Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Tyler Austin Traded to San Francisco

tyler austin
  • Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

Try him in the OF and see if he can platoon with Kepler, I'm guessing.......or at least PH sometimes and stay out there w/o being terrible.....

I wouldn't have minded trying him in the OF. Though even if they had, the way things are shaking out this year I wouldn't have wanted him to get too many at bats anyway. I used to be a platoon Kepler guy, I'm starting to buy into the hype and contract extension now though.

• glunn, brvama, LA VIkes Fan and 4 others like this

#22 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,715 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

I think Cave is staying unless they can put him in a package for a pitcher. We have to have a competent 4th OF with Buxton's injury issues and Cave proved himself to be worth playing for extended periods last year.Wade or one of the new AAA guys might be as good but haven't shown it yet and Gonzalez and Astudillo are converted IFs who can survive a game or two, or even a week, in the OF, but can't be an everyday OF for a month. 

To me, the interesting decision comes when Sano comes back and we now have too any IFs. Who goes - Adrianza, Astudillo or (dare I say it), a trade of Marwin G? I might vote for a Marwin trade if we could get a decent reliever back...... 

• Dman likes this

#23 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,658 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Cave has an option remaining.
  • Danchat and Original Whizzinator like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,389 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:18 PM

Try him in the OF and see if he can platoon with Kepler, I'm guessing.......or at least PH sometimes and stay out there w/o being terrible.....

Giants’ Stadium (whatever they call it) is one of the largest outfields in MLB. You HAVE to have guys that can cover ground.

I’m surprised Baltimore didn’t claim him. I wonder at what point they simply bite the Chris Davis bullet.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,111 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

Marwin and Astudillo are not OF.

Astudillo is Kirby 2.0 at CF.Routinely jumps and takes HRs away...

• glunn likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,484 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

Tyler Austin looks to me like a 1B power hitter, period. Decent glove, but the big question is, will he hit 30-plus home runs per season with an acceptable OBP? If so, then the Twins possibly blew it. CJ Cron appears to be that guy, but just older, and maybe a little slower. 

Might not matter anyway. Twins could bring up a prospect that's better than either Cron or Austin. Brent Rooker should be that, if he works his butt off at fielding first base. Or they could stand pat for now, using Astudillo to back up Cron. Whatever gets El Cherubo on the field is okay by me. 

• brvama, LA VIkes Fan and DocBauer like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#27 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 162 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

Austin is just going to park himself in a lawn chair in the outfield and leave the defense up to Dugger and Pillar.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,294 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

Marwin played more in the outfield last year than the infield, iirc.

I had forgotten that! Thanks.......I'm not in love with Marwin yet, but I'm also not out of patience to become so. 

• brvama, LA VIkes Fan and Dman like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#29 spycake

spycake

• 16,553 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

I’m surprised Baltimore didn’t claim him. I wonder at what point they simply bite the Chris Davis bullet.

Baltimore didn't have a chance to claim him, since he was traded before we had to put him on waivers.
  • brvama, Riverbrian, big dog and 1 other like this

#30 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,412 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

Don’t think Cave is going anywhere. A catcher and Adrianza are the most vulnerable, I think...but again, it could be Cave based on his option...and still good chance it’s moot if only one guy needs to DL in the next several weeks.

Doubt seriously that any major league team sees Austin as an outfielder, even a platoon OF. In 91 appearances, Austin started 3 games in the OF...that was awhile ago, with the Yankees...and they replaced him in two of those games.
  • LA VIkes Fan, howieramone2 and railmarshalljon like this

#31 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:42 PM

Austin should have a path to at bats with the Giants against lefties at 1B and pinch hitting for pitcher.
  • glunn likes this

#32 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,984 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

What was it you were hoping the Twins would do with him?

The often stated dream of Austin having the ability to play some OF. The lingering question of is Cron better than Austin. 

He didn't play a single inning of OF in spring training so I've been assuming he just can't do it. If he could play some OF he wouldn't be headed to SF right now but he didn't play any OF so... I'll let my current assumption ring. 

