Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 2019 Rochester Red Wings Preliminary Roster

nick gordon stephen gonsalves kohl stewart lamonte wade brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,783 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:24 AM

Did you forget Thorpe in your Top Prospects listing, Seth?

Sure did... not sure how that happened... 

He was #8... http://twinsdaily.co...s-thorpe-r7508

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,783 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

I like that this team has some prospect talent this year.Seems like the last two years have had the roster full of journeyman types. 

Which are also important... If the Twins are competing and they need a utility infielder and Adam Rosales or Ronald Torreyes gives the big league team a better shot to win than a Nick Gordon, then it's great to have those guys. 

Obviously its not long-term, but those guys can be important as well. 

• DocBauer likes this

#23 y2jjj54

y2jjj54

• 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

I was talking more in the lines of the Jon Kemmer, Nick Buss, James Ramsey's of the world.Not the legitimate AAA guys with MLB experience.

• Mike Sixel and DocBauer like this

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,513 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

I can't say I'm really excited about the Red Wings roster, but I do feel it's better than 2018.

I have questions about the catcher spot. Let's be honest, we didn't know this time last year what we had in Astudillo, but Wilson was a decent #3, if that's all he was going to be. Obviously in the injury to Castro changed that situation. I am NOT excited about Telis, but at least he's a former top prospect. Those are the kind of guys you should take a flier on at this point.

The infield is nothing exciting, but the solid Torreyes and prospect Gordon is a lot better than an entire collection of journeymen we had in place last year at this time.

The entire OF/1B/DH situation is MUCH better than the beginning of 2018! I have done zero research/reading on Andreoli at this point, but Wade, Rooker, Raley and Wiel are all good to decent prospects. Other than Cave, who was still somewhat of an unknown at the time, vast improvement here.

So-so on the staff as a whole. I am a big fan of Thorpe, and I still have high hopes for Gonsalves. Stewart has me interested again. Just not sure what to make of Littell, who I felt looked nervous and rushed last season. Still, he's young and has a solid track record.

I have moved on from Romero being a SP, but haven't given up with experience and development of a 3rd pitch. But his potential in the pen can't be denied. Eades really embraced his role as a RP, looked good in ST, and may have a future. Can't deny what Vasquez has done. But can he take the next step with a pedestrian FB? Nobody else does anything for me except maybe Reed. Better health, and embracing the new approach/metrics he spoke about in ST...maybe he finally takes that next step.

Overall...a better team than the one that began 2018 with some solid call up options and some real depth/potential that was lacking last year at this time.

When I look at the Rochester lineup, Doc,

I look for two different things.I want to see a team with a few of our top prospects.you know, those guys that if needed will be ready to step in and help the Twins.A couple guys like Rooker and Thorpe who if not ready opening day should be by June/July.

But I also look for a team with several veteran minor league guys who can help this team compete in the International League.I want the Twins to put a team on the field that the Rochester fans can get excited about because they win and compete.Iknow it is difficult for a lot of teams in the Northern Division to make the playoffs because of the screwy playoff set-up.But lets hope like heck that the Red Wings are playing ball the week after Labor Day this year.

And I think this team can be exciting as in addition to a few minor league vets they also have a few guys like Torreyes who should be very good in the IL while also providing depth should the Twins have an injury in their infield.As for your concerns, I think Navaretto could be added at any time and would provide excellent defense.I also think the bullpen is going to be a strength as Eades, Vasquez and Baxendale all could probably be solid back of the pen relievers for the Twins or several other teams.

So when I look at this team I get very excited.I see several pitchers who just may help the Twins this year and really like Rooker, Raley and Wade as outfield depth or players who will push for jobs in 2020.

• DocBauer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nick gordon, stephen gonsalves, kohl stewart, lamonte wade, brent rooker