Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 2019 Pensacola Blue Wahoos Preliminary Roster Preview

alex kirilloff brusdar graterol jorge alcala luis arraez jovani moran
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,724 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

Can be a free agent after the 2021 season, if my math is correct. 

Longer than I thought. Three more seasons to try to make the selection work.

• Steve Lein likes this

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Hey Doc B-As Tyler Jay isn't taking up a 40-man spot, I don't think this is a last chance. The Twins can keep him around for as long as they want and hope their lottery ticket eventually pays off.

You are correct. Simply, what I mean and should have made more clear is he will simply be passed by very soon if he can't stay healthy and take the next step. Hence the last chance comment.
  • caninatl04 likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:04 PM

I thought Arraez would be up in Rochester, but they do have a platoon of guys, minus Rooker and Gordon, who seem to be AAAA guys in the infield there.
I’m excited to watch these guys throughout the year, but even more after the all-star break.

Arraez only spent like 2 months in AA last year... There was no chance that he was going to start in AAA this year. 

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

This may be a silly sounding statement but everything here just makes sense. Other than Hamilton at catcher, based on his 2018, everyone looks like they belong.

I find the infield solid but lean. Other than Arraez, just not sure there is a future MLer amongst them. But with Kirilloff and DeLaTrinidad you have the makings of a pretty nice OF! Not to mention hope Davis can take the next step. A little unsure about both Davis and Kerrigan, but there is some potential. English is the guy I'm disappointed/frustrated with. I have seen him as a better version of Granite for a couple years now but he can't stay healthy. Guy has the right approach at the plate, can run, plays great defense and has a good arm. Just not sure he's ever going to have the opportunity to really establish himself.

How can you not like this staff? I am only mildly surprised by Graterol being here. I expect his IP will be monitored to some degree, but his stuff is outstanding and he ranks universally amongst the topp 100 prospects. Additionally, his "hero" is Berrios and he reportedly is doing all he can to follow his rigid training regime. Alcala has stuff that is at least close. Wells was the milb pitcher of the year for good reason. Jax is older than you like, which makes him a wild card, but the Twins gambled on him for a reason. And finally being allowed to peruse his dream, we started to see the potential/results in 2018.

I don't find the pen to be anything outstanding, but Clay, Moran, Cutara and Stashak could change my mind quickly. (Mildly surprised Stashak isn't starting up at Rochester). Pleased and surprised to see Jay still around. I never really expected someone else to claim him. But a little surprised he's even with the Twins still. But pleased he gets one more shot at health to harness such a talented arm. Blast his selection all you want, kid has/had a really good arm with some wicked stuff. Final shot to see what he can do? Probably. But how many times have we seen a "last chance" and someone takes advatage of it? Heres hoping for tbe best.

Just some thoughts:

1- When I was makign my rosters, there was zero question that Caleb Hamilton was going to make this roster. He's come so far defensively behind the plate. Don't forget that in the playoffs for theMiracle last year they had Hamilton, not Rortvedt, doing almost all of their catching.

2 - Definitely NOT Tyler Jay's last chance. He's only been Rule 5 eligible once. He's got 2 more years before he's a free agent. He's left-handed. He's got good stuff. He's a hard worker. Unless things go really crazy, they aren't going to release him. 

3 - Jax - definitely not too old for anything at this point... 

• DocBauer and caninatl04 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, brusdar graterol, jorge alcala, luis arraez, jovani moran