Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Seth's Preseason Top 20 Minnesota Twins Position Player Prospects

royce lewis alex kirilloff wander javier trevor larnach brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,588 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:40 PM

I just don't understand the high marks given Travis Blankenhorn.We the fans keep hearing about his potential. But the stats don't bare any of that out. He's had 4 years in the organization and has yet to have a breakout season. He strikes out a ton. Doesn't hit for average, has a little-not a lot of pop and average speed. I hope this is the year that he puts it all together. But I don't see where he merits a #18 ranking.

Seth and I traded a couple posts about Blenkenhorn as well the past couple of days. Remember, this is position players, not a top 40 list. When you factor in pitching prospects, he is not #18, but somewhere in the 30 range probably. Color me disappointed in Blenkenhorn and even more so in Cabbage, both great athletes with vast potential who have yet to distinguish themselves. Just focusing on Blenkenhorn, if you look only at his numbers you would be disappointed for sure. If you look at numbers, read scouting reports, and follow the ebbs and flows of his career close enough, you would see peeks and valleys where he has hit very well with bursts of power and potential and production. You would see attributes of decent speed and smart play. You would see the ability to field at 2B, 3B, and OF. But no question the lack of consistency is disappointing.

I am about ready to give up on Cabbage at this point. But still 22 until August, I remain hopeful for Blackenhorn. The tools are there. I will not say 2019 is a make or break season for him. But with all his talent, 3 1/2 years in, I feel it's his year to begin to find consistency and shine.
  • IaFan1 likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#62 Dman

Dman

• 1,663 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Seth and I traded a couple posts about Blenkenhorn as well the past couple of days. Remember, this is position players, not a top 40 list. When you factor in pitching prospects, he is not #18, but somewhere in the 30 range probably. Color me disappointed in Blenkenhorn and even more so in Cabbage, both great athletes with vast potential who have yet to distinguish themselves. Just focusing on Blenkenhorn, if you look only at his numbers you would be disappointed for sure. If you look at numbers, read scouting reports, and follow the ebbs and flows of his career close enough, you would see peeks and valleys where he has hit very well with bursts of power and potential and production. You would see attributes of decent speed and smart play. You would see the ability to field at 2B, 3B, and OF. But no question the lack of consistency is disappointing.

I am about ready to give up on Cabbage at this point. But still 22 until August, I remain hopeful for Blackenhorn. The tools are there. I will not say 2019 is a make or break season for him. But with all his talent, 3 1/2 years in, I feel it's his year to begin to find consistency and shine.

I've always liked the way Blankenhorn attacks the game but to me he has always been contact challenged.To much swing and miss, too many strikeouts.You can't have a K rate approaching 30% and think you are going to make it to MLB.His BABIP is around .300 for his carreer his walk rate is around 7% so he is in decent shape there. 

If he can get his K rate into the teens with another point or two up on the walk rate he will have a fighting chance.If the K rate remains where it is I don't see him making it.The pitching only gets tougher as you move up.If he doesn't conquer High A ball this year I see him dropping off prospect lists and into obscurity.

#63 2wins87

2wins87

• 438 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

Blankenhorn's overall minor league production is very Plouffe-esque.

So it's certainly possible that he turns into a good major leaguer, but I'm not sure we want to see the scenario where he gets a long enough leash in the majors to do so...

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and Original Whizzinator like this

#64 gagu

gagu

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 79 posts
  • LocationQuilpue, Chile

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the information but this SUCKS!!! It was such a convenient page with everything centralized. 

I had the same problem when my bookmarked Twins scores page turned into their total team's scoreboard page. Just needed to bookmark:

https://www.milb.com/scores/twins

I'm good to go again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, alex kirilloff, wander javier, trevor larnach, brent rooker