Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 7, KC 6: Twins Come Back From 3-Run Deficit

adalberto mejia trevor may eddie rosario max kepler mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,338 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

I didn't see the game and I'm of course happy with the victory and as long as they keep winning, Baldelli can do what he wants... but... I was personally disappointed to see a getaway day lineup. 

Not because I don't want to see Austin, Astudillo, Adrianaza in the lineup. I have no problem with anyone getting a chance to compete for playing time so I'll never complain about anyone getting playing time... but disappointment because I was just hoping for a manager who wouldn't hold these guys on the bench and then just play them all in one game once every 6 games... getaway day style. It's 2019... we don't need this style of deployment anymore.  

Anyway... we won and it's been a great start so I'll just mention it without lodging official complaint. I have no legs to stand on if the team is winning. 

• glunn, Platoon and sloopjont like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,072 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:12 PM

I didn't see the game and I'm of course happy with the victory and as long as they keep winning, Baldelli can do what he wants... but... I was personally disappointed to see a getaway day lineup. 

Not because I don't want to see Austin, Astudillo, Adrianaza in the lineup. I have no problem with anyone getting a chance to compete for playing time so I'll never complain about anyone getting playing time... but disappointment because I was just hoping for a manager who wouldn't hold these guys on the bench and then just play them all in one game once every 6 games... getaway day style. It's 2019... we don't need this style of deployment anymore.  

Anyway... we won and it's been a great start so I'll just mention it without lodging official complaint. I have no legs to stand on if the team is winning. 

I'd say that's probably a bigger issue later in the season... at some point, he has to get them in... in Astrudillo's case, if he keeps hitting like this, I think we both agree he needs to see the lineup more. 

• glunn, Riverbrian, mikelink45 and 1 other like this

#23 Shaitan

Shaitan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

Great start to the season for the Twins. I am a bit concerned about the next couple of series since there won't be a DH. Minnesota needs Cruz's bat in the lineup and I'm not sure he can hold up for many innings in the outfield.

He's going to need at least one day off to let the HBP bruises heal.

Does he crowd the plate or are other factors at play here?

• glunn and Original Whizzinator like this

#24 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

I was surprised and encouraged by what Garver did today with the bat.I think I under estimate his hitting sometimes.Although I know spring training doesn't mean anything he looked like he was struggling.Guess I was wrong.With the Turtle and Garver hitting like this we have great options off the bench.

Kepler sure seems to have a good eye at the plate but he has some of the worst luck getting hits I have ever seen.Here's hoping he can get hot and get more confident.

I love it when Rosario in on.He makes games fun.But he needs to let the game come to him.Several pitchers strategy seem to be getting him to chase pitches out of the zone which he happily does far too often.If he takes his walks they will start throwing him better pitches.

Can't say enough good things about Cruz.He really makes the lineup more dangerous.If he stays healthy that signing looks huge for this team.

Very happy with the start.Hoping we can steal a game or two from the Phillies.

• glunn, jimbo92107, bluechipper and 5 others like this

#25 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:57 PM

I can see Cruz in right field for a few innings in each of these interleague games. All I've heard from his spring training experiences were good reviews. He's a pro. He wants to win. He will be ready.
  • glunn, nicksaviking, woolywoolhouse and 5 others like this

#26 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

What was up with the pitching change in the ninth? A righty for a righty, one out left. May saw 3 hitters across two innings. IDK, just seemed like a weird Gardy sorta decision.
  • mikelink45, tarheeltwinsfan and ewen21 like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#27 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

Just get prepared watch the tape and dont let Harper be the one to beat you.

#28 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:23 PM

I want to see our Harper pitch to their Harper.

• woolywoolhouse and bighat like this

#29 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:32 PM

We can celebrate the victories - but we worked awfully hard to beat these Royals.Check in next week to see how we look. 

• Dman likes this

#30 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

I'm not so sure I want to see that, to be honest.

Does Rocco seem like the nicest, most aww-shucks guy or what? Everyone's great, everyone's a star, "Gibby was fantastic out there", etc. He made sure to heap praise on Buxton as a game-changer, etc. He's just so positive and full of 100% unconditional praise.

Molitor would have mumbled something about how Astudillo "did OK but made some mistakes".

I don't really care as long as they keep winning, just kinda noticed it.

• Puckett34, DocBauer, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

#31 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,338 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:46 PM

I'd say that's probably a bigger issue later in the season... at some point, he has to get them in... in Astrudillo's case, if he keeps hitting like this, I think we both agree he needs to see the lineup more. 

I'm not even calling it an issue yet. Just getting preemptively ready to call it an issue... down the road... if the team starts losing and this pattern remains. 

With the amount of days off in the early schedule it'll be hard for anyone to develop a rhythm so I can see a manager trotting the regulars out there.I've never liked the term regular but I know that they exist.

They are all small sample sizes at this point so you can't determine that anyone has fallen off the wagon yet or is deserving of a swift kick challenge in the pants. 

I get it... but... the idea of taking your non-regulars and staring them all in one day? The getaway lineup is something I'm done with. I've had to tolerate it for years now and don't have any toleration left for it. If you want to mix players into the lineup... mix them in... don't wait for the getaway day to mix them all in with the grace of an elephant. 

As for Astudillo... 3 for 5 today... There is absolutely no reason for him to sit at all right now. No reason at all. 

However... I'm really trying not to sound crabby. We won... it's been a great start... I'm happy. 

