Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 9, CLE 3: Twins Take Series Behind Pineda, Tortuga

michael pineda willians astudillo nelson cruz martin perez ryne harper
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:03 PM

What am I missing.Perez stunk.Why am I ready positive things about him?Otherwise, great game, great fun, and the legend of Tortuga continues.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,611 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

was it “their C squad”? Missing Lindor is a big miss. Kipnis, how much does he have left?

Major league C squad, sure. Indians B plus. They are doomed to a cruddy lineup unless the FO can swing a trade.

I think the FO is more likely to swing a trade in the opposite direction.

They burned down the farm chasing titles the past 3 years. They will need some seeds.

• Blake, Sconnie and Platoon like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#23 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,724 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

I think that baserunning mistake was on Buxton. It was hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure Astudillo got the stop sign from the third base coach, then the coach started frantically windmilling when he saw Buxton charge around second.

We're probably looking at the same video, and it might be the only one available, and I agree it's hard to tell exactly when the coach stopped/started to signal to run hard. The coach came into view just a millisecond too late for our purpose.

With none out, the instinct probably was to be conservative. If instead it was indecision, due to not completely thinking through in advance that you had an eager runner on second and a very fast one on first, then that's a place for some fine tuning and discussion.

But if the indecision was on the part of Astudillo, and/or he wasn't on the same page with Buxton, then that's something else to work out.

Wasn't costly this time. Next time it might be.

Astudillo was clearly upset even though he had scored. Since I don't know his demeanor that well yet, he looked almost on the verge of tears. That could have been anger at himself (my interpretation), or coach Diaz(?), or Buxton.

Wonder if it came up in the postgame interviews.

• glunn, Blake, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#24 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

Twins pitchers get 39 strikeouts in 3 games?

Yowza!!!
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Jerr and 10 others like this

#25 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

What am I missing.Perez stunk.Why am I ready positive things about him?Otherwise, great game, great fun, and the legend of Tortuga continues.

It may just be that I have maintained very low expectations for Perez, but I thought his pitches looked good and the velocity was excellent. Command/control certainly left something to be desired, but it I think there are more positives than negatives to takeaway. He struck out six of the 19 batters he faced and got 12 swinging strikes on his 82 pitches. Very encouraging, though he was also certainly rough around the edges.

• glunn, birdwatcher, pbrezeasap and 6 others like this

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,611 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

We're probably looking at the same video, and it might be the only one available, and I agree it's hard to tell exactly when the coach stopped/started to signal to run hard. The coach came into view just a millisecond too late for our purpose.

With none out, the instinct probably was to be conservative. If instead it was indecision, due to not completely thinking through in advance that you had an eager runner on second and a very fast one on first, then that's a place for some fine tuning and discussion.

But if the indecision was on the part of Astudillo, and/or he wasn't on the same page with Buxton, then that's something else to work out.

Wasn't costly this time. Next time it might be.

Astudillo was clearly upset even though he had scored. Since I don't know his demeanor that well yet, he looked almost on the verge of tears. That could have been anger at himself (my interpretation), or coach Diaz(?), or Buxton.

Wonder if it came up in the postgame interviews.

I continue to see no issues with his ability behind the plate. Good awareness on the backup to nail Santana with poor awareness. 

It's a such a great game... I'm so glad Baseball is back.:)

• glunn, Blake and MN_ExPat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#27 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

This is the kind of game that simply makes me happy.  Buck gets a couple of hits.  Torguga gets his hits and makes a heads-up play on defense.  Starting pitcher looks good.  Happy, happy, happy.

Here's that defensive play for anyone who missed it:

• ashbury, glunn, Blake and 4 others like this

#28 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

Great game ... Love that Two Gingers bar on the 200 level for days like today!

Looks like everyone but Gibson (for good reason) has received game action now.

On to KC to hopefully take sole possession of the early AL Central driver's seat!
  • glunn likes this

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,724 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

I continue to see no issues with his ability behind the plate. Good awareness on the backup to nail Santana with poor awareness. 

