Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Roster revamp?

3 catchers 1b-dh options 12 pitchers
  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,128 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

The first roster move occurred today with Tyler Austin being DFAed today. Most of us were happy with keeping Austin and also keeping three catchers. I think reality in 2019 is that a team can't have three catchers and three first basemen/DHs for the long term. the Opening Day roster choices also pivoted around Austin being out of options, and now likely lost to the organization. 

Before today's game, I was thinking that they will eventually have to do something with the catcher position. Of course, injury could solve the problem or perhaps Willians Astudillo could turn into a pumpkin. If the season proceeds with Castro, Garver and Astudillo being viable options and splitting time, then something should probably be done. Who should go? Astudillo and Garver have options, Castro is a veteran on the last year of his contract. 

If the Twins have something in Astudillo, I think Garver is the odd man out. He is OK as a catcher and he's a good hitter for a catcher, but he isn't going to take that many at-bats from Castro and Astudillo needs to play, if he continues to hit as he has so far. 

Astudillo could play elsewhere, of course, as he has played a lot of positions for the Twins, and Garver has some first base time, but trying to get three catchers enough time is no easy task.

As I said, injuries or lack of production would solve this problem, if it termed a problem. I guess time will tell.

• ashbury, glunn, Thrylos and 4 others like this

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,285 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

Ever since the Willingham/Doumit era, this team's roster has had hardening of the arteries where it came to bat-first guys. No roster flexibility, just players signed to play a corner position (or poorly at an up-the-middle position) with a side comment "and if nothing else he can DH". It seemed to me, after a while, that it came from a lazy point of view, since that kind of player is always one of the most easily available. Cruz in that regard is somewhat of a refreshing experience, as he was signed with no pretense toward being a position player - the bat has to be perceived as really, really good to make that work.

As for catcher, in this era of 13-man pitching staffs you just can't have 3 of them anymore. Either Astudillo has to be so valuable at other positions that you can keep him in a genuine utility role, or you choose between him and Garver for Rochester, or you work an emergency trade to get Castro off the books for as much salary relief as you can negotiate with some other team. I am guessing the higher-ups turn thumbs down on any Castro trade FalVine can come up with, as it won't likely cover 100% of the salary. And Astudillo as utility guy is half-assing it in my book, since it only means "third base, maybe left field once a month if you have to, and first base which is easy to cover".

Mid-game at this writing, Astudillo's BA has slipped to only .538, so he might be the first to go. :)

• glunn, jimbo92107, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,978 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

I've always felt they would have to choose between Astudillo and Garver. 

One will have to report to Rochester. I know whose name I would put on the plane ticket. 

• glunn and jimbo92107 like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,273 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

Astrudillo's fexibility may save him... I could see Adrianza still DFAd, especially when Sano comes back.

• glunn, Sssuperdave, Lunger and 5 others like this

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

I know Castro is a great defensive catcher, but watching him hit makes me want to watch paint dry.

Him.Please.

• zenser, Halsey Hall, Otwins and 8 others like this

#6 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

I'm surprised we are talking about Astudillo "turning into a pumpkin" with Castro sitting right there. Castro might not have a hit for the rest of his baseball career. The Twins should drop him down to 1 game per rotation.

Edited by Doomtints, 06 April 2019 - 03:13 PM.

• Sam Morley and DannySD like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#7 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

I know Castro is a great defensive catcher, but watching him hit makes me want to watch paint dry.

Him.Please.

He's a terrible defensive catcher. He's a finesse catcher.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#8 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 138 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

He's a terrible defensive catcher. He's a finesse catcher.

I would tend to agree with this description of Castro. Or at least he seems below average. He doesn't block pitches well. He seems stiff back there. His arm is probably average but his release seems slow. His throw out % seem to reflect that. His framing is overrated. Pitchers seem to like pitching to him, which is very important. Unfortunately his offense appears to be declining as well.

If one of the catchers needs to go, I would prefer it to be Castro.
  • mikelink45, Dman, Doomtints and 5 others like this

#9 Dman

Dman

• 1,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

Astrudillo's fexibility may save him... I could see Adrianza still DFAd, especially when Sano comes back.

