Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Andrew Vasquez to be Recalled

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,956 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:09 AM

Makes sense. Dick and Justin were talking about the need for another left-hander in the pen last night, as Mejia was struggling to throw strikes and Rogers is just one man.

The impish side of me would argue that Roger is just one man, but that Rogers could be almost any amount of men. But that's just the impish side of me. My normal personna would never stoop to such sophomoric humor! :)
  • Mike Sixel, PseudoSABR and woolywoolhouse like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#22 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

Good move. Are there people that don't know the rules didn't allow many of the other relief pitchers to be brought up this early? That's why it was DeJong.
And, I hope they use AAA like the Dodgers do, and bring people up and down as needed.

Oh the the Twins have been doing this for quite awhile now. One could argue even during the last few years of the previous regime. It it partly a by product of short starts. Also somewhat a result of short appearances by relief pitchers. Even if a relief relief pitcher is only facing a batter or two, there are only so many appearances he can make in a short time frame. The 3rd factor of course is when a reliever makes an extended appearance like deJong did, he also becomes unavailable for at least a few days.

Most organizations are genuinely trying to protect their pitchers arms, so this has to happen. It just happens a little less if you have a strong group of starters.

Edited by Jim Hahn, 10 April 2019 - 11:13 AM.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,791 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:12 AM

Oh the the Twins have been doing the Twins have been doing this for quite awhile now. One could argue even during the last few years of the previous regime. It it partly a by product of short starts. Also somewhat a result of short appearances by relief pitchers. Even if a relief relief pitcher is only facing a batter or two, there are only so many appearances he can make in a short time frame. The 3rd factor of course is when a reliever makes an extended appearance like deJong did, he also becomes unavailable for at least a few days.

Most organizations are genuinely trying to protect their pitchers arms, so this has to happen. It just happens a little less if you have a strong group of starters.

Actually, no. The Twins were loaded with RP with no options last year, and couldn't send guys up and down. It was one of my biggest issues with last year's bullpen, frankly. 

• Jham likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#24 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

Actually, no. The Twins were loaded with RP with no options last year, and couldn't send guys up and down. It was one of my biggest issues with last year's bullpen, frankly.

This is not entirely true. While some pitchers couldn't be sent down, there were was certainly a shuttle between AAA and the big leagues. There was also a constant picking up of dfa guys and then trying to shuttle them. One can argue there wasn't enough true major league depth, but there was shuttle. Duffy was was on it as well as others.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:58 PM

Also, Perez is going to the rotation, so there is one less LH pitcher in the ‘pen.

#26 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,758 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:13 PM

I think the front office saw enough last night with DeJong including numerous innings last year and in the minors.  Glad they moved him quickly. Nothing to see there.  Move along.

Glad they didn't bring up Duffy...

I was amazed they called on him in the first place, being such identifiers of pitching (as their calling card goes) and all...... seems to me it was pretty clearly identified by his other outings last year. At least his 46 pitches came in a meaningless manner for the games result.

• twinssporto likes this

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:20 PM

Why not Romero?

#28 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:41 PM

Why not Romero?

This isn't just because Chase had a bad outing. It's mostly because this bullpen needs to add a left-handers. They're short on them, even though it looks like there are three of them in the bullpen. But that's misleading....

1. Taylor Rogers is their best reliever, so he's not being used as a "left-hander" per se. He's saved for the high leverage innings, and thus not really available when they need a left-hander.

2. When Martin Perez has been used, it has been in long relief, so he's not being used in traditional left-handed situations either. Plus, he's about to rejoin the rotation starting at this next homestand, so he won't be available.

3. That leaves Mejia, who has been used a lot (and has had real troubles with his control). 

Plus, Moya is (I think?) still injured. So this was mostly about giving them another left-hander then can turn to in the middle innings. Plus, he has put up some eye-popping numbers in the minors. He struck out 108 in 69 innings last year, including 7 in 5 IP w the Twins. He's legit.  

• Han Joelo, Mike Sixel, PseudoSABR and 4 others like this

#29 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

This kills two birds with one stone. DeJong was horrible, and Mejia hasn't been steady at all.Vasquez can be Lefty 2 and Meijia can move to the "We're-up-by-10-and-just-doo-dooed-on-deGrom" role.

• pbrezeasap likes this

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,588 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

Also, Perez is going to the rotation, so there is one less LH pitcher in the ‘pen.

Yay :blush:

Time for one of the young starters to step up force their way into the MLB rotation.

#31 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,949 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

This is just good roster management.De Jong was done for 3-4 games so they get another guy who can pitch today if needed, and they can send him down tomorrow.it is smart to make the last spot of the pen a revolving door with minor leaguers;the hottest/freshest gets the job, until he falters.

• Mike Sixel, h2oface, LA VIkes Fan and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

I was amazed they called on him in the first place, being such identifiers of pitching (as their calling card goes) and all...... seems to me it was pretty clearly identified by his other outings last year. At least his 46 pitches came in a meaningless manner for the games result.

Who better would they have called up? Keep in mind it can't be someone on the 40 man roster, since it hadn't been 10 days yet.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

I'm intrigued with his fast rise through the minors and utter dominance last season. I hope he gets a long look out of the pen.

#34 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

The impish side of me would argue that Roger is just one man, but that Rogers could be almost any amount of men. But that's just the impish side of me. My normal personna would never stoop to such sophomoric humor! :)

Hall of Fame outfielder Rogers Hornsby would vehemently disagree with you.

#35 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

I'm intrigued with his fast rise through the minors and utter dominance last season. I hope he gets a long look out of the pen.

Well, after today's performance, I'll bet the fans have had a long enough look, at least for now. 

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#36 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

Well, after today's performance, I'll bet the fans have had a long enough look, at least for now. 

Pretty hard to throw the ball across when you have both hands around your neck.

Yeesh, I know pitching in New York is tough, but were there even 2500 fans left in the stadium at that point?

Pitch to win, not to avoid losing.

#37 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:56 PM

Really poor decision to put him out there with the bases loaded to make his first appearance of the season.  

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,495 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

Oh yes. I recall Vasquez for sure now...
  • Mike Sixel and Jham like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#39 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

You can check out some of the past articles about him:

Twins 2018 Minor League Relief Pitcher of the Year

http://twinsdaily.co...-the-year-r7223

Get To Know: Twins LHP Prospect Andrew Vasquez

http://twinsdaily.co...w-vasquez-r6153

Ask and yee shall receive.Thank you, SpyCake.

So, what happened last night?He couldn't get his slider working?

#40 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

Who is worse than De Jong and Vasquez so we know who they can call up next?

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.