Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 9, CLE 3: Twins Take Series Behind Pineda, Tortuga

michael pineda willians astudillo nelson cruz martin perez ryne harper
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:14 PM

It's not so much how great he is. It's how bad Castro is. And the fact that Bobby Wilson was playing ahead of his is a crime against baseball.

There’s a lot more to catching than holding a bat and Castro is pretty good at most of it, very good at some of it.
  • jorgenswest, Danchat, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

#82 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

It's not so much how great he is. It's how bad Castro is. And the fact that Bobby Wilson was playing ahead of his is a crime against baseball.

When did Castro become so bad? Yes, his 74 PAs in 2018 went very poorly, but his previous full season in 2017 (407 PAs) brought us .720 OPS and a .242/.333/.388 slash line that is solid for a catcher. That's not even to mention the catching defense. I don't know if we'll need to worry about a guy like Wilson playing ahead of Astudillo with Molitor gone, but Castro isn't close to that level yet. 

If anything, Garver might be in trouble, since he was rated by many defensive stats to be MLB's worst defensive catcher and has options (2 remaining).

• Hosken Bombo Disco, Dozier's Glorious Hair and Original Whizzinator like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#83 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:08 PM

It should be interesting. I have been hard on Castro in the past but as long as he’s co-authoring complete game shutouts, he can hit whatever he wants. I do expect him to revert back to his mid 600 OPS and to be pinch hit for many times late in games. Which might necessitate carrying all three catchers for long stretches. Not sure; we shall see, this could be a fun ride (at least until the first time a team hangs 16 on us)

#84 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:14 AM

There’s a lot more to catching than holding a bat and Castro is pretty good at most of it, very good at some of it.

He's a good defensive catcher who can't hit. Astudillo appears to be an average or slightly below average defensive catcher who can hit. I'll take the later. I'd be happy with a 60/40 split between the two. Garver's future is as a reserve 1B/RF IMO.

#85 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:08 PM

I am much more optimistic about Garver. I am a believer in hard work and I think Garver can improve from his poor catching last year and approach average. His bat at catcher will be an asset.

#86 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:10 PM

Astudillo's bat is his raison de'tre. He's a hitter who happens to be able to catch a little. He can also play 3B, 2B and a little OF.He could also DH. The reason to play him is to get his bat into the lineup in the #2 hole or maybe the #6 or #7 hole and have a guy who can start and extend rallies by putting the ball in play. 

This shouldn't be that hard. Modern baseball doesn't have the same 8 guys playing in the same 8 spots every day. The only true "every day" players the Twins have are Rosario and Polanco, assuming the both hit like they have in the past, and Cruz .Everyone else is fungible because everyone else has some good skills and some not so good skills.

There's no reason that we couldn't find 4 or 5 days a week for Astudillo once the schedule cranks up - 1 or 2 at C, 1 or 2 at 3B, 1 at 2B, and even 1 in the OF or at DH. We are going to need him when we have those long runs of games. The Twins get 20 days off during the season, plus the All-Star break. We are using 5 of those days in the first 20 games. That means several stretches of 10 games in 11 days, 20 games in 21 days, etc. Astudilllo and Gonzalez are incredibly valuable for those stretches to give guys a day off, play for a guy who is slumping, and play through injuries. Let's find him 3 or 4 days a week for him to play during this next month so we can see if his offensive output is sustainable so we know if he and Gonzalez can be what we need them to be during the dog days of summer -guys who can really contribute playing a variety of positions and playing 4 or 5 days a week. r

#87 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

He's a good defensive catcher who can't hit. Astudillo appears to be an average or slightly below average defensive catcher who can hit. I'll take the later. I'd be happy with a 60/40 split between the two. Garver's future is as a reserve 1B/RF IMO.

I’m going to need to see a lot more of Astudillo before I believe he’s average behind the plate.

And Castro is somewhere around league average for catchers with the stick. It’s a stretch to say he “can’t hit”.

#88 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

I am much more optimistic about Garver. I am a believer in hard work and I think Garver can improve from his poor catching last year and approach average. His bat at catcher will be an asset.

You should have tweeted this to Mitch!
  • Brock Beauchamp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, willians astudillo, nelson cruz, martin perez, ryne harper