I am nota huge Adrianza fan but he had a really good spring and I trust him at 2nd, 3rd and SS more than Marwin at this point.I would hate to see him go at this point.But your point is valid.Once Sano comes back he and Marwin are a bit redundant and they have Torreyes at AAA so technically a replacement player if needed.I guess we will find out soon enough.

• diehardtwinsfan and Doctor Wu like this

#10 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 386 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

I've always felt they would have to choose between Astudillo and Garver.

One will have to report to Rochester. I know whose name I would put on the plane ticket.

Im not sure you are right about that....The flexibility of Marwin, and the turtle makes it even easier to carry three catchers. Its gonna be aight. I doubt they are considering life without any of them. I predict Sano goes back to Rochester when he comes back. And not on a rehab assignment either.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#11 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,120 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

Problems like this always sort themselves out. I'd rather have an "extra" at every position than be one short. 2 of the 3 have options. It might not be a popular clubhouse move, but those options will be used.

Part of the modern MLB 25-man roster is that it's really at least 30 deep with a constant rotation of bench options, extra arms, and injury replacements.

This isn't a Morneau vs. Mient...Dougie situation where it's league-average vs. all-star. Play the hot hand, balanced with defensive needs (since we're talking C). A year ago we were giving Bobby Wilson 3-4 starts each week. Be thankful and be patient.

• Brock Beauchamp, scottz, Sssuperdave and 7 others like this

#12 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 386 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:40 PM

Problems like this always sort themselves out. I'd rather have an "extra" at every position than be one short. 2 of the 3 have options. It might not be a popular clubhouse move, but those options will be used.

Part of the modern MLB 25-man roster is that it's really at least 30 deep with a constant rotation of bench options, extra arms, and injury replacements.

This isn't a Morneau vs. Mient...Dougie situation where it's league-average vs. all-star. Play the hot hand, balanced with defensive needs (since we're talking C). A year ago we were giving Bobby Wilson 3-4 starts each week. Be thankful and be patient.

Bobby Wilson OMG! Thanks for reminding me. last year the Falvines did everything wrong. I dont know who they have been talking to(Tom Kelly, Andy McPhail, maybe Ralph Houk?) but this year its A-Ok👍
  • Shaitan likes this

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

I’d dump Castro and keep Garver and Astudillo if push cane to shove. Both play other positions and both have much, much better bats.

Glove only catchers are DFA’d weekly, if for some reason one is needed they can grab one off of waivers any time.
  • Mike Sixel, darin617, TheLeviathan and 7 others like this

#14 Linus

Linus

• 2,248 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:56 PM

Austudillo is the best hitter of the three and he is better behind the plate than Garvey. In fact I think he is more athletic than Castro and is his equal with the glove
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#15 blindeke

blindeke

• 504 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

Bobby Wilson OMG! Thanks for reminding me. last year the Falvines did everything wrong. I dont know who they have been talking to(Tom Kelly, Andy McPhail, maybe Ralph Houk?) but this year its A-Ok

Don't forget about Corky Miller!

• Doctor Wu likes this

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,285 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:38 PM

I’d dump Castro

Depends on what you mean by "dump". Would you hold out for a trade where the new team absorbed the remainder of his $8M contract, regardless of the return of players? (Similarly, you could DFA and put him on waivers, and see if someone takes him off your hands.) Or, are you willing to eat some of the remaining contract? Or, even just release him and leave his money on the books?

Not to overplay the Pohlads Are Teh Cheap theme, but remember who's signing the checks. You may burn up some goodwill with your bosses, depending on your choice.

My own view is that it's too soon to cut ties, at that cost, and also that no other team will take his contract. So now what?

• glunn and Platoon like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#17 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,259 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

Still very early I get that, but Cron is looking good. That mitigates the loss of Austin (which seemed inevitable at some point).
  • luckylager, Lunger, LA VIkes Fan and 2 others like this

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,978 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

I predict Sano goes back to Rochester when he comes back. And not on a rehab assignment either.

About 77 days in AAA should do the trick.:)

• Channing1964 likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#19 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 564 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

I wonder if Oakland would have interest in Castro, since Hundley isn’t looking that good and could form a platoon with the right handed hitting Phegley.
  • glunn and Einheri like this

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 4,945 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

Does Castro have trade value? I’d think you could get a reasonable pitching prospect for him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3 catchers, 1b-dh, options, 12 pitchers