• glunn, DocBauer, Platoon and 2 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#32 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:12 PM

I'm not even calling it an issue yet. Just getting preemptively ready to call it an issue... down the road... if the team starts losing and this pattern remains. 

With the amount of days off in the early schedule it'll be hard for anyone to develop a rhythm so I can see a manager trotting the regulars out there.I've never liked the term regular but I know that they exist.

They are all small sample sizes at this point so you can't determine that anyone has fallen off the wagon yet or is deserving of a swift kick challenge in the pants. 

I get it... but... the idea of taking your non-regulars and staring them all in one day? The getaway lineup is something I'm done with. I've had to tolerate it for years now and don't have any toleration left for it. If you want to mix players into the lineup... mix them in... don't wait for the getaway day to mix them all in with the grace of an elephant. 

As for Astudillo... 3 for 5 today... There is absolutely no reason for him to sit at all right now. No reason at all. 

However... I'm really trying not to sound crabby. We won... it's been a great start... I'm happy.

Absolutely agree on getaway days. Let guys play! TK was great at keeping everyone fresh and everyone involved. As he used to say, paraphrasing somewhat, you can't have guys ride the bench and then throw them in a game and expect them to perform. Gardenhire was pretty good at it, at times. But why do you sit half your "regulars" on the last day? You want a "getaway" day to be a "giveaway" day?

Only 5 games in, but I generally like everything I'm seeing from roster usage. The lineup has been a bit static but not inflexible. The primary players need to play, and they've mixed guys in. Hard for all three catchers to find consistency with the off days, but so far they are making it work, especially using the flexibility of Astudillo.

Speaking of Astudillo, I think we're getting beyond the SSS aren't we? He flat out hits and produces. Doesn't mean he can't fail or slump, of course, but he needs to be in the lineup most days. He is a completely different player than Gonzalez, but he is also a "super utility" player IMO. Guy should hit 2nd behind Kepler/Polanco, or in the 5-6-7 spots behind Rosario and potentially Sano when back. (Or between Rosario and Sano?) He brings a unique skill set that needs to be out there most days.
  • glunn, Riverbrian, bluechipper and 4 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#33 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,338 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

Speaking of Astudillo, I think we're getting beyond the SSS aren't we? 

I'm no genius but as far I can tell... He's hitting RIGHT NOW!!! 

I don't know if he will hit in the future.

But there is absolutely no question that he is hitting RIGHT NOW!!!

If you are making out lineup for June 4th... I can see the hesitation... BUT... BUT... if you are making out a lineup for RIGHT NOW!!! The answer should be obvious.:)

• glunn, Dantes929, DocBauer and 2 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#34 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

Astudillo!!!!! Astudillo!!!! Astudillo!!!!

I have not been as fired up about a Twins player since Kirby Puckett who also played with A LOT of passion and could hit ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.

Yes im not an expert, but ill continue to play one on message boards, and yes this is a small sample size, but the eye test says we have something special here!

DAMN HE IS FUN TO WATCH

• glunn, Jerr, bluechipper and 5 others like this

#35 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

B Squad games normally are kinda lame, but in this case it was fun because we didn't know what we had on the bench. We still aren't completely sure, but Garver, A-Stud and Austin can sure swing the lumber. Austin's late hit was like a knuckled 3-iron. Garver's swing spells long career, and El Cherubo is going to give opposing pitchers chaos headaches.

I think I saw Grande Tortuga whiff on one swing the whole game. Seeing Astudillo makes me wonder, why do all these other professional baseball players miss the ball so often?

• glunn, birdwatcher, Jerr and 5 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#36 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

B Squad games normally are kinda lame, but in this case it was fun because we didn't know what we had on the bench. We still aren't completely sure, but Garver, A-Stud and Austin can sure swing the lumber. Austin's late hit was like a knuckled 3-iron. Garver's swing spells long career, and El Cherubo is going to give opposing pitchers chaos headaches.

"A-stud" is a great word play for a nick-name on this kid.

• jimbo92107, Danchat and Original Whizzinator like this

#37 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:27 PM

Oh, please, God, no.
  • wsnydes, bighat and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#38 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:49 PM

"A-stud" is a great word play for a nick-name on this kid.

I can't claim credit...somebody else got there in a previous thread. I forgot to give a hat tip.

• bighat likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#39 joemama

joemama

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:07 AM

Does Rocco seem like the nicest, most aww-shucks guy or what? Everyone's great, everyone's a star, "Gibby was fantastic out there", etc. He made sure to heap praise on Buxton as a game-changer, etc. He's just so positive and full of 100% unconditional praise.

Molitor would have mumbled something about how Astudillo "did OK but made some mistakes".

I don't really care as long as they keep winning, just kinda noticed it.

Spot on ... public praise, private criticism ... recipe for success. Maybe Moli practiced it until he couldn't stand it anymore, but I don't think so. Rocco was selected in part for his personality and this is a part of it.

• glunn, birdwatcher and bighat like this

#40 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:10 AM

Most years lately Mejia would make the rotation. His place speaks to the talent level of the staff. For all the worry over the pen I was excited to see what he could do from this slot and I have to say it is a luxury to have that kind of talent there. These games where the starter gets knocked out early are lost games and when you start stealing them we are on to something.
  • glunn, LA VIkes Fan and bighat like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adalberto mejia, trevor may, eddie rosario, max kepler, mitch garver