Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Seth's Preseason Top 20 Minnesota Twins Position Player Prospects

royce lewis alex kirilloff wander javier trevor larnach brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:47 AM

Luke Raley, I get that some of these guys have more hype and guys at Rookie and low A seem like can't miss.BUT, Raley looks like can't miss to me.Good Speed, Good Power, Good AVG.#12 at the Highest. Rortvedt, I'm not a big fan 20-25 seem good to me.

#42 nater79a

nater79a

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Not on this particular list.....but how do we pronounce Zander Wiel's last name?Is it like "wheel" or "while"?

Heard it both ways. Dick and Bert and Dazzle were all over the map on this during spring training.

#43 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:51 AM

Man, the Twins must really, really like Helman. I mean, I fully understand Larnach and Jeffers jumping straight to Ft. Myers, but Helman isn't necessarily the type of player that you bump up that fast. But he's talented. Again, not sure he has any plus tools but he is average or better at a lot of things. Fields well. Plays middle infield. Line drives. Good approach. Averagish speed. He's impressive to watch 

I look at it differently. Helman is a year older than Larnach and Jeffers...played the extra year of college ball (in a top program/conference), which also explains maybe droping a few rounds compared to the juniors. To me, if they like him at ALL they should be getting him to Fort Myers sooner rather than later. Either way, it's encouraging.

The absence that has me a bit surprised is Rortvedt. The inclusion that has me surprised is Willie Joe Garry. Did I miss something, or is he kind of coming out of nowhere in your rankings? A 9th round draft pick (article says 10th, btw) that hasn't registered anything positive in an official league as of yet. My guess is you're hearing things regarding Garry from people in the organization? 

#44 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

Not on this particular list.....but how do we pronounce Zander Wiel's last name? Is it like "wheel" or "while"?

Heard it both ways. Dick and Bert and Dazzle were all over the map on this during spring training.

Wheel.

#45 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:58 PM

I’m also on the Rortvedt band wagon. I loved him as a draft pick and I loved what I saw when I went to watch the Kernels. While there, I also heard lots of good things about him from the long time Kernels fans I sat near. They saw intangibles that they believed made their pitchers better. They credited him with being a good game caller and felt pitchers respected him behind the dish. I think he should be higher on this list.

I would love to hear SD Buhrs opinion on this...

Edited by goulik, 04 April 2019 - 12:59 PM.

• gagu likes this

#46 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:30 PM

Agreed! A lot of talented players acquired since the beginning of 2016.

Will there be a serious 40-man roster crunch coming up in the future? I hope someone at TD will put up a list of Rule V eligibility for 2020 and 2021 at some point (hint).

I was thinking this exact thing as I read this earlier today.Gotta believe these young studs in the FO will have a handle on this and will move a few of those who could be at risk this summer.Whether its part of a deal to bring in help for 2019 or a younger prospect further away from that Rule 5 day or reckoning.

• dbminn likes this

#47 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

I'd rank Raley higher than Wade and only lower than Larnach, Kiriloff, and Rooker (these 3 mentioned in alpha and not any other order btw.) He has 5 tools vs 3 (no arm and power) for Wade, is a year younger, and had very similar performance at the same stop last season.Wade's hit and run tool is better, but Raley's other 3 tools are much better.If I were to think of a Raley comparable, it would be one of my favorite prospects who just did not make it for whatever reasons, Joe Benson...

Does L come before K, alphabetically?I wish I knew how to put one of those smiley faces here!!!!

• Thrylos likes this

#48 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

No expert, but a hunch on Raley that I think a lot of us seem to have
I think we're talking about him a lot more this time next year, if not mid season.

Understand the reasons given, and development that still needs to take place, but not sure I could keep Rortvedt off this list.

Not trying to deliberately be a "cup runneth over" fan but there are quite a few guys not on this list that are still pretty decent prospects with potential.
  • Dman and caninatl04 like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#49 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

Your low ranking of Maciel is a bit of an outier compared to national prospect minds.

Any reason why you like him less than most?

I don't know. He's not a big guy, and I didn't see him play a lot. Saw him take a lot of BP. He's good, as shown in my description of him. 

#50 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

Does anyone know how to get to the MiLB website that was basically a home base for all of the affiliates for the Twins?In past years through MiLB.com I believe there was a way to get to their affiliates website that on the right side had a link to all of their teams.I can't find it anymore.

