Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Offseason Trade Candidates

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

One thing we write for the TwinsCentric Minnesota Twins Offseason GM Handbook are possible trade candidates, which usually includes names that have been rumored to be available or somehow make sense for the Twins to attempt to acquire. The toughest part is coming up with realistic names. Any ideas out there? Or guys you woudl like to see profiled in that section?

One idea I had while talking with Jason Collette of DRaysBay last weekend was Rays pitchers. According to Jason, the Rays are going to need to go hard after some offense after a dismal offensive season from their lineup. Span would make a lot of sense for them, as might Willingham (or Parmelee?). So some Rays pitchers or pitching prospects might be in play.

What other teams or players come to mind? I'm not talking about dream players - I'm talking about realistic targets.

#2 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

And as soon as I write that, I find one....

The Blue Jays are tired of Yunel Escobar's antics, it appears. (He's "a goner.") He has a $5M contract next year and team options for $5M for the next two years. Seems like a decent target to me. He had a bad year this year, but no more terrible than any Twin will have, and he's 29, and his career OPS is 744.

OK, who else comes to mind...

#3 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

There was a note on MLB Trade Rumors that the Blue Jays want to part ways with Yunel Escobar. Two weeks ago, I would have loved the idea of trading for him...not so much anymore, but he'd at least answer part of the infield problem for a few years. You can never have enough Escobar's around the infield. I don't see any obvious ways the Twins would match up with the Jays in a trade, though.

#4 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

If we had two Escobars, I wouldn't be able to decide which one of them to call "Pumpkin".

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

TOR's Ricky Romero & Brandon Morrow are 2 Id legitimately love to target.
Romero has been excellent for 3 yrs & a low level ace. He has 3yrs 22.5m left on his recent deal (w/4th yr option of 13m) so they could want to save money. His problem this yr has been control as he's maintained velocity.
Morrow is in last year before FA and still hasnt put together a full season tho he was excellent this year when healthy. I thought this year would be his breakout yr but it may be 2013.
Escobar is an above average fielding SS (uzr ranks) as well as offensively. He is due $5m next yr with 2 team options of $5m after the next 2 yrs.
Any type of combo of P/SS would be excellent. I would think a Morneau deal would be the jist of it with the Canadian returning to his home country.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Phillies and Span (and?) for Tyler Cloyd (and?). I wanted the Twins to make that trade in the deadline when Cloyd was still in AAA and flying well below the radar. Got to see him pitch the couple last seasons in Reading and at Lehigh Valley and the guy is legid and the Phillies did not value him because he does not throw 98. Maybe the Twins missed an opportunity here.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

I wonder if the Reds would be open to trading SS Zack Cozart? Can Billy Hamilton play SS in the big leagues?

#8 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

The Dodgers have a lot of starting pitching....I expect they will try to trade someone. TR is going to look for a pitcher on the trade market. Kershaw, Beckett, Capuano, Harang, Lilly, and Billingsley are all under contract for next year at least. Lilly has 1 year, $12 million left. Capuano is signed for 1 year $6 million with a mutual option for 2014. Harang is signed for 1 year $7 million with a mutual option. I could see the Twins trading for any of these guys. If there is a glut of similar pitchers on the market, and the Dodgers are possibly looking to reduce payroll, they might find a plausible match for less than market price.

#9 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Not to be a wet blanket, but now my blueprint is going to involve trading no one.

#10 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

The Rays need to replace Upton. Span is a hometown guy that would fit what they need. Per fan graph Span is a 3.5 war, value of 15.7m. He is owed 11.25m for 13-14. Shields is a 3.8 war 16.9m value and fits what the Twins biggest need is. He has options for 13-14 for 21m total. Tampa fills a need and saves 10m over 2 years and still has an option for Span in 15. Shields cost only a little more than what Pavano was paid and he'd be a top of the rotation guy. Think how much better he'd be in the Central instead of the East.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Braves are pitching-heavy and if they don't outbid others for Bourn, Span would be a smart choice in their current roster construction focus. They probably have 3-4 guys who could be starting pitchers right now in many places but won't be such for them in 2013, nevermind guys like Brandon Beachy coming back from surgery midseason.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

I think the Reds still make sense. Esp after they bomb out in the playoffs. Stubbs is awful and their leadoff guys have an OBP of .257. Even if they think Hamiton is the CF of the future, Ludwick will be 34 next year.

