Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Non-Twins 2019 season news

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

More than a few on the board were disappointed we took Royce Lewis instead. He didn't play his draft year and had modest results his first full season. He's still only 19, but Lewis will be in The Show while he's still probably rehabbing.

Kyle Wright is pitching in the majors already......I'm not sure your point, exactly. But this year and next, the Twins would be better off with Wright, most likely. After that, probably Lewis, but these two years count too....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#22 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:47 AM

There are few in baseball who love the game of baseball the way Big Erv does. I hope he's gotten back the 2-3 MPH that weren't there last summer as he returned from injury and can be back to the guy the Twins got the rest of his deal, which was a pretty decent deal for the Twins overall.

I didn’t see his pitch speeds, but he gave up 7 runs and didn’t make it out of the 4th inning...

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#23 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Soooooooooooo Chris Davis......................... I'm no expert but I would seem to think his start is less than ideal

Wow, 0 for 29 with 15 strikeouts? That’s just incredible, and they keep trotting him out there. That’s another reason why I don’t like fully guaranteed contracts, as Davis has no motivation to get better.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#24 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:12 PM

I didn’t see his pitch speeds, but he gave up 7 runs and didn’t make it out of the 4th inning...

He averaged 92.9 on his fastball in 2017. When he came back last year, it was 88.8. His first start was at least 90.5, so better than 2018, but still not the levels he was at with the Twins before 2018 (92.5-92.9). His slider was also off a couple ticks as well while his change was back to the same velo.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#25 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

Braves got another extension done, the second of the three that approached the team to do an extension this winter (they've reached out to multiple other players about extensions as well).

So far these are just guys who wanted to get one done, which is why the narrative about them leaving money on the table gets out of perspective.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

Braves got another extension done, the second of the three that approached the team to do an extension this winter (they've reached out to multiple other players about extensions as well).

So far these are just guys who wanted to get one done, which is why the narrative about them leaving money on the table gets out of perspective.

Out of perspective? This might be the worst extension in MLB history......

It comes from cutting the international bonuses, so they don't get even close to their value, and then wanting money sooner. It's an awful deal for the player......awful.

• Steve Lein and KirbyDome89 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:34 PM

Out of perspective? This might be the worst extension in MLB history......

It comes from cutting the international bonuses, so they don't get even close to their value, and then wanting money sooner. It's an awful deal for the player......awful.

Yes, out of perspective. Player comes to the team seeking to get his family out of a horrific political climate and remain with his friends for an extended time. Signs extension that sets he and his family up for life. Team is ripped for anything short of market value.

Rinse. Repeat.

That does not mean I don't see that a player could make more. It does not mean that I don't see that the financials are messed up in the game. It does mean that there could be other reasons for seeking out a deal now when leverage may not be at the player's best.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

Yes, out of perspective. Player comes to the team seeking to get his family out of a horrific political climate and remain with his friends for an extended time. Signs extension that sets he and his family up for life. Team is ripped for anything short of market value.

Rinse. Repeat.

That does not mean I don't see that a player could make more. It does not mean that I don't see that the financials are messed up in the game. It does mean that there could be other reasons for seeking out a deal now when leverage may not be at the player's best.

That doesn't make it close to a fair contract for his services. But sure, it's just business to take advantage of these players and their family situations. So, no biggie I guess

#29 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

That doesn't make it close to a fair contract for his services. But sure, it's just business to take advantage of these players and their family situations. So, no biggie I guess

When did I say it was a fair market contract? Any extension ahead of free agency is inherently going to be for below market value. That's the nature of the beast.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

When did I say it was a fair market contract? Any extension ahead of free agency is inherently going to be for below market value. That's the nature of the beast.

It's not fair, but we shouldn't criticize the team? It's not fair, so we shouldn't say it's a terrible deal? I'm confused. And, plenty of extensions don't get this kind of ridicule. From, what I read, ALL CORNERS of MLB, including other FO anonymously. 

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:38 PM

https://blogs.fangra...gned-a-stinker/

• Vanimal46 likes this

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

• Steve Lein, nicksaviking, milldaddy35 and 2 others like this

#33 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

It's not fair, but we shouldn't criticize the team? It's not fair, so we shouldn't say it's a terrible deal? I'm confused. And, plenty of extensions don't get this kind of ridicule. From, what I read, ALL CORNERS of MLB, including other FO anonymously. 

Considering they offered Albies 1/3 of what they offered Acuna, it certainly appears that the Braves are motivated less by paying in proportion to expected future performance and more by taking advantage of a player's relative desperation.

• Steve Lein, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#34 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

Considering they offered Albies 1/3 of what they offered Acuna, it certainly appears that the Braves are motivated less by paying in proportion to expected future performance and more by taking advantage of a player's relative desperation.

Or Acuna won Rookie of the Year, is widely viewed as a generational talent and had a second half last year that would be fitting on the 2017 Twins.

Ozzie hit a bunch of home runs in the first half last year and got on the All-Star team in large part because of those home runs (as he had a rough OBP and was walking just 4% of the time. He then followed that with a .226/.282/.342 second half, along with going 3/15 in the postseason series. While Ozzie is a dynamic young player with explosive energy, he's also a guy who shattered his elbow just swinging the bat in 2015.

They're best friends, from a similar part of the world, but they aren't equal players, and to pretend like they are is disingenuous at best.

#35 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

We've all seen them, Mike. I've also seen all the BS about it being a small agent looking to make a quick buck. That's complete wash as the same agent represents some of the biggest stars in the game, including Craig Kimbrel.

Ozzie came to the Braves, wanted an extension, wanted this length, wanted a particular amount. He's already talking about not playing to the end of the deal on the current terms, as is the team. This was a matter of locking down his future. Now that's done, he can play ball and earn his next deal, which will likely be before this one is done.

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

We've all seen them, Mike. I've also seen all the BS about it being a small agent looking to make a quick buck. That's complete wash as the same agent represents some of the biggest stars in the game, including Craig Kimbrel.

Ozzie came to the Braves, wanted an extension, wanted this length, wanted a particular amount. He's already talking about not playing to the end of the deal on the current terms, as is the team. This was a matter of locking down his future. Now that's done, he can play ball and earn his next deal, which will likely be before this one is done.

You think Liberty, out of generosity, is going to give him a pay raise when they don't have to? 

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:46 AM

You think Liberty, out of generosity, is going to give him a pay raise when they don't have to? 

They could re-negotiate a further extension. The Royals did it with Salvador Perez, etc.

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

They could re-negotiate a further extension. The Royals did it with Salvador Perez, etc.

Sal Perez's extension only gave him a minimal pay bump over the existing option years, it mostly just added a few more years.
And he also was already 5 years into the deal.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 12 April 2019 - 10:51 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:53 AM

True, they could. In the mean time, he got the same contract that a CLE player got 25 years ago.....

#40 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

Yeah but Albies came to ownership because ownership has so thoroughly manipulated the system that the players are forced to come to them on their knees if they want to get any kind of compensation during their peak years.

I want the Twins to develop players worthy of early career extensions, but if they even proposed a deal like this to a desperate young international signee I wouldn’t feel great about it.
  • Steve Lein, Mike Sixel, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this