makes great plays but tnen seems a little awquard or late on some. Can this be ironed out with a little more time and experience? Maybe so. But even still, he is destined for 2B, probably, if for no other reason than Lewis and Javier. And that is not a bad thing! One of them will play SS, the other 3B. (Leaving Miranda out of the equation at this point).

Completely agree with a .780+ OPS. Disagree on the Kepler extension, even though you agree. Wait, do we have a conundrum on our hands? Lol. I buy in to Kepler just as much as I do Polanco. We are consumed with Buxton and Sano, rightfully so. But I think we lose perspective at times just how talented Polano and Kepler are, and what they can be. But that's also a different arguement.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown