Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 9, CLE 3: Twins Take Series Behind Pineda, Tortuga

michael pineda willians astudillo nelson cruz martin perez ryne harper
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

Gotta say I like what I see from Perez for the most part.
  • birdwatcher, PseudoSABR, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#42 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,248 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:31 PM

Can someone explain the logic of why Castro starts over Astudillo? You can't frame enough pitches to make up .100 points in batting average. Every time I watch him catch I figure I'll see passed balls galore and a mess back there and he's always fine. 

Castro is supposedly a great framer and at working with the pitching staff; I haven't heard much about Astudillo's defense behind the plate, but that they've played him every where but catcher suggests some concern.

#43 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

I have one criticism of Astudillo's performance today. In the 4th inning he scored on Buxton's double, but with two out he needs to run full bore through home plate. He eased up coming home and if Buxton had been thrown out at second the run would not have counted.

• glunn and h2oface like this

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

I love Astudillo as much as the next guy but some of you need to reel it in a bit.

The dude has ~100 career PAs. The front office isn’t insane for refusing to write his name into lineups using a pen.
  • Carole Keller, birdwatcher, Riverbrian and 6 others like this

#45 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,248 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

I love Astudillo as much as the next guy but some of you need to reel it in a bit.

The dude has ~100 career PAs. The front office isn’t insane for refusing to write his name into lineups using a pen.

YOU SHUT YOUR SMART MOUTH!

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, pbrezeasap and 8 others like this

#46 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,611 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:03 PM

Agreed... but he won't get 200 career PA's unless they write his name into the lineup.

Right Now... I'll give them a pen if they can't find one. 

• glunn, nicksaviking, Dman and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#47 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:36 PM

Astudillo is a completely unknown long term quanity. Of Course. Still, why not give him some run and see what we got? Now is the time. Decisions have to be made in a few weeks when Sano is ready to come back. Let's find out if Astudillo can handle a starter's workload at the plate. If he can, lots of possibilities open up with three MLB qulaity catchers ... most teams don't even have one. Play the guy 3 games out of 4 and see if his bat holds up. He can play 2B, 3B, LF.... Who cares if it cuts into Adrianza's playing time off the bench? We know what he can do. If Astudillo's bat holds up, lots of things become possible including trading for that relief pitcher we should have picked up in free agency. Castro for a quality reliever? It's possible... 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 31 March 2019 - 09:37 PM.

• glunn, Jerr, Dman and 1 other like this

#48 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,116 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:28 PM

La Tortuga may not be the best nickname for Astudillo. How about "Pelotero?" The man is a ballplayer, pure and simple. He hits the ball, catches the ball, throws the ball, and understands the game as well as anybody I see out there, including Rosario. If you're wondering about his catching, ask CJ Cron. Astudillo not only fielded Polanco's throw off the fence, he then quickly gunned the ball exactly where it needed to be for Cron to make the tag. That's a ballplayer, my friends. That's a guy you want on your team...playing, not on the bench. 

Otherwise, I like watching Pineda pitch. Something comforting about a big man that just flips the ball down at the strike zone with so little effort. Perez looked good, too. You really see him driving off the heel the way Wes Johnson says. Ryne Harper I do not understand. I know, I know, his low velocity is fooling people...for now. Hard to believe it will hold up, but baseball does have room for peculiarities. 

Falvey and Levine seem to like players with high baseball IQ. This team looks smart in the way they move and play. They seem to like each other, too. Baldy might just have himself a good team.

• birdwatcher, Jerr, PseudoSABR and 7 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#49 Lasorda_This_Out

Lasorda_This_Out

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:01 PM

My question is sincere...

Why would Baldelli/Twins allow CLE runners to advance from: 1. Second to Third and 2. First to Second on consecutive uncontested pitches in the top of the 9th with a six run lead and two outs? Why not a catcher throw? Why uncontested? Thanks!!!

#50 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:03 PM

Even Baldelli's inexperience couldn't screw up Sunday's result. Now, if we could have a bit more hitting in the clutch by some players and if Rosario could buy a hit, the Twins might have something.

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,164 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:52 PM

Didn't ask for that. But all he's done is hit. Give him a shot.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#52 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:10 AM

Twins pitchers get 39 strikeouts in 3 games?

