Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: NYM 9, MIN 6: Forever of a 5th Inning

jake odorizzi mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,984 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:36 AM

I don't remember who posted it but I remember research being posted on Odorizzi and the pumpkin he turns into around 70 pitches. 

When does the organization declare that Odorizzi will be a 4 inning guy max? 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,553 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:37 AM

A bit of overreach by Baldelli starting Astudillo for the 5th straight game

Astudillo hasn't started 5 straight games. He only started one game in Philadelphia over the weekend, and didn't even appear in Sunday's game. He actually only has 5 starts for the season so far.
  • Mike Sixel, Danchat, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#23 spycake

spycake

• 16,553 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:42 AM

There are times in every game, when the game is on the line. That time last night was when the Mets' pitcher was coming to bat...and again when he was walked, loading the bases. Why not put the best lefty reliever in the AL in to pitch to a left-handed hitted at that critical point...that game changing point? Rogers was well rested and has no game today. Why not put your best reliever in at the game's critical point?

I'm all for aggressive bullpen ideas, but no way a pitcher's PA, in the 5th inning, requires your best reliever.

I could see the argument, though, for getting Rogers or another top reliever warm at that point, ready to come in when the lineup turned over.

Edited by spycake, 11 April 2019 - 06:42 AM.

• brvama, tarheeltwinsfan and MN_ExPat like this

#24 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 6,834 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:46 AM

I turned off the Twins in disgust and switched over to the Blue Wahoos against the Jumbo Shrimp. (Gotta love those MiLB nicknames!) I thought I was in a time warp. The Shrimp had the bases loaded with no outs and the Wahoos' pitcher proceeded to hit the batter to force in a run, cutting a two-run lead to one. They managed to get out of it but only because the next batter swung and missed at a 3-2 pitch above his eyes. Wow, maybe the Twins just needed worse Mets.

I couldn't watch the Twins either and turned it off. Uggh.

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,626 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

Baldelli put Vazquez in a rough spot for his debut.

I also concur with RB. The organization needs to come to the conclusion Odorizzi is not a starting pitcher. He's good for the first 60-70 pitches, and a disaster after that.
  • sloopjont likes this

#26 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

He is very good relative to the league in the first inning contrary to his disaster in Philadelphia. He doesn’t need an opener. He does need a quick hook as he gets to the 4th or 5th inning.

I think they overthought playing in the NL game. They seemed ready to pinch hit for him in the top of the 5th but it ended with Buxton. Now he is the first batter in the 6th and they were way too invested in him getting through the fifth.
  • Sconnie likes this

#27 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 188 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:00 AM

Has anyone blamed Garver yet??? 

#28 blindeke

blindeke

• 504 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

Just forget this game ever happened. That's the great thing about baseball.

• Jerr, brvama, Hosken Bombo Disco and 3 others like this

#29 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:13 AM

Has anyone blamed Garver yet???

A catcher can help here both in game calling and making sure strikes get called strikes. Game calling is difficult to evaluate, I don’t know if we missed out on any strikes in the 5th inning. There could have been a different result with a different catcher.

The Twins certainly have had a few really long innings the last two games. Catchers have a role here. I think Castro was the catcher in the bad inning last Friday. Garver is not alone.

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,259 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:23 AM

I second that!
  • blindeke and IndianaTwin like this

#31 spycake

spycake

• 16,553 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:30 AM

I think they overthought playing in the NL game. They seemed ready to pinch hit for him in the top of the 5th but it ended with Buxton. Now he is the first batter in the 6th and they were way too invested in him getting through the fifth.

They wanted to pinch hit for him in the top of 5th because there would have been a runner on base in a 1 run game. And in the 6th he would have been the leadoff batter too, another good spot to pinch hit. Not just because they wanted Odorizzi out of the game.

Remember, Odorizzi had allowed only 1 baserunner through 4 innings, on 47 pitches. Mets only had 5-6-7 due up, and if batters reached, it only meant the 8-9 spots would come up, and we knew the Mets weren't going to pinch hit for Thor either.

