Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Non-Twins 2019 season news

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#221 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

He's given up more than three earned runs 2 of 7 starts. I'll take that. Once was four, once was five. Even four isn't going to kill this team. He's gone six innings five of his last seven starts.

Well sure, I'd take that too, in the bank.
I don't expect it to continue forward though.

#222 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

Keuchel has gotten good luck on balls in play it seems -- but he has had some bad luck on HR rate. His xFIP is only 4.06 which is much closer to his ERA and rest of season projection, and ahead of Perez.

What are the xFIP's of our current rotation (including Pineda)?

#223 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

What are the xFIP's of our current rotation (including Pineda)?

Is this rhetorical?

#224 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:25 PM

Is this rhetorical?

No, I don't typically look at xFIP as I don't quite believe that every pitcher should be expected to have an equalized HR rate, so I have no idea how Kuechel compares to the pitchers we already have in that metric.

I can check myself though, when I get a spare minute or two, cooking now.

#225 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

No, I don't typically look at xFIP as I don't quite believe that every pitcher should be expected to have an equalized HR rate, so I have no idea how Kuechel compares to the pitchers we already have in that metric.

I can check myself though, when I get a spare minute or two, cooking now.

No prob. Here's the link:

https://www.fangraph...date=2019-12-31

#226 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

I wasn't really arguing xFIP vs FIP superiority or anything, just noting it to give the FIP some additional context.

#227 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

Well sure, I'd take that too, in the bank.
I don't expect it to continue forward though.

I'm curious why? He was decent to good last year......not great, of course. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#228 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:31 AM

I'm curious why? He was decent to good last year......not great, of course.

Because he didn't have a ST, and his k rate is down and his walk rate is up.
I haven't watched him pitch, but his numbers suggest he's been pretty lucky so far this year.

#229 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:34 AM

No prob. Here's the link:

https://www.fangraph...date=2019-12-31

My main takeaway from looking at that link would be that fans pining for Smeltzer to join the rotation had better be careful what they wish for, yikes.
  • ashbury likes this

#230 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

I haven't watched him pitch, but his numbers suggest he's been pretty lucky so far this year.

Thanks. All fair.

#231 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

He's taken the ball at least 2 times, and perhaps as many as 4 times, when the team needed him to go 6 or more innings after the bullpen was wrecked ahead of him. He took the hit to his ERA as he tired later in the game, but he kept pitching and getting guys to put the ball in play to his defenders.

For what it's worth, with Riley on the IL, Duvall/Inciarte/Acuna across the outfield is a very, very good defensive outfield, and Keuchel has traditionally been a guy to let his defense back him up.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#232 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,084 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:17 PM

Not getting Stroman here, or signing Keuchel, is going to hurt the rest of the way. And Stroman for next year also. Didn't need them....... Much more important to have guys pitching here, maybe, in two or three years, when Sano and Cruz and Rosario are gone....

Interesting how you didn’t mean Kimbrel... I can’t imagine the fans would be happy if they landed him and he performed as he did.

I would go back and do the Kuechel deal, even though I was opposed to it at the time. I’m sure many teams would with how the trade market ended up.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#233 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

The Mets took game 1 of a big series vs the Nationals last night; now only 0.5 games out of the 2nd wild card, and 1.5 behind the Nats for the top wild card.

Four teams separated by only half a game for that second NL wild card spot. Six teams within 2.5 games for both spots.

#234 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

I would go back and do the Kuechel deal, even though I was opposed to it at the time. I’m sure many teams would with how the trade market ended up.

Interestingly, just after our most recent Keuchel discussion here, he was lit up for 8 runs on 10 hits (3 HR) in 3.2 innings by the Marlins! He'll need some more good performances to get his season numbers back to respectability now...

• Danchat likes this

#235 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Interestingly, just after our most recent Keuchel discussion here, he was lit up for 8 runs on 10 hits (3 HR) in 3.2 innings by the Marlins! He'll need some more good performances to get his season numbers back to respectability now...

I have wondered if we are looking at starting pitching wrong.....since season numbers peanut butter what are pretty discrete events (starts). I wonder if WPA or something like (though not) quality start makes sense. Not to say how someone will do in the future, but to say how they did in the past.

#236 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,249 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

since season numbers peanut butter what are pretty discrete events (starts)

Quoted for truth.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#237 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

He came out with no feel for his cutter. How he made it out of the first the way he was going is amazing, considering he was basically upper-80s fastball with a straight changeup.

What is insane is that Keuchel got through 3 innings with a walk and four strikeouts even after allowing the first three hitters of the game to score on a pair of home runs. He then opened the fourth giving up what would have really been 7 straight hits if not for Keuchel's own excellent defense at pitcher, turning a double play on a weak dribbler in "no man's land" that most pitchers aren't in the defensive position at the end of their delivery to even attempt to grab, and if he didn't make that play, it's an infield single and he allows two more runs before he's finally pulled after Brian Anderson's second home run.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#238 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,610 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

• Mike Sixel likes this

#239 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,084 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:44 PM

An important piece of non-Twins news:

Corey Kluber (arm) was removed from Sunday's minor league rehab start at Triple-A Columbus after only one inning.
The right-hander never topped 90 mph with his fastball during his lone inning of work and consulted with the trainers after walking off the mound. While there's no certainty that this is a setback in his recovery, it's likely to push his return to the Tribe's rotation back at least an additional week.

Kluber topping out at 90 sounds like bad news to me - bad news for him and the Tribe.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#240 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Liam Hendriks shows his Twins heritage: he entered today vs Yankees with his team leading by 3 runs, and yielded 4 runs (2 inherited) for a walk-off Yankees win.