And of course... He is starting tonight for the Giants and starting at 1B with Brandon Belt moving to LF. 

So for now... I'll just be watching to see who produces better... Cron or Austin... trying to compare and contrast in unique situations... National League... American League. I'm not saying my watching will do any good but that has never stopped me before.:)  

• glunn, Mike Sixel, Dman and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#33 Dman

Dman

• 1,667 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for sharing.

That pre-injury 2018 line was a super small sample of course (86 PA), but a few of the underlying peripherals certainly weren't unsustainable: 12.8 BB%, 23.3 K%, .333 BABIP. He hasn't sustained anything close to that .246 ISO yet, of course.

FWIW, it looks like he had a similar cooling off in 2017, without injury. His 2017 OPS by month:

June: 1.001

July: .665 (further split into .754 first half of the month, .592 second half)

August: .539

Not that I necessarily buy that monthly splits are all that indicative of much...

Edit to add: also, this information would have been more encouraging if we had acquired him in the offseason. I don't like to appeal to authority, but I'm guessing the Giants wouldn't have traded him for Tyler Austin (to play outfield?) if Ziegler showed anything like that 2018 pre-injury line in camp this spring.

Yeah this guy kind of reminds me of Tanner English.Maybe slightly faster but all defense and no offense.He has a couple of years left to see if he can be special with the bat otherwise guys who can't hit are sort of a dime a dozen.

#34 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

The often stated dream of Austin having the ability to play some OF. The lingering question of is Cron better than Austin. 

He didn't play a single inning of OF in spring training so I've been assuming he just can't do it. If he could play some OF he wouldn't be headed to SF right now but he didn't play any OF so... I'll let my current assumption ring. 

And of course... He is starting tonight for the Giants and starting at 1B with Brandon Belt moving to LF. 

So for now... I'll just be watching to see who produces better... Cron or Austin... trying to compare and contrast in unique situations... National League... American League. I'm not saying my watching will do any good but that has never stopped me before.:)

If he gets most of his at bats against lefties I expect his numbers will look pretty good. As you are watching I would pay attention to how often he sits against right handed pitching and which of those pitchers is he missing.
  • Riverbrian and MN_ExPat like this

#35 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

Second trade with San Fran this year, might be the start of building a trade relationship for a bigger deal for Bumgarner later in the season.

• glunn likes this

#36 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,389 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

Second trade with San Fran this year, might be the start of building a trade relationship for a bigger deal for Bumgarner later in the season.

No doubt the Giants are trying to recover from the bloodbath that was the Pierzynski trade.
  • glunn, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#37 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,111 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

I'd take Will Smith off their hands too

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#38 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 564 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

Cave? I have my doubts, you need 4 OF. And Marwin and Astudillo are not OF. Can Garver play the OF?

Beyond Marwin, in the high minors we got Wade, Andreoli, Rooker, Raley, Kerrigan, Davis, Wiel, and potentially Kirilloff. IMO I believe that should be enough to deal with the potential loss of Cave. Of course, the most important part of all this, is that we’d have to actually get something of value for Cave. Trading him for a prospect doesn’t seem like the best use of a trade chip like him, so I’m in favor of pairing him with one of our better prospects for a notable relief arm like Archie Bradley of the D-Backs, who already lost Souza for the year.
  • nicksaviking, big dog, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#39 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,984 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

I hope it works out for Tyler in San Francisco... He's got to stop this severe westward movement of his career.

From New York to Minnesota to San Francisco... Next stop moving west for him will be Japan or South Korea... or the Solomon Islands. 

• jorgenswest, glunn, Kevin and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#40 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,595 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

Happy for him and hope he has finally found opportunity and a fit. Sometimes that's what it takes. Cave could be considered an example of that. To be fair and honest, it Austin does well, and so does Cron, I'm not going to shed tears. I just don't think there was a spot for Austin now, or moving forward.
  • nicksaviking, jokin, Dman and 3 others like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler austin