#13 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

I think the Dodgers are a good fit and I'd bet they're willing to eat some money.

#14 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

When does this handbook come out and how do I get my hands on one?

#15 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

There are certain teams I'd stay away from trading with. Tampa Bay is one of them. In most cases they don't lose in the trades they make, most of the guys that get out of Tampa (whether trade or FA) don't go on to put up better numbers elsewhere.

I'm not going to say a specific name (to target), but I think Span should be traded for a pitcher. I'd also field offers on Willingham. But may be more inclined to trade him during the season when someone needs an OF and would be inclined to pay more.

#16 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

There are certain teams I'd stay away from trading with. Tampa Bay is one of them. In most cases they don't lose in the trades they make, most of the guys that get out of Tampa (whether trade or FA) don't go on to put up better numbers elsewhere.

I'm not going to say a specific name (to target), but I think Span should be traded for a pitcher. I'd also field offers on Willingham. But may be more inclined to trade him during the season when someone needs an OF and would be inclined to pay more.

I agree with waiting until next season to Willingham. He should bring in more once a team realizes they NEED a right handed bat in their lineup. Span on the other hand should be traded this offseason. He has proven he is healthy at the end of this season. Another season of him being on the trading block will hurt him. It is unfair to both the team and him to constantly have these talks about trading him. Trade him for some pitching...good post joeboo.

P.S. A middle infield guy is also something we need. That is a very, very distant second to pitching, but still something to explore.

#17 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

I am somewhat surprised (and disappointed) that one of the number crunchers here has not identified some pitcher the Twins could go after that underperformed in 2011. Surely there is a SP like Pavano circa 2009 the Twins could go after. That is their MO. They would trade a low level prospect drafted high for someone like that
Escobar of Toronto does not fit the profile of how the Twins do business. If the Yankees needed an infielder, he would fit in there.

Edited by old nurse, 27 September 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#18 ltwedt

ltwedt

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'd really like to see the Twins "roll the Dice" just a bit - shake things up, I mean - how much worse can the starting pitching be?

Like - Target Daisuke, Edwin Jackson, and Josh Beckett. Like you guys said in #59, offer them a year at $6-8 Million with incentives and a team option. If the Rays would part with Upton, try that, - I'd trade either Revere or Span - C'Mon - test the waters and see who might be interested in either - or maybe both! Is Joe Benson going to be ready? Let's make a decision on Morneau/Parmalee. Either one - I don't care - Morneau makes the most sense because of his salary, but DO SOMETHING!!!

Would Luke Hochevar be available? He might be a good fit.

#19 ghostofgleemansflab

ghostofgleemansflab

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

John-you're the Twins Geek, tell us who you think might be available. How high are you shooting? Tampa has a glut of pitching and has the luxury of Wade Davis in the pen? We couldn't convince them to part with him, could we? Or target Atlanta?

#20 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Realistic names?

Henderson Alvarez (TOR)
Jeremy Guthrie (Bal)
Jake Westbrook (StL)
Lucas Harrell (Hou)
Wandy Rodriguez (Pit)

#21 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

John-you're the Twins Geek, tell us who you think might be available. How high are you shooting? Tampa has a glut of pitching and has the luxury of Wade Davis in the pen? We couldn't convince them to part with him, could we? Or target Atlanta?

I actually just wrote up Wade Davis as a possiblity in the Handbook last night. Good catch.

#22 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Let me help out and mention 3 under the radar guys I think are realistic trade options and have good upside.

Kyle Kendrick - Phillies make sense as a trade partner and Kendrick has pitched great down the stretch. They may want to sell high on him to fill some of their outfield needs with their rotation set with the big 3, Worley and Cloyd. He has 1 year - 4.5M remaining on his contract and I believe has one more year of arbitration left after that,. So 2 years of club control.