It's a such a great game... I'm so glad Baseball is back.:)

Oh, by far, that was the only negative to Astudillo's day. He keeps having these coming out parties like today's game - eventually we're going to figure out he's not a debutante anymore. :)

• glunn, Blake, Jerr and 5 others like this

#30 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

This is going to be a fun summer of baseball.

Would be most excellent if we could break out just in time for the next wave to come up.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#31 BD57

BD57

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

How much of Perez being wild was Plate Umpire squeezing the strike zone?

Granted, the Zone Cam on the broadcast isn't official, but it sure seemed like a lot of strikes weren't being called as such today.

• glunn, drivlikejehu, NapoleonComplex and 2 others like this

#32 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

The beginning of Baldelli's postgame that I watched certainly supports the conclusion that the pitching changes were predetermined to get Pérez some work. A little jarring for the manager to say that point blank.

• Dman and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#33 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

How much of Perez being wild was Plate Umpire squeezing the strike zone?

Granted, the Zone Cam on the broadcast isn't official, but it sure seemed like a lot of strikes weren't being called as such today.

Here are all of Perez's called strikes and balls from today:

MPchart

• glunn, Riverbrian, NapoleonComplex and 3 others like this

#34 Shaitan

Shaitan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

It's hard to judge a pitcher who was on the mound with an 8-run lead.

• Riverbrian, spycake, gbg and 5 others like this

#35 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

was it “their C squad”? Missing Lindor is a big miss. Kipnis, how much does he have left?

Major league C squad, sure. Indians B plus. They are doomed to a cruddy lineup unless the FO can swing a trade.

You got to admit that the Indians starting pitching was the A+ team. And the Twins beat them...should have/could have won Saturday.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Blake and 2 others like this

#36 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

While I understood the Pineda move I didn't understand the Pineda move.He was absolutely just cruising through 4 innings on a low pitch count and they pulled him, I don't get that.At least let him pitch the 5th and have a chance for the win.If Pineda was struggling or the pitch count was high I could easily rationalize what the Twins did but I have to agree with Tom that it seemed like this game was more about getting both guys equal work than worrying about winning the game.

I am not a big Perez fan but I like what the Twins have done with him so far. His velocity is outstanding but his control doesn't look MLB ready to me.Watching the game he was all over the place.Granted some of that is by design but it looked to me like he didn't really have a money pitch today.Every inning felt like a disaster waiting to happen to me.If you have good stuff you don't have to throw 80 pitches ina little over three innings of work.So my question right now would be is he really a good pitcher?

I get it, he is a work in progress and likely to warm up with the weather but I just didn't care for the way the Twins went about getting him into this game.Yeah they hada huge 5 run inning and in the end it didn't matter as they got to have their cake and eat it too, but a couple of bad bounces and they could have lost that game.

Ok enough complaining.I was very happy with how well they hit the ball today.This really could be a tough lineup for pitchers to face with lots of bench options that aren't that far off in quality at bats.Not sure how long that bench stays that way but I think it gives them a leg up over other teams right now.

I kind of like how they got all three catchers involved early.Catcher is a physically demanding position so if they can keep those guys fresh maybe we can get a bit better production out of that position by platooning them a bit.

Very happy with the win and getting the series win at home.If our pitching holds this team might do better than I thought they would.

• glunn, Doomtints and DannySD like this

#37 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,724 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

It's hard to judge a pitcher who was on the mound with an 8-run lead.

When he came in it was only 3-0, and I wasn't too wowed with his command or movement on the ball in that inning. "Effectively wild" at best.

• glunn, Mike Sixel, Dman and 1 other like this

#38 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:33 PM

I wonder what Astudillo would have to do to get regular at bats?

Trade physiques with A-Rod.

• glunn, Riverbrian and Platoon like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#39 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:53 PM

Trade physiques with A-Rod.

Not happening. He's busy getting his J-Lo on.

Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy.

#40 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:19 PM

Can someone explain the logic of why Castro starts over Astudillo? You can't frame enough pitches to make up .100 points in batting average. Every time I watch him catch I figure I'll see passed balls galore and a mess back there and he's always fine. 

• Platoon and DannySD like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, willians astudillo, nelson cruz, martin perez, ryne harper