#51 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:04 PM

Agreed! A lot of talented players acquired since the beginning of 2016.

Will there be a serious 40-man roster crunch coming up in the future? I hope someone at TD will put up a list of Rule V eligibility for 2020 and 2021 at some point (hint).

We'll certainly have articles on Rule 5 eligibles. There are a lot... 

• Danchat likes this

#52 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Not on this particular list.....but how do we pronounce Zander Wiel's last name?Is it like "wheel" or "while"?

Heard it both ways. Dick and Bert and Dazzle were all over the map on this during spring training.

Zander Weil (Wheel)... 

#53 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

I’m also on the Rortvedt band wagon. I loved him as a draft pick and I loved what I saw when I went to watch the Kernels. While there, I also heard lots of good things about him from the long time Kernels fans I sat near. They saw intangibles that they believed made their pitchers better. They credited him with being a good game caller and felt pitchers respected him behind the dish. I think he should be higher on this list.

I'm not very high on glove only (mostly) catchers in the minors. Those guys tend to only end up as nomads in the majors, never sticking with a team overly long.

He'll get me interested if he starts OPSing +.800. And I'm not at all suggesting he can't do that. Just that there seems to be little indication he's going to have much of a bat.

#54 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:11 PM

Does anyone know how to get to the MiLB website that was basically a home base for all of the affiliates for the Twins?In past years through MiLB.com I believe there was a way to get to their affiliates website that on the right side had a link to all of their teams.I can't find it anymore.

They definitely switched it up a bit this year, but here's a few links:

Scoreboard:  https://www.milb.com/scores/twins/

All affiliate links: https://www.milb.com/team/affiliations

MLB Affiliate news: https://www.milb.com.../affiliate-news

Otherwise it seems they may have gotten rid of the page you're thinking, which like you, I'm going to miss if so.

• nicksaviking and caninatl04 like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#55 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

I look at it differently. Helman is a year older than Larnach and Jeffers...played the extra year of college ball (in a top program/conference), which also explains maybe droping a few rounds compared to the juniors. To me, if they like him at ALL they should be getting him to Fort Myers sooner rather than later. Either way, it's encouraging.

The absence that has me a bit surprised is Rortvedt. The inclusion that has me surprised is Willie Joe Garry. Did I miss something, or is he kind of coming out of nowhere in your rankings? A 9th round draft pick (article says 10th, btw) that hasn't registered anything positive in an official league as of yet. My guess is you're hearing things regarding Garry from people in the organization? 

Helman played two years of CC and then one year at Texas A&M. Larnach and Jeffers played 3 years of D1. 

Garry - I mean, this ranking is based almost solely on having now watched him play. Incredibly raw but he's so talented and he does look pretty natural. Maybe it's the sweet, left-handed swing. Maybe it's his frame. Maybe it was hearing that he was one of the first guys to get to the academy after the New Year. The speed. So much!!

Right now, he was impressive and this ranking is based on timing and now having seen him in person for a week. For me ,he's a guy that by the and of the year could fall out of a Top 100 ranking (if I did that), or he could jump into the Top 20. 

• dbminn and gagu like this

#56 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

I don't 'disagree with any of this... 

#57 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

Otherwise it seems they may have gotten rid of the page you're thinking, which like you, I'm going to miss if so.

Thanks for the information but this SUCKS!!! It was such a convenient page with everything centralized. 

#58 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the information but this SUCKS!!! It was such a convenient page with everything centralized. 

Agree 100%. And I can't think of a reason why they would take it away, either.

• diehardtwinsfan and caninatl04 like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#59 IaFan1

IaFan1

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

I just don't understand the high marks given Travis Blankenhorn.We the fans keep hearing about his potential. But the stats don't bare any of that out. He's had 4 years in the organization and has yet to have a breakout season. He strikes out a ton. Doesn't hit for average, has a little-not a lot of pop and average speed. I hope this is the year that he puts it all together. But I don't see where he merits a #18 ranking. 

• Mike Sixel and Dman like this

#60 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,612 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

I find this link useful for some purposes too:

https://www.baseball...iate.cgi?id=MIN

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, alex kirilloff, wander javier, trevor larnach, brent rooker