Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Seth's Preseason Top 20 Minnesota Twins Pitching Prospects

brusdar graterol jhoan duran lewis thorpe blayne enlow jordan balazoivc
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,013 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

I am just baffled at how Romero has gone from our Top starting pitching prospect last year, to a call-up that had a scoreless inning streak that was over 18 innings, encountered some tougher games later, was demoted, ran down a bit towards the end of the year, and is no longer a starter in 2019.Moreover, he has clearly been thrust into a reliever role that he has never been in during his minor league career, and is an afterthought behind Littell, Gonsalves, and even Stewart (who pitched better than the previous two) only 1/2 later.What could they have possibly seen to change their opinion of Romero, while still holding the other 3 as better long-term starters.If it is diversity of pitches, I'm sorry, but simply having a few more pitches that are woefully ineffective just does not project as a better starter.Moreover, the Twins don't do a great job utilizing young relievers, as they would rather recycle old retreads versus promote younger pitchers.How does anyone validate what the twins are doing with Romero - I just don't get it.

I'm not sure their opinion changed....but maybe it did. But plenty of sites have had him ranked as a likely RP all along....

• birdwatcher, CUtomorrownight, gagu and 2 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:15 PM

Poppen is 25 years old, has 3 average maybe above average pitches, FB tops at 90-91, just had a half season in AA with 4.30 FIP and 13.3 K-BB%. His ceiling is Aaron Slegers, but not quite that good (yet.)

Not accurate on the velo. I’ve personally seen Poppen hit 96 and he sits 92-93. But fair enough on the other points. However Alcala is almost 24 had a FIP of 6.02 in AA albeit only 20 innings but much better in Houston with 3.35 in 40 ip

Edited by 108Stitches, 05 April 2019 - 01:22 PM.

• birdwatcher and MN_ExPat like this

#23 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

I'm not sure their opinion changed....but maybe it did. But plenty of sites have had him ranked as a likely RP all along....

I know about the sites that projected him as a relief pitcher in past years.However, after 3 (2 very) quality starts last year, and a few clunkers as a rookie - they are throwing in the towel this year as a SP?!?For potentially Gonsalves, Littell, or Thorpe (I think Stewart will be solid this year)?On what MLB basis would that judgment be made?I witnessed ALL of his starts, and those of the other rookies, and he was MILES ahead of them in terms of stuff, pitchability, stamina, etc.Makes ZERO sense at this stage.May is the closer type that Romero MIGHT be.Romero should be a great complement to Berrios - and he had a much more inglorious set of starts than Romero in his rookie year (ERA around 8).I am not sold on our pitching decisions/projections AT ALL.

• Mike Sixel and mikelink45 like this

#24 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

Really looking forward to seeing Colina and Alcala in the pen next year.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,090 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

I know about the sites that projected him as a relief pitcher in past years.However, after 3 (2 very) quality starts last year, and a few clunkers as a rookie - they are throwing in the towel this year as a SP?!?For potentially Gonsalves, Littell, or Thorpe (I think Stewart will be solid this year)?On what MLB basis would that judgment be made?I witnessed ALL of his starts, and those of the other rookies, and he was MILES ahead of them in terms of stuff, pitchability, stamina, etc.Makes ZERO sense at this stage.May is the closer type that Romero MIGHT be.Romero should be a great complement to Berrios - and he had a much more inglorious set of starts than Romero in his rookie year (ERA around 8).I am not sold on our pitching decisions/projections AT ALL.

He is what I think is going on with Romero:

2017 was the first season he pitched more than 100 innings (125), in 2018 he pitched about 145.His command of both the fastball and the slider has decreased in both seasons.He was at about 20 K-BB% in 2016, dropped down to about 14 in 2017 and about 10 in 2018.That was behind Berrios (18), Odorrizzi (13) and Gibson (12) last season.It is 5th starter territory.  Since he has much higher ceiling the Twins are giving him an opportunity to improve his command (and his changeup that is still about average at best) in shorter outings in AAA this season.He can be a starter next season.Lots of players moved from relievers to starters.Sales and Clevinger are a couple of examples...