Yowza!!!

Yeh, those numbers in recent Twins history generally show up on the other side of the ledger...  

Nice to have 'em in OUR box score for a change.

#53 Penthang

Penthang

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:08 AM

I know that Astudillo doesn’t have a lot of plate appearances yet but I really feel like the lineup is better with him in it. Also, he makes good, heads up plays. I’d really like to see Baldelli find a way to get him on the field 5 out of 7 days with 2 of those behind the plate. Was it just a coincidence that they had a breakout offensive game the first time he was in the lineup? Maybe, maybe not?
  • Doctor Wu likes this

--Twins Fan From Texas

#54 JPK

JPK

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:45 AM

Yes, extraordinarily small sample size. But this seems like as good a moment as any to note that: La Tortuga currently leads all AL hitters with an OPS of 2.750. Viva La Tortuga!

• Dman, Original Whizzinator and DannySD like this

#55 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:20 AM

Under Molitor: not make baserunning mistakes like we saw today.

I'm hopeful that Rocco isn't quite so doctrinaire. Figure out what the players can do, not hang them for what they don't.

I agree that it was a mistake but I thought the third base coach was late on his signal which had tortuga slowing down on his way to third.He is not the type of player who will run freely. And Buxton was going all the way, he never would have made it anyway. Not sure what was going on there.  

• ashbury likes this

#56 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:55 AM

It's early, it's cold, and Pineda had TJ. Nothing wrong with getting him out of their ahead of the game. They also made it clear for quite awhile Perez would be a stretched out reliever, then starter. Other than that, so far pretty confused by Rocco. He didn't PH for Kepler the other day, used a bottom of the order RP with a full compliment of relievers, and writes the same lineup 3 days in a row, with the exception of catchers who simply bat in the 8 hole. Looks more like a 1960's guy than an analytical wizard? Who knows, maybe it's simply early, he doesn't want to rock the boat, or over manage. It will be interesting once the games pile up and the pen gets stressed. As for La Tortuga, it's getting to the point where he is going to have to show management why he SHOULDNT be playing. He's already shown them why he SHOULD be playing!
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#57 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:33 AM

We're probably looking at the same video, and it might be the only one available, and I agree it's hard to tell exactly when the coach stopped/started to signal to run hard. The coach came into view just a millisecond too late for our purpose.

I was at the game, under the heat lamps on the third base side.I had a great view of third and the coach was definitely windmilling Astudillo to go home.

For some reason Astudillo stopped, Buxton was coming to third, so Willians set sail for home and the Indians infielder just never looked up or he would have had Astudillo at the plate.

But, best thing was, Buxton gave himself up at 3B in the rundown instead of trying to be Superman.Gotta take care of yourself Byron, especially in a 9-3 game.

• ashbury likes this

#58 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:38 AM

When in the past would we have seen 3 catchers play in the first three games? Never. I don't care where they batted Astudillo I'm just happy he was in there. This is not the robotic heard marching off a cliff giving the feeling of futility. This sh** is fresh!

#59 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:38 AM

Tom, How was Astudillo's pitch framing in this game. You were able to compare Castro and Garver in games 1 and 2. Could you compare all 3 catchers in the first 3 games?

#60 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

He's a fun guy to root for.You look at that body and say no way could that guy be a good baseball player.He didn't get perfect gene's but he does everything he possibly can with what he has.I love underdogs and Astudillo has that in spades.

I hear you though.Defensively the only decent spot for him is catcher and the Twins at this point seem to like Garver and Castro better.He can play third but Sano's power bat plays better there at least in theory.He can play second but Schoop is much better there defensively and should give us decent offense as well.He can play first but Cron is better in that spot as well.At DH we have Cruz.So yeah I see your point.

His best chance to make a difference defensively is at catcher. At this point I would rather see Garver go down than Astudillo just because he such a good PH threat.He puts the ball in play better than anyone in baseball.That skill has to be worth something, most likely a better BA with a greater percentage of BABIP luck.

I hear you but I like this guy and hope they are writing his name in pen soon.

• DannySD likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, willians astudillo, nelson cruz, martin perez, ryne harper