Alfredo Aceves - Yes I know he's been erratic this year and he hasn't shown to be the best teammate, but the way Bobby Valentine has used him, I can't really blame the guy. One thing I do see when I watch him pitch is that he's got great stuff and has the track record (prior to this year) that backs it up. He has mentioned several times that he'd like to be a starter, he seems to have fallen out of favor in Boston and has 2 years of team control left.

Jake Arrieta - Jake would be coming off what seems to be a horrible season. Currently 3-9 with a 6.18 ERA. But when you look more in depth at his numbers you see that he has a 8.55 K/9.. 2.77 BB/9 with a decent 44.2 GB%. His FIP is 3.98 with a xFIP of 3.64 so he's pitching a LOT better than his ERA would indicate. The only thing I see that scares me is the HR rate, but I think pitching in the AL east along with his home ballpark doesn't help. I can still remember him dominating us on opening day this year and the few times I've seen him pitch he's always impressed me. He has 4 years of team control remaining and is obviously my favorite target from the 3 I've mentioned.

#23 COtwin

COtwin

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Guthrie. Ick. Rockies choked on him this year. Better with Royals, but we need to not be picking up the scraps from their table.

#24 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

JP3700, I think those are great names. I can't believe I didn't come up with Kendrick. I wrote up a profile on Cloyd but wiffed on Kendrick. I want to research Aceves and Arrieta now, too.

#25 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

JP3700, I think those are great names. I can't believe I didn't come up with Kendrick. I wrote up a profile on Cloyd but wiffed on Kendrick. I want to research Aceves and Arrieta now, too.

Thanks John. I actually like Kendrick the least because I think it would require Span to get him. If that's the case I'd rather sweeten a trade around Span to make a push at Shields or go for one of Atlanta's young pitchers before exploring a trade with the Phillies. I think it would take a lot less to get Aceves and/or Arrieta.

#26 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'd really like to see the Twins "roll the Dice" just a bit - shake things up, I mean - how much worse can the starting pitching be?

Like - Target Daisuke, Edwin Jackson, and Josh Beckett. Like you guys said in #59, offer them a year at $6-8 Million with incentives and a team option. If the Rays would part with Upton, try that, - I'd trade either Revere or Span - C'Mon - test the waters and see who might be interested in either - or maybe both! Is Joe Benson going to be ready? Let's make a decision on Morneau/Parmalee. Either one - I don't care - Morneau makes the most sense because of his salary, but DO SOMETHING!!!

Would Luke Hochevar be available? He might be a good fit.

BJ Upton is a free agent. The Rays cannot trade him this offseason.

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

I actually just wrote up Wade Davis as a possiblity in the Handbook last night. Good catch.

If you're looking for a write up on Tommy Hanson, let me know. I can fairly easily diagram what is right and wrong about him in Atlanta right now, and why he (to me) is a huge buy-low guy. At his true performance level, he's worth Span plus a big time prospect, but I honestly feel that right now, he and Span would be a fairly even trade, with the Braves possibly even mixing and matching prospects in the deal to balance it out.

#28 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Tampa has a replacement for BJ Upton named Desmond Jennings so they could go for either span or Willingham. I would trade either of them for Shields and then try to grab a guy for 3/30 in FA. I think it also makes sense for Tampa.

I like Jake Arrieta also but I don't see the O's parting with him. They have offense but need pitching so I think they'll give him another chance unless they trade him for an established starter.

I'm not a big fan of Wade Davis as a starter. His stuff really played up this year in the pen so i think he'll stay there. He doubled his K's and swstr% this year.

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

Let me put it this way: I've seen plenty of Kendrick in the minors and majors around here. And there is a very good Twins comparable: Anthony Swarzak. Matter of fact, I think Swarzak has better stuff. Kendrick would be a huge huge mistake.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Let me put it this way: I've seen plenty of Kendrick in the minors and majors around here. And there is a very good Twins comparable: Anthony Swarzak. Matter of fact, I think Swarzak has better stuff. Kendrick would be a huge huge mistake.

Interesting, as I've seen a number of Cloyd's starts on milb.tv this year (great investment, btw), and I compare him strongly to a minor league version of Kevin Slowey.