Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: CLE 2, MIN 1: Odorizzi Strikes Out 11, Wild Parker Surrenders Go-Ahead Run

jake odorizzi blake parker
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

Was Rosario's at-bat when he had the 3-0 count as bad as it looked on Gameday?

This looks bad?
download

• diehardtwinsfan, SwainZag, h2oface and 4 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#22 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

Is something wrong with Buxton's legs? Why didn't he steal third so he could score on a fly? Hand appeared to me to have a rather slow delivery.

If anyone could take third in that situation, it’s Buxton. But if anyone’s able to score on a blooper, it’s also Buxton. I agree not to steal, because the throw from home to third is only 90 feet, and Buxton is going to score on anything that lands in the outfield grass whether he starts on second or third. I don’t think the benefit of stealing outweighs the risk in that spot.

The problem was that Kepler didn’t find a way to get him over.

Edited by prouster, 30 March 2019 - 05:58 PM.

• birdwatcher, SwainZag, Tibs and 4 others like this

#23 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:57 PM

Honestly that 9th inning double by Buxton was a gift. He should be 1 for 6, and looks a lot like Buxton.

Physically, yes, he looks a lot like Byron Buxton. But he looks nothing like the wigged out kid from the last couple springs. Mainly, he can tell a ball from a strike, and he has been hitting the ball with some authority.
  • jorgenswest, h2oface, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#24 Knuckleball9

Knuckleball9

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Twins went up against arguably the 2 best starters in the central and split. We put out two pitchers that stood toe to toe with Kluber/Bauer. Tip o' the Cap to Jose and Hodor...

• glunn, birdwatcher, brvama and 5 others like this

#25 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

Garver's pitch framing was not what I would call good. I count 7 pitches in the zone that were called balls, and only 2 pitches out of the zone that were called strikes. That's hardly magician level sleight-of-glove. Still, I do like his new one-knee stance. He looks athletic and relaxed that way. 

That is exactly why umpires still calling balls and strikes is bogus. Did you see that curve that Kepler took that was in the middle of the zone and a good 3 to 4 inches up from the bottom of the zone? And Cuzzi called it a ball on Bauer? Poor umpiring is the reason for most bad calls, and yet, people want to make up a fake stat like pitch framing. This can only be fixed one way, and you know how that is. It is not the catcher.... it is the umpire.

The whole premise of pitch framing is to cheat the reality of what happened. It is time to get balls and strikes right, without trying to cheat.

Edited by h2oface, 30 March 2019 - 06:11 PM.

• blindeke, Knuckleball9 and heresthething like this

#26 Knuckleball9

Knuckleball9

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:03 PM

Oh yeah.. Libera a la Tortuga

• Jerr, Platoon, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

With Phil Cuzzi’a strikezone today I don’t know how you can evaluate the catcher framing with any seriousness. Both sides were fooled multiple times by unexpected ball/strike calls.

Cuzzi can't see balls and strikes any better than he can see the foul line!

• Knuckleball9 likes this

#28 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

I think it's a bit early to worry about any of the hitters after facing Kluber and Bauer. IMO Bauer is going to have a huge year.

Also, methinks Mejia is going to do a good job in the bullpen. He's proven to be able to take MLB hitters down, and now with the problem of facing hitters for the 2nd or 3rd time in the rotation is gone, he's done to do well for himself in the pen.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair and Original Whizzinator like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#29 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

I like Parker, but he’s not the type of guy I want in a high leverage situation. Shoulda saved Rogers (or May) for the 9th...
  • Knuckleball9 likes this

#30 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

That is exactly why umpires still calling balls and strikes is bogus. Did you see that curve that Kepler took that was in the middle of the zone and a good 3 to 4 inches up from the bottom of the zone? And the ump called it a ball on Bauer? Poor umpiring is the reason for most bad calls, and yet, people want to make up a fake stat like pitch framing. This can only be fixed one way, and you know how that is. It is not the catcher.... it is the umpire.

That was horrendous. I am 100% pro robotic strike zone, but until we get that, framing is most definitely a skill. It doesn't show up on every pitch, umpires definitely just make bad calls on their own, but there are things catchers can do to help or hurt themselves. 

• h2oface and Knuckleball9 like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#31 Knuckleball9

Knuckleball9

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

H20face is spot on, pitch framing is tricking the Umpire into doing a worse job than he already is doing... Take the human error and EGO out of the calling of Balls/Strikes for the good of the Game. Still gonna be Umpires, nobody gonna starve...

