Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Acuna Matata: Braves Give Ronald Acuna $100 Million

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:52 AM

Reports this morning are indicating that the Atlanta Braves and Ronald Acuna have agreed to an 8 year deal guaranteeing him $100 million. There are also two options that could bring the deal to 10 years, $124 million. 

Most seem to think that this is just too low for Acuna and bad for him to sign it. However, it's also OK to say that he's taking $100 million (lifetime security) over an injury or a decline or anything else that could happen. 

What do you think? 

• nicksaviking and nytwinsfan like this

#2 Twinsbar107

Twinsbar107

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 204 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

Reports this morning are indicating that the Atlanta Braves and Ronald Acuna have agreed to an 8 year deal guaranteeing him $100 million. There are also two options that could bring the deal to 10 years, $124 million. 

Most seem to think that this is just too low for Acuna and bad for him to sign it. However, it's also OK to say that he's taking $100 million (lifetime security) over an injury or a decline or anything else that could happen. 

What do you think? 

I'm in the too low camp, this is a steal for the Braves, especially with the team options.

• Danchat and SF Twins Fan like this

#3 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,874 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

It exemplifies the asymmetric relationship between teams and players. A team, even a small market one, can financially withstand a career-ending injury that makes a long contract not worth the money the day after it's signed. A player can not say something similar, about such an injury the day after turning down such a contract. It can be a good deal for both sides, and yet because of the economics of any big business it might be a better deal for the team. "It takes money to make money."

• Blake, LA VIkes Fan and wabene like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:31 AM

With no offense to Kepler or Polanco, I can't wait until the Twins have a young superstar they get to extend.

Maybe Berrios next year or, fingers crossed, Lewis, Kirilloff and/or Graterol soon after.

• Mike Sixel, LA VIkes Fan and SF Twins Fan like this

#5 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

Criminally underpaid. This says a lot about the current free agency environment.

If he signed this deal 8 years ago and was becoming a FA today at 31 years old, he isn't getting much more than this on any new deal.

That's a superstar player basically guaranteeing he's going to be one of the most underpaid ones ever.

The only way this is good for him is if he has a career ending injury the way I see it. 

Edit: And I get the "lifetime security" aspect of it too, but that's MLB taking advantage of the deck they stacked for themselves.

• Blake, Dman, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

R.I.P. Free agency. It was fun while it lasted.
  • Steve Lein, PseudoSABR, TheLeviathan and 1 other like this

#7 spanman2

spanman2

• 264 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Great deal for the Braves...would be interesting to know who convinced him to sign the deal?Maybe he made his mind up on his own?Bottom line he is getting 100 large.Not the worst day of his life.Perhaps he is looking at it like getting paid this much to play the game I love...sign me up!

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#8 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,429 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

This is also a guy who had two HUGE injuries already in his career, either of which could have been a career-ender. He's 21 and a superstar already, but there is that aspect of lining up long-term security.

In talking to an agent with a mid-tier sports agency, they are having an influx of their baseball clients asking for them to seek out extensions on their current contracts. There's a significant concern among players right now about a prolonged work stoppage, and those with guaranteed contracts would still get paid during such a time.

There are now nearly $4.5 billion in extensions that have been signed in 2019.

• Blake, scottz, brvama and 4 others like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

This is also a guy who had two HUGE injuries already in his career, either of which could have been a career-ender. He's 21 and a superstar already, but there is that aspect of lining up long-term security.

In talking to an agent with a mid-tier sports agency, they are having an influx of their baseball clients asking for them to seek out extensions on their current contracts. There's a significant concern among players right now about a prolonged work stoppage, and those with guaranteed contracts would still get paid during such a time.

There are now nearly $4.5 billion in extensions that have been signed in 2019.

Your last paragraph is perfect for the other thread 'Plenty of Money'

We have examples of hefty extensions issued out by large, mid market, and even Tampa Bay got in the mix extending Blake Snell.

The narrative this offseason that owners are barely breaking even or losing money is debunked.

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,429 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

What they essentially did was wipe out the 2019/2020 FA market the last four months.

The guys left (-x = option for 2020 and/or opt-out):

Jose Abreu, Cody Allen, Elvis Andrus-x, Chris Archer-x, Jake Arrieta-x, Dellin Betances, Brad Brach-x, Madison Bumgarner, Matt Carpenter-x, Nicholas Castellanos, Starlin Castro-x, Francisco Cervelli, Tony Cingrani, Steve Cishek, Gerrit Cole, Nelson Cruz-x, Yu Darvish-x, Khris Davis, Corey Dickerson, Josh Donaldson, Sean Doolittle-x, Brian Dozier, Adam Eaton-x, Scooter Gennett, Kyle Gibson, Yasmani Grandal-x, Didi Gregorius, Cole Hamels, Matt Harvey, Felix Hernandez, Jason Heyward-x, Greg Holland, Kenley Jansen-x, Jeremy Jeffress-x, Corey Kluber-x, Starling Marte-x, J.D. Martinez-x, Collin McHugh, Jake Odorizzi, Wily Peralta-x, Yusmeiro Petit-x, Michael Pineda, Rick Porcello, Yasiel Puig, Jose Quintana-x, Anthony Rendon, Hector Rondon, Anthony Rizzo-x, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Jonathan Schoop, Will Smith, Justin Smoak, Stephen Strasburg-x, Pedro Strop, Julio Teheran-x, Arodys Vizcaino, Michael Wacha, Tony Watson-x, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood

Really about the only one left under 30 that's a "big-time" guy is Castellanos.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#11 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:22 PM

What are these huge injuries you speak of?