• gagu, MN_ExPat, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,569 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:09 PM

Correct... that was always a question... could he develop the changeup? And, now that the TWins feel like they can compete this year - coupled with the inability to add that third pitch - they see how valuable he can be using two really, really good pitches out of the bullpen.

• MN_ExPat and DannySD like this

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

Correct... that was always a question... could he develop the changeup? And, now that the TWins feel like they can compete this year - coupled with the inability to add that third pitch - they see how valuable he can be using two really, really good pitches out of the bullpen.

How does he help them compete from Rochester?

#28 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

no mention of Jake Reed. Why can't this guy get any love?He had the best year of all Twins relievers and didn't get a September call up, now this. 

• 108Stitches likes this

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,569 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:41 PM

They call him up?

• gagu likes this

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,569 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

no mention of Jake Reed. Why can't this guy get any love?He had the best year of all Twins relievers and didn't get a September call up, now this. 

Jake Reed has received a lot of love on Twins Daily over the last 4-5 years. Not sure he fits into the Top Prospect classification, but that doesn't mean he can't and/or shouldn't be given an opportunity. He certainly should have been called up last September. Inexplicable to me that he wasn't. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

They call him up?

Every game counts. The games now count the same as the ones after his theoretical call up.

I guess I was under the impression that you were theorizing that they moved him to the bullpen to help them compete. The fact that he's in the Rochester bullpen suggests to me the move is more about his development than it is to help the big club compete.

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,569 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

Every game counts. The games now count the same as the ones after his theoretical call up.

I guess I was under the impression that you were theorizing that they moved him to the bullpen to help them compete. The fact that he's in the Rochester bullpen suggests to me the move is more about his development than it is to help the big club compete.

I mean, when he's deemed ready. Whether that is today or in a month or in two months. Most think he was a lead candidate for a bullpen spot in spring. He didn't earn one. He goes to Rochester, keeps working, and hopefully soon he is up and contributing late in games. 

• railmarshalljon likes this

#33 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:17 PM

Yeah I don't think anyone thought he would flame out in the spring like that they planned on him helping from the start.

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:18 AM

Well I guess I'm hopeful that they aren't making important decisions based off a few spring training innings.

#35 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:25 AM

What’s up with Tyler Wells? I see he’s starting the year on the DL. What happened?

#36 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

I would imagine the field staff was asking how long will he take to get his act together and become useful. He looked pretty lost there at the end of spring training. I'm guessing they had enough bullpen sessions to assess him and sent him to Rochester to correct a thing or two.

Edited by birdwatcher, 06 April 2019 - 07:49 AM.

#37 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:28 AM

I would imagine the field staff was asking how long will he take to get his act together and become useful. He looked pretty lost there at the end of spring training. I'm guessing they had enough bullpen sessions to assess him and sent him to Rochester to correct a thing or two.

Sure, but he's not starting in AAA, he's relieving.
That tells me he's been converted to reliever because that's what the FO has decided he is, not as some short term sacrifice to help the big club compete, as I interpreted Seth to be saying.
  • Crackedfungo likes this

#38 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

Jake Reed has received a lot of love on Twins Daily over the last 4-5 years. Not sure he fits into the Top Prospect classification, but that doesn't mean he can't and/or shouldn't be given an opportunity. He certainly should have been called up last September. Inexplicable to me that he wasn't. 

That callup logic is sure gonna change, is it this September or next?Only being able to call up two guys is a huge mistake in my opinion.I understand not having all 40-guys on the bench, but there should be more than 28.  

#39 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:25 AM

What’s up with Tyler Wells? I see he’s starting the year on the DL. What happened?

just a few weeks behind due to strain in the beginning if ST. Will be back in a couple weeks from what I gathered

#40 TPetter

TPetter

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

In hindsight, did it make sense for the Twins to trade their best bullpen arm, Ryan Pressly, for the 8th best pitching prospect in Jorge Alcala?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brusdar graterol, jhoan duran, lewis thorpe, blayne enlow, jordan balazoivc