• h2oface and Tom Froemming like this

#32 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

This looks bad?

Nope, :).The tracker I was watching showed pitch 4 was outside and in the dirt.  

So I've learned no to take that tracker seriously!

• Tom Froemming likes this

#33 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

This loss is on Baldelli. Time to enroll in manager's school.
Cluster F*** of bad or no decisions in the bottom of both the 7th and 9th by the rookie manager.
Should have had a quicker hook on Parker in the top of the 9th.
My 96 YO father could have done a better job and he's only half there mentally.

#34 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

Here's a look back at Garver's first game catching Odorizzi last year. I'd say it's a pretty significant improvement, and it's not like I'm cherry picking his worst game or anything. 

That's my biggest concern with Garver. He doesn't need to be some strike-stealing wizard back, he just needs to get the pitches in the zone called strikes.

Second, you can't really expect to get calls on the black. Here's every called ball Odorizzi threw last season. There are so many balls called on the black that you can't even barely see the black anymore. 

When I look at the info from today, I see two balls down at the bottom that were in the zone, but I also see three called strikes that were definitely outside the zone. Everything else, to me, looks like it's on the black. Some he got strikes, others he got balls. But this is most definitely all subjective, so certainly take a look and form your own opinion.

Tom, those charts are amazing, and revealing. If this trend continues, the Twins might wind up with the whole starting rotation competing for most K's in the season! 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#35 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

“Even just beyond the numbers, is Mejia really the guy you want pitching in a tie game with the go-ahead run on base when you have a fresh bullpen?”

Absolutely! It’s called showing confidence. Mejia isn’t going anywhere. He’s probably going to have to pitch some important innings. If the manager isn’t going to use him, he shouldn’t be on the team. The LAST thing I am going to do is criticize Baldelli for using a “lesser” reliever against the lower part of the order of a bad offensive team when I CRUCIFIED Molitor for using the same two or three guys all the time the last three years.
  • Wizard11 and Original Whizzinator like this

#36 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

Strange not to PH for Kepler. Also, I know it's not typically done, but since we have 3 catchers, maybe put Castro in for the 9th given that Garver had just batted and Parker throws a splitter?

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:02 PM

Why bring Austin North, if you don't use him? Same with Astudillo? I like Kepler, but that's why those two are on the roster.

And, yes, Mejia should be in there. In a month or two, he'll be a starter when Parker is cut.
  • Wizard11 and sweetmusicviola16 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#38 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

That is exactly why umpires still calling balls and strikes is bogus. Did you see that curve that Kepler took that was in the middle of the zone and a good 3 to 4 inches up from the bottom of the zone? And Cuzzi called it a ball on Bauer? Poor umpiring is the reason for most bad calls, and yet, people want to make up a fake stat like pitch framing. This can only be fixed one way, and you know how that is. It is not the catcher.... it is the umpire.

The whole premise of pitch framing is to cheat the reality of what happened. It is time to get balls and strikes right, without trying to cheat.

WOOF that was a bad call. Did you know, Phil Cuzzy once called a double "foul" during the playoffs?

• Jerr, Tibs and Tom Froemming like this

#39 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

A couple of thoughts on decisions that had a major influence on the outcome. First, I think Parker will be a decent bullpen arm, but there is no way he should be pitching the 9th inning of a tied game. Second, I just don't understand letting Kepler swing away with Buxton on second and no outs. Either Kepler should have been bunting or Astudillo should have replaced him. At that point in the game advancing Buxton was the only thing that mattered and if there is one thing Astudillo can do it is put the ball in play (with Buxton's speed any ball in play has a pretty good chance of letting him advance to third).

• Tibs and blindeke like this

#40 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

TIME FOR SOME EDUCATION:
Extra batting practice for all Twin's Batters.
Extra bullpen sessions on control for Parker.
Extra bullpen sessions for Garver on blocking pitches.
Extra course for Baldelli on the use of the sacrifice.
Extra course for Baldelli on the use of the stolen base.
Extra course for Baldelli on when to yank a pitcher.
Extra course for Baldelli on the use of pinch hitters off of the bench.
Extra course for Baldelli on playing small ball for a single run.
Extra course for Derek Shelton on speaking up when the Manager is WRONG.
Extra course on Instructions to hitters for Rowson and Hernandez.
Extra course on the selection and use of relievers for BOTH Baldelli and Bullpen Coach

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, blake parker