Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

So....Time to make a call to Kimbrel?

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 Coobelz

Coobelz

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

I know it’s being discussed in the game thread but figured why not give it one of its own. Prety sure there haven’t been any prior threads on this before 😂😂😂.

Seriously though...this bullpen has had some brutal innings thus far.
  • glunn, Sconnie and bighat like this

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:31 PM

Not unless he's lowered his salary and term demands significantly.
  • pbrezeasap, Danchat and Tibs like this

#3 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,220 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

The bullpen has been bad, the rotation has been worse and imminent for significant worsening.

Keuchel?
  • ChrisKnutson and bighat like this

#4 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

Keuchel has said he’s willing to sign a one year deal, why not? Yeah, we may lose a draft pick, but should that really be holding us back? If so, then should we really even consider ourselves contenders??

Besides, if we sign him, Perez stays in the pen, which I think should be enough incentive since he’s obviously better suited for that kind of role.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#5 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,707 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:07 AM

It was time a month ago. It surely is a good time immediately if not sooner.

#6 TwinsfaninPA

TwinsfaninPA

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:11 AM

Give me his number i'll call him.Hell call Keuchel as well (M Perez blows!).Offense is playing well.Let's go!!!!

#7 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:23 AM

As near as I can tell, Kimbrel would cost a 3rd round pick if the Twins received revenue sharing, a 2nd if we did not. Either seems worth it to me.  

Edited by mudcat14, 11 April 2019 - 06:24 AM.

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#8 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:53 AM

We had no problem giving up the 3rd round pick for Lance Lynn of all people

• spanman2 and David HK like this

#9 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

We had no problem giving up the 3rd round pick for Lance Lynn of all people

I doubt the 3rd round pick has much to do with it.
More likely the insane contract he's supposedly holding out for.
No other team has signed him either, that should speak volumes about his asking price.
  • Carole Keller, Seth Stohs, pbrezeasap and 3 others like this

#10 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

We are talking about the Twins here. No way do they sign anyone that is going to cost over 22 dollars.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#11 Coobelz

Coobelz

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

I doubt the 3rd round pick has much to do with it.
More likely the insane contract he's supposedly holding out for.
No other team has signed him either, that should speak volumes about his asking price.

Yeah you would think if he was willing to take a 3 year or lower deal, he would have done it by now so I completely understand the argument (same for Keuchel). Aside from those arms, I think the frustration more so lies with the fact that FO did absolutely nothing to address our biggest need.  I don't post often but concur that I too was frustrated seeing quality arms go for pennies on the dollar this offseason, and we did not partake in any way.  At this point though we are either stuck with what we got or forced to trade prospects to address the problem. 

For those that are on the sign Kimbrel bandwagon, would you give him 4 years at say 17-18M per (which may even be under what he is requesting)? 

• by jiminy and Oldgoat_MN like this

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

Expecting the Pohlads to spend money has always been foolish. They could add a solid starter and improve the bullpen but they won't. Not can't. Won't.

• Mike Sixel, by jiminy and Doomtints like this

#13 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

We are talking about the Twins here. No way do they sign anyone that is going to cost over 22 dollars.

Pohlad Pocket Protector response: "Hey we signed a guy for 30 dollars just last year!"

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

The Twins seem to prefer to just going with what they have, and then hoping for improvement. It seems they're content with finishing with around a .500 record and feel that their current roster is sufficient to meet that goal.

Odorizzi...didn't he have just a dynamite start in the second game of the season? What happened to that guy?

#15 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,077 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:09 PM

I know it’s being discussed in the game thread but figured why not give it one of its own. Prety sure there haven’t been any prior threads on this before .

Seriously though...this bullpen has had some brutal innings thus far.

If yesterday's game is the rationale for asking, I have to wonder how Kimbrel's presence on the roster would have affected that nasty fifth inning?

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

#16 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:30 PM

Why not check in on Jim Johnson or Bud Norris? Both have closed before if the situation arose where they needed to step into the role. They may have a dip in velocity but they have been around and would be able to make adjustments.

It's also not too early to think about possible trades to build up the bullpen to help us push by Cleveland. Sad part is they had all winter to improve it and did little to nothing to help us win an easy division title.

#17 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

Personally I'd love to see Kimbrel in a Twins uniform. But I think if Perez and his newfound 97 mph fastball only had to pitch 1 inning at a time I feel that he may actually be pretty dominating coming out of the pen. So I think if he is less expensive to go get Keuchel to be in the rotation and that may defacto make the bullpen a little better at the same time?
  • gil4 and jokin like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

Personally I'd love to see Kimbrel in a Twins uniform. But I think if Perez and his newfound 97 mph fastball only had to pitch 1 inning at a time I feel that he may actually be pretty dominating coming out of the pen. So I think if he is less expensive to go get Keuchel to be in the rotation and that may defacto make the bullpen a little better at the same time?

I have no interest in signing a starting pitcher that didn't have a Spring training again. Unless there is a way to legally IL him and let him have a 3 week EST and a 3 week rehab assignment.

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,036 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

I have no interest in signing a starting pitcher that didn't have a Spring training again. Unless there is a way to legally IL him and let him have a 3 week EST and a 3 week rehab assignment.

Keuchel has an option left. With 5+ years service time, we'd need his consent to use it, but it should be pretty straightforward to get him a couple minor league starts if/when he signs. The Braves optioned Ervin Santana with his consent to begin the 2014 season, to make 1 start at AAA, after he signed late (March 12, about the same point as Lance Lynn in 2018)

(As an aside, we could have done the same with Lynn, as he has 2 option years left -- although I feel like his late start was perhaps more of a convenient excuse than the primary driver of his 2018 issues.)

For players without minor league options, it would be a little trickier -- you'd need to make it a IL/rehab thing, and the league may not like that. Or you could make it a minor league contract with a verbal promise to promote him soon, like Ervin signed with the White Sox this year -- although the league might not like a ~$15 mil "minor league contract"!

#20 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:30 AM

Never fear, the bullpen will improve immediately once Perez moves into the rotation. If we are patient just a little longer we can talk about having to improve the rotation instead.

But yes, no matter how you slice it ... the pitching will be the problem this year. But hey, the 87 Twins made it with 2.5 (quite good) starters, a good closer, and a good bullpen. Stranger things have happened. (Don't get me wrong, the top teams in the league are far better now than in 87, it won't be enough to go all the way.)

Edited by Doomtints, 12 April 2019 - 09:35 AM.

• Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.