(I only ask because I've had several way worse injuries than I know he has had in his career, and I still managed to come back to play ball from all of them as a non-professional athlete)

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

Criminally underpaid. This says a lot about the current free agency environment.

If he signed this deal 8 years ago and was becoming a FA today at 31 years old, he isn't getting much more than this on any new deal.

That's a superstar player basically guaranteeing he's going to be one of the most underpaid ones ever.

The only way this is good for him is if he has a career ending injury the way I see it. 

Edit: And I get the "lifetime security" aspect of it too, but that's MLB taking advantage of the deck they stacked for themselves.

I think the idea of "criminally underpaid" is a bit excessive.

If he didn't sign this deal,, he would likely get:

2019: $600K

2020: $750K

2021: $10M (Arb 1)

2022: $18M (Arb 2)

2023: $24 M (Arb 3)

2024: $30 M (Arb 4)

And then he would be a free agent. And those are the numbers if he remains a superstar... obviously less if he is less because these are Arenado-type numbers in arb.

That's $83.35 million over the next six years. Then he would become a free agent at like 26 and probably get numbers around what Harper/Machado got (and maybe more depending on the next CBA). 

So yes, he is certainly turning down potentially a lot of money for some security... but let's not pretend the Braves aren't taking any risk here at all. Where Acuna would theoretically lose out on money would be in those free agent years... and if those option years are picked up... If he's healthy and productive, they certainly will be picked up. If he's not healthy, or becomes the next Jose Tabata, man ,this contract looks bad for Atlanta. 

I agree... going year-to-year is a great way to potentially maximize by betting on oneself... but this isn't the end of the world for Acuna either. 

• Blake, laloesch and wabene like this

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,060 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

The braves are rolling in money. They could burn it, they have so much. They aren't taking any risk here.
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#14 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

And then he would be a free agent. 

The last sentence right there is basically my reasoning for putting it that way.

He's 26 at that point and can get paid by anybody as a Free Agent. If he's been that good he's looking at $25-ish or more MIL/year on a long-term deal. Say 8 years. On the low-end there's $200MIL (pretty conservative, if you ask me), + the $83.35MIL you outline.

That's a heck of a lot more than he's ever going to get now because he's signed this deal. If he's awesome, he's not a free agent until he's over 30, and that next big long-term deal just isn't going to be there (assuming similar market to now).

I know these things often work themselves out one way or the other, but again, to me this is the Braves using their stacked deck courtesy of the MLB and the MLBPA probably hates this deal more than any other one that's ever happened.

I mean, I get it's not like he NEEDS all that extra potential money if he's a smart guy, but I hate an MLB where a player has to concede this much to feel "secure".

• wabene likes this

#15 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,414 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

Great deal for both sides. The Braves insure themselves if he does become a star. Acuna insures himself if he doesnt. Both risk some money, buy some guarantee.

Let's let Acuna actually become someone worth way more before saying the Braves got a steal.
  • ashbury, Blake, Kevin and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#16 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 216 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:15 PM

I think the idea of "criminally underpaid" is a bit excessive.

If he didn't sign this deal,, he would likely get:

And then he would be a free agent. And those are the numbers if he remains a superstar... obviously less if he is less because these are Arenado-type numbers in arb.

That's $83.35 million over the next six years. Then he would become a free agent at like 26 and probably get numbers around what Harper/Machado got (and maybe more depending on the next CBA).

So yes, he is certainly turning down potentially a lot of money for some security... but let's not pretend the Braves aren't taking any risk here at all. Where Acuna would theoretically lose out on money would be in those free agent years... and if those option years are picked up... If he's healthy and productive, they certainly will be picked up. If he's not healthy, or becomes the next Jose Tabata, man ,this contract looks bad for Atlanta.

I agree... going year-to-year is a great way to potentially maximize by betting on oneself... but this isn't the end of the world for Acuna either.

You are assuming he doesnt have a sophmore slump.

#17 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

Worth noting that Acuna only got a $100k signing bonus as an amateur, in addition to still being 2 years away from getting more than MLB minimum. He probably had more incentive to sign this deal than some others.
  • Blake, Oldgoat_MN, Dman and 1 other like this

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,060 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

His agent might not be totally scrupulous......

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:20 AM

You are assuming he doesnt have a sophmore slump.

Correct. 

• wabene likes this

#20 markos

markos

• 1,411 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

His agent might not be totally scrupulous......

It isn't talked about enough how agents do not have the same incentive structure as players while the players are still pre-arbitration. In many ways, it is in the best interest of the agent to sign an extension now rather than wait until arbitration, much less free agency.

• ashbury and wabene like this