Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: PHI 2, MIN 1: Kepler Stays Hot, Hoskins Pops Deciding Homer

max kepler jose berrios marwin gonzalez
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:47 AM

I know there are a lot of off-days here but we still need to rest people and give others a chance to play, if for no other reason than not to get rusty. If you're going to play your B lineup do it when Berrios is pitching. It still gives you a chance to win, as shown by today's game. We came up short but we were right there. Save your best lineup for when you've got someone else starting.

By that reasoning of the B lineup, maybe Cruz should have been in the outfield, then? Not sure how you come down on that issue of Cruz not playing in NL parks.

#22 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:49 AM

Couple of real close Berrios pitches that hit the corners but were called balls in key spots. This game was one of those coin toss situations...

It's too bad that the Twins don't have one of those pitch framing catchers to turn those close calls into strikes.
  • lukeduke1980, caninatl04 and DannySD like this

#23 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

When Hoskins hit his homerun, my first thought was: "Grab that bat and see if it's corked." That was a one-handed swing on a low and away curve. It's a shame to get beat by that.
  • Dman likes this

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,994 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

So we're 5-3. A lot of folks will say, "meh". Well, going 5-3 every 8 games allows you to meh your way to a 100-win season.

meh.

• James and Nine of twelve like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 JLease

JLease

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

Eflin was helped a lot today by Twins swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. There was one Adrianza at bat where Elfin threw him 8 straight balls. He could have walked twice! I laughed when Adrianza singled at the end of the at bat.

Considering how often the ump was giving Eflin K's 2-4 inches off the plate, I can't exactly blame any of the Twins for swinging more at stuff inside and outside the plate. Justin Morneau was getting so annoyed those strike calls that even Dick Bremer noticed, and Dick usually doesn't comment on umpiring.

#26 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

It's too bad that the Twins don't have one of those pitch framing catchers to turn those close calls into strikes.

From yesterday. Looks pretty good to me.
47chart

• jorgenswest, Mike Sixel and Tibs like this

#27 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

Agree that there was a B lineup out there. It’s something I would expect to see if the team was playing 20 games ina row, but Monday is an off day. No excuse for not putting out the best lineup. Baldelli’s “fairness” makes it feel like he’s coaching little league. 44% of the lineup had averages below the Mendoza line.

#28 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:56 AM

He’s been battling shoulder issues all spring. It’s pretty likely IMO that he will need to be rested more than would be typical for a starting shortstop.

Polanco actually pinch hit and played an inning of shortstop anyway, and presumably he participated in all of the usual pregame activity, so I'm not sure how much rest he really got.

Nothing near the rest he'll automatically get today and Thursday (off days).

#29 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

(Whispers)

It was definitely sarcasm

#30 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

47chart

Tom:

As people were complaining about the Mets pitchers getting strikes called outside the zone it would be interesting to see that chart.Can you post that one as well?

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#31 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:32 AM

I'd say pretty similar both ways. Some obvious balls called strikes both ways, but they're in the same areas, so I guess at least the missed calls were for the most part consistent. 
PHI47

#32 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:00 AM

I'd say pretty similar both ways. Some obvious balls called strikes both ways, but they're in the same areas, so I guess at least the missed calls were for the most part consistent.

I look at that and interpret it very differently. There were 5 pitches on or in the box called balls for the Twins compared with 2 for the Phillies. In two instances the Twins did NOT get a call at the bottom of the zone that the Phillies’ pitcher got TWICE.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,164 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

I look at that and interpret it very differently. There were 5 pitches on or in the box called balls for the Twins compared with 2 for the Phillies. In two instances the Twins did NOT get a call at the bottom of the zone that the Phillies’ pitcher got TWICE.

The Twins had A LOT more pitches on the line.....so the fact that more were missed is not a surprise to me.

• jorgenswest likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

The Twins had A LOT more pitches on the line.....so the fact that more were missed is not a surprise to me.

The problem, of course, is that is where successful pitchers live. Frankly, at this point in his career, Berrios has earned borderline calls. He was an all star last year. Of course, not all of those calls were necesarily for/against Berrios. That’s a graph for all Twins’ pitchers if I interpret correctly.

#35 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

The problem, of course, is that is where successful pitchers live. Frankly, at this point in his career, Berrios has earned borderline calls. He was an all star last year. Of course, not all of those calls were necesarily for/against Berrios. That’s a graph for all Twins’ pitchers if I interpret correctly.

Nobody should have to earn a correct call. Automated pitch calling is currently at or above the level of humans and will improve. It's time to take action to install that.

• Mike Sixel and 70charger like this

#36 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

Nobody should have to earn a correct call. Automated pitch calling is currently at or above the level of humans and will improve. It's time to take action to install that.

Personally, I don't mind the imperfections of human umpires, but I'm starting to endorse robo-umps, in the hopes that it would reduce the "we wuz robbed!" fan commentary.

• Mike Sixel, 70charger, Tom Froemming and 1 other like this

#37 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

My only gripe was letting Castro hit in the 7th with one out and Good bats on the bench.Castro should never play past the 6th inning.

#38 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

I don't know, it kind of looks like he stole two maybe three strikes and had five maybe four strikes called balls.

#39 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

I don't know, it kind of looks like he stole two maybe three strikes and had five maybe four strikes called balls.

One thing that's worth keeping in mind, and is probably the reason we don't have an electronic strike zone right now, is that not every batter has the exact same zone. There's a six-inch height difference between Rhys Hoskins and Jean Segura, for example. So, while I enjoy looking at this stuff and try to pass along the data whenever balls and strikes are brought up, it's not the gospel. 

As long as there aren't an alarming number of pitches in the zone called balls, as we saw in some of Mitch Garver's games last season (but not so far this year), I think it's pretty difficult to get worked up either way. But, you're never ever going to get every call on the black, I think you're generally lucky to go 50/50 on those pitches, from what I have observed.

When I look at the Twins chart, I see four balls that were called strikes against only one strike that was called a ball.

• spycake likes this

#40 wallyrichards

wallyrichards

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

They may want to check Hoskins bat for cork. The game winning home run looked llike it was playable when it left his bat but it kept going and going and going. These guys have to give Barrious a little more support when he goes out and pitches a good game like that. We need a little more than one run. 

• Riverbrian likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler, jose berrios, marwin gonzalez