Seems absolutely reasonable to expect Odorizzi to get through that 5th, and if he can't get 8-9 out, pull him for the top of the lineup. We even managed to pull him before a run scored! The problem was not so much *when* we pulled Odorizzi, but *who* we brought in to replace him.
  • Mike Sixel, pbrezeasap, brvama and 4 others like this

#32 spycake

spycake

• 16,553 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

What game?

What's baseball?
  • ashbury, brvama, blindeke and 2 others like this

#33 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

They wanted to pinch hit for him in the top of 5th because there would have been a runner on base in a 1 run game. And in the 6th he would have been the leadoff batter too, another good spot to pinch hit. Not just because they wanted Odorizzi out of the game.

Remember, Odorizzi had allowed only 1 baserunner through 4 innings, on 47 pitches. Mets only had 5-6-7 due up, and if batters reached, it only meant the 8-9 spots would come up, and we knew the Mets weren't going to pinch hit for Thor either.

Seems absolutely reasonable to expect Odorizzi to get through that 5th, and if he can't get 8-9 out, pull him for the top of the lineup. We even managed to pull him before a run scored! The problem was not so much *when* we pulled Odorizzi, but *who* we brought in to replace him.

I would have thrown him out there but I would have had someone warming and a short leash. Two base runners max.

#34 spycake

spycake

• 16,553 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

I would have thrown him out there but I would have had someone warming and a short leash. Two base runners max.

3 baserunners (after a leadoff out) and the pitcher due up isn't that different.

The key is who you warm up and bring in.

Edited by spycake, 11 April 2019 - 07:53 AM.

#35 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,595 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

I don't remember who posted it but I remember research being posted on Odorizzi and the pumpkin he turns into around 70 pitches. 

When does the organization declare that Odorizzi will be a 4 inning guy max?

I don't mind him as my 5th SP. Being a #4 is stretching things. And I say this because he has shown he can usually get 5 solid IP, and sometimes more. (Finished each of the last 2 seasons strong). But I was saying all off season his best role is in the pen where you don't have to worry about a 3rd time through, and he's actually a pretty good SO pitcher until the wheels come off.

#5 SP or in the pen. The problem now is, the Twins already are a SP short, so you can't exactly move Odorizzi to the pen now.
  • rghrbek likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#36 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 350 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

6-4 is all that matters and I'll take it coming home against the first place Ron Gardenhire Tigers. Too bad another named winter storm has to get in the way in mid April. Anyway, mission accomplished so far, in my opinion.

• pbrezeasap, MN_ExPat and rdehring like this

#37 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:15 AM

weird inning. it happens. I wanted to argue that Twins pitching was getting squeezed on the zone by the ump, but at the same time...you can''t expect to get the benefit of the doubt on the edges if you cant throw strikes. and they just weren't throwing strikes.

They've got some things to figure out on the pitching side, but I think there are some options there.

• MN_ExPat and rdehring like this

#38 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Once we start rolling out Gibson, Odorizzi, and Perez three out of every five games.....I think we're going to see this team's biggest weakness is starting pitching.And they didn't add enough to the pen to compensate.

• Mike Sixel and KirbyDome89 like this

#39 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• 379 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

Before we all collectively freak out:

1.) We had a winning road trip against mostly competitive NL teams, where we couldn't use Cruz.

2.) We have a winnable homestead coming up against Detroit and Toronto; no reason we can't win 4 or 5 of those games.

3.) It's April

4.) It's not Rocco's fault that Vazquez couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, or a misjudgment to bring him in. After all, Odorizzi did walk the pitcher.

• pbrezeasap, Hosken Bombo Disco and MN_ExPat like this

#40 spycake

spycake

• 16,553 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

4.) It's not Rocco's fault that Vazquez couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, or a misjudgment to bring him in. After all, Odorizzi did walk the pitcher.

No one is arguing that Odorizzi shouldn't have been pulled.

But the manager bears some responsibility for selecting the right replacement, especially given the circumstances here with Vasquez.

• railmarshalljon and Aerodeliria like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, mitch garver