Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 6, PHI 2: Twins Find Power Stroke, Slug 3 Homers in Victory

eddie rosario willians astudillo max kepler byron buxton michael pineda
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:03 PM

So then what did today’s game show us?

That Pineda might be a good pickup? That Willians Astudillo is better than Bryce Harper? That Allen Iverson throws a baseball better than I thought he could?(still pretty bad though) That Buxton is really fast and needs to get on base more?  That the umpiring was better than the refereeing in the Final Four ?(how was that double dribble not called?)  Mostly what today's game showed us is that the Twins played better than the Phillies today.  Hopefully tomorrow will show a similar result.

• glunn, Jerr and Riverbrian like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#22 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:19 PM

Interesting to hear Rocco credit Shelton for the double-switch that gave Rosie a chance to bat in the 9th. Sounds like Shelton's been earning his money so far this year in the early goings. Cool to see Baldelli give credit where it was due also.

• glunn, Dantes929, jokin and 6 others like this

#23 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:27 PM

Explains why it was so easy getting a front-pew seat at church, and also why they skipped the sermon.

In most churches I’ve been to, getting a front-row pew hasn’t been hard. Unless I’m late and that’s all that’s left.
  • glunn and Danchat like this

#24 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,574 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:08 PM

That the umpiring was better than the refereeing in the Final Four ?(how was that double dribble not called?)   

2xya1e.jpg

• Dantes929 likes this

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#25 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,104 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:31 PM

Hey, if Mejia was starting every five days, 91 pitches doesn't look that bad. Kind of a lot for a bullpen guy, tho...

• Original Whizzinator likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:34 PM

Absolutely agree with Twodogs on the lineup and this team getting contributions from all over, and not relying on a single player, or two. This lineup has a chance to be deep and dangerous with a quality bench. Kepler and Rosario coming alive after such profound cold streaks, (sarcasm!) They won today and fought back Friday without Cruz. A clunker of a second start by Odorizzi after a great first one and the pen has been very effective thus far. Early? Yep. But I am encouraged. Let's just please not burn out Mejia before the break.
  • glunn, bighat and Original Whizzinator like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

La Tortu-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-g-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a!!!!

A perfect superhero to win a long pennant race!

He needs to play everyday.

I totally respect the front office forward thinking....but don't overthink this one.

• glunn likes this

#28 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,219 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

Twins are winning the division this year. You heard it here first.

Unless it doesn't happen. Then I heard it from Seth first.

• ashbury, glunn and bighat like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#29 wallyrichards

wallyrichards

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:37 PM

Sweet!!!! Got to like the way this team is playing. 

• glunn likes this

#30 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:15 AM

Said a couple times to my wife that very thing. They look like they're having fun, and they look confident. Never had that look last year.

Last year...

Or any of the past 8 years

• Circus Boy and caninatl04 like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#31 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:19 AM

That the umpiring was better than the refereeing in the Final Four ?(how was that double dribble not called?)   

Missed the double dribble, but refs also made two inaccurate foul calls on Jerome, forcing him to the bench, that allowed Auburn back into the game.

As officiating/reffing goes.... These things tend to even out.

• Jerr likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#32 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:28 AM

Absolutely agree with Twodogs on the lineup and this team getting contributions from all over, and not relying on a single player, or two. This lineup has a chance to be deep and dangerous with a quality bench. Kepler and Rosario coming alive after such profound cold streaks, (sarcasm!) They won today and fought back Friday without Cruz. A clunker of a second start by Odorizzi after a great first one and the pen has been very effective thus far. Early? Yep. But I am encouraged. Let's just please not burn out Mejia before the break.

Pitching situation dictated hitting the panic button. Mejia was apparently eager and ready to answer the call. Looks like he could be a real work horse out there, hopefully, he's well past his injury bugaboo from last year.

Back to panic buttons, I have to think there might have been another way to bring up pitching help without DFAing Tyler Austin. IL list, demoting another player/pitcher, etc. IE-> Surely, Garver has an option left? I also would have rolled with and relied on Berrios, giving him the ball and telling him we need 7+ (or more) innings on Sunday- the emerging team ace is up for that kind of challenge.

Cruz is (apparently) already sitting out the next 3 NL games. Plus, Austin is/was a great piece of insurance against something catastrophic happening to Cruz/Cron down the road. (Astudillo is not a very legit option at 1st).

Edited by jokin, 07 April 2019 - 01:37 AM.

• DocBauer likes this

#33 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:37 AM

You can't have everything. I think we need to get over it on Austin. That 40 man spot will come in handy hopefully. Plus Austin is pretty one dimensional while Cron appears to be a ballplayer.
  • BJames and The Mask of Zoilo like this

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:20 AM

You can't have everything. I think we need to get over it on Austin. That 40 man spot will come in handy hopefully. Plus Austin is pretty one dimensional while Cron appears to be a ballplayer.

That 40 man spot already went to DeJong.

#35 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:45 AM

I think Arrieta served up the homer to Max because he was irritated that Buxton scored.

And then Willians hit a pitch at his eyeballs 15 rows deep.

The double play from Buxton to Willians was a thing of beauty all the way around.

Those two guys are quickly becoming “must see TV” on both sides of the ball.

My only problem with this game was that Pineda got charged with a run after exiting with a man on first base, doubling his ERA from 1 to 2. Such a dumb system. I think that inherited runs scored should be divvied proprionally to the exiting and incoming pitchers, .25 to the exiting pitcher / .75 to the incoming pitcher for a runner on first, .50 to a runner on second, etc. Thus Pineda should have a 1.25ERA, not 2.
  • Dantes929, Monkeypaws, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#36 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:10 AM

That 40 man spot already went to DeJong.

I meant that the 40 man spot could be used for relief pitchers as needed throughout the season. Dejong is the first of what I hope will be many.

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,293 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:13 AM

Back to panic buttons, I have to think there might have been another way to bring up pitching help without DFAing Tyler Austin. IL list, demoting another player/pitcher, etc. IE-> Surely, Garver has an option left?

They needed both a 25-man AND a 40-man spot to add a guy for Saturday's game.

They could have made an extra move, I suppose: option someone (I'd pick Harper before Garver), DFA someone already in the minors (Duffey?), then add De Jong.

#38 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,293 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:25 AM

I meant that the 40 man spot could be used for relief pitchers as needed throughout the season. Dejong is the first of what I hope will be many.

It's handy to have a "flex spot" on the 40-man, but hopefully they don't have to use it many times -- that would mean both the MLB club is desperate and the 40-man players in the minors are all hurt or performing poorly...

#39 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:58 AM

Whenever Astudillo gets into the on deck circle, I'm absolutely glued to the TV/laptop to watch his at bats. You're right it's absolutely "must see" at this point. Hope they find a way to get him into the lineup today. If I was guessing, Marwin will be back in the lineup today and Castro starts at catcher.

Maybe Rocco gives Schoop the day off, and moves Marwin to 2nd? A-Stud starts at 3rd?

• Jerr likes this

#40 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

Also hoping they can find a way to get Cruz into the game today. Pinch hit, RF, whatever.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, willians astudillo, max kepler, byron buxton, michael pineda