Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Tyler Austin Traded to San Francisco

tyler austin
  • Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#181 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,803 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

And my concern is that Cron gets injured (or ineffective) before one of those guys is ready. Now who plays 1B? Someone whose bat doesn't really play there. Which is interesting considering how you felt about Mauer's bat playing there.

So let's say they keep Austin and cut Cron. What happens if Austin gets injured (or ineffective) before one of those guys is ready?

If you think Austin is a better player than Cron in 2019, fine. But concerns over who plays first base if the one they keep can't play isn't a valid argument. The situation would be exactly the same.

BTW, Cron will be the better player in 2019.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#182 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,904 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

So let's say they keep Austin and cut Cron. What happens if Austin gets injured (or ineffective) before one of those guys is ready?

If you think Austin is a better player than Cron in 2019, fine. But concerns over who plays first base if the one they keep can't play isn't a valid argument. The situation would be exactly the same.

Right now... We have Astudillo and Marwin who can play 1B and we will be adding Sano down the line. 

It makes no sense to plug up two roster spots on 1B only players... One of them had to go. The front office did a good job creating depth and flexibility this off-season. 

As for Cron being the better player in 2019...I'd bet on that.

But only because Cron is basically guaranteed playing time where Austin might....get some...might...let's see how the Giants use him. 

BTW... Poor Tyler Austin... Gets traded and has a manager that wants to use him out of the gate. And he gets hurt during a throwing drill. Baseball can be a cruel game. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#183 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

I haven't suggested cutting Cron.
My suggestion would be to keep both, for now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler austin