Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Seth's Preseason Top 20 Minnesota Twins Pitching Prospects

brusdar graterol jhoan duran lewis thorpe blayne enlow jordan balazoivc
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

Sure, but he's not starting in AAA, he's relieving.
That tells me he's been converted to reliever because that's what the FO has decided he is, not as some short term sacrifice to help the big club compete, as I interpreted Seth to be saying.

My guess is that you're right, a decision has been made, at least for 2019. Either way, he's not going to help the big club compete even as a low leverage reliever until he gets fixed. His appearance yesterday was mildly promising.

#42 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

Sure, but he's not starting in AAA, he's relieving.
That tells me he's been converted to reliever because that's what the FO has decided he is, not as some short term sacrifice to help the big club compete, as I interpreted Seth to be saying.

I tend to agree with this. As far as the Twins are concerned, Romero's a reliever. I suppose things could change in the long-term if he were to start showing command/efficiency, including a quality 3rd pitch.

The signs that he would be challenged starting in the majors have been there for some time. Was never an innings-eater or particularly efficient. Tended to fade late in seasons...K-rate took significant hits as he faced better batters in AA/AAA. A lot of us were probably mesmerized by low-level results and MPH...especially the MPH, since it's something the system had lacked forever. Still probably true that if he develops major-league command...even with just the two pitches...he's a good back-end guy. Without the command...well, that's what he is right now.

#43 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,075 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:46 PM

In hindsight, did it make sense for the Twins to trade their best bullpen arm, Ryan Pressly, for the 8th best pitching prospect in Jorge Alcala?

Pressly was not the Twins top pen arm.He had 3.40 ERA and 1.364 WHIP.The inability to turn Pressly into what Houston did with him, cost the pitching coach and the bullpen coach their jobs.

• Mike Sixel and jokin like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#44 gagu

gagu

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLimache, Chile

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

I really enjoy and appreciate the prospect articles, Seth. I do have one quibble; Please list each player's age along with the ranking and just generally, especially at the beginning of a new season. Thanks.

• railmarshalljon likes this

#45 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

I think ranking Colina as a potential major league power starter is more hope than projection. Beware the 6-0 (ish) power starter...they usually make good relievers, and we got a lot of them: Colina, Romero, Graterol.

#46 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:19 PM

Pressly was not the Twins top pen arm.He had 3.40 ERA and 1.364 WHIP.The inability to turn Pressly into what Houston did with him, cost the pitching coach and the bullpen coach their jobs.

As it should have. And one amongst multiple pitching developmental failures.

Which is why I still give the managing duo the benefit of the doubt. The country club days are over. Players and coaches are much more accountable, and problems more quickly dealt with via intervention/demotion/dismissal. All good.

• Thrylos likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brusdar graterol, jhoan duran, lewis thorpe, blayne enlow, jordan balazoivc