Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/6): And on the Third Day, There Was Baseball

cole sands devin smeltzer jimmy kerrigan brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,610 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

Hope Thorpe is healthy. Wasn’t good in very brief spring training look. Now this.

No, Thorpe wasn't sharp in Spring Training in any of the games I saw him pitch. He'd have a good inning and get hit around the next. Not what we had hoped for out of him.

Edited by Halsey Hall, 07 April 2019 - 09:59 AM.

he gone!

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

I had to pull up the Miracle box score to confirm that the team stranded 20 runners. The Miracle stranded eight runners. The total number of runners stranded by all the batters was 20. Big difference.

Yup... very different!

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

Good report, but I am in a fog of confusion - Not Littell, but DeJong?The result is Austin is DFA'd.The team is left with a bullpen game and in the bullpen is Fernando Romero who might have given them a good start, but we are intent on taking a good starting pitcher, messing with him and forcing him to the pen.  

I've heard a variety of things... I do know that Littell was told he was coming up. Good thing they were in Lehigh Valley, which is only about an hour from Philly. 

One possibility... players optioned can't be called up for 10 days, unless there was an injury. Saturday was the 9th day of the season, so that could be it.(though Littell was optioned quite a bit before Opening Day). 

I'm sure it was some technicality. I don't think that the front office wanted to DFA Austin this early. 

• Danchat likes this

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:14 AM

What a great day for two starting pitchers, Sands and Smeltzer.That Dozier trade is starting to look like a steal as Raley also looked good in ST.

I may have missed it, but does anyone know why Javier is in EST?I know he got removed from a Twins early ST game with an injury.But I believed he played in a couple of their last games of the spring.Is it a precaution?Or are they letting him miss the cold games in Cedar Rapids?

#25 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

Told you Thorpe didn’t look good at all in ST. Most overrated prospect in this org.
  • milldam likes this

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

What a great day for two starting pitchers, Sands and Smeltzer.That Dozier trade is starting to look like a steal as Raley also looked good in ST.

I may have missed it, but does anyone know why Javier is in EST?I know he got removed from a Twins early ST game with an injury.But I believed he played in a couple of their last games of the spring.Is it a precaution?Or are they letting him miss the cold games in Cedar Rapids?

I think it's just precautionary with Javier. He won't be in EST long. 

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

Told you Thorpe didn’t look good at all in ST. Most overrated prospect in this org.

I will respectfully disagree... He also found out in the morning that he was going to start yesterday instead of a couple of days later... Nothing to see here. 

• Steve Lein, James and MN_ExPat like this

#28 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

Cole Sands...Florida State product.

Seems like there's been a dearth of FSU players to suit up for the Twins over the years. Sort of a trivia question for you all...who has been the most notable FSU alum to play for the Twins?? (And no, it's not Sugar Shane Robinson or Paul Sorrento!)

Doug Mientkiewicz?
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#29 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Agree to disagree. Spring Training is just that... Spring Training. His results thus far in his professional career would argue a different story.

He had a poor start, he'll be fine.

• James likes this

#30 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

Can we take a moment to collectively vent about how GOD AWFUL the new MiLB First Pitch App is!?? They absolutely ruined it.

#31 nater79a

nater79a

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:02 PM

Doug Mientkiewicz?

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner.

#32 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

First minor league report of the season for me, wonder what I did to allow Seth and Tom to trust me like this.

In other news, I might need a new picture for my profile here...

What incriminating photos of them do you have? ;)

Good job! Will look forward to more write ups.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cole sands, devin smeltzer, jimmy kerrigan, brent rooker