Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019 Game Thread Procedure

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,216 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:56 PM

Wonderful! But I hope you don’t use all your good bad jokes in the game thread thread and save some for game threads.

Someone should start a game thread thread thread, to discuss this important issue.

If only I knew how.

• glunn, Blake, gil4 and 2 others like this

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,496 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

As long as dummies exist, I will always have a job.

I will always have a job. ;)

Self guaranteed employment. 

• glunn, Blake, Platoon and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#23 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

sir not appearing in this thread

• Members
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

A pro-cedure eh?

So... if i game thread, i may lose my olympic eligibility?

I do it for the love of thread!
  • ashbury, glunn, Blake and 1 other like this

#24 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:46 AM

I'll bet on the "over" for "Chief" "jokes"....... :go:

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 1 other like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#25 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

I'll bet on the "over" for "Chief" "jokes"....... :go:

Ha!

Over? Chief's jokes?

I think John Paul Jones has a thing or two to say about that.
  • glunn likes this

#26 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

Oh, practical question:

How far ahead may we write them for? If for example, i wished to write up our first game against Boston (whenever it may happen to be) and post it tomorrow, may i?

Or would that be too distracting if people didn't pay due attention to which game they were talking about?
  • glunn likes this

#27 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:44 PM

Ha!

Over? Chief's jokes?

I think John Paul Jones has a thing or two to say about that.

(Maybe it woulda been clearer if i mentioned the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor...)
  • ashbury, glunn, Platoon and 1 other like this

#28 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,496 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:37 AM

Oh, practical question:

How far ahead may we write them for? If for example, i wished to write up our first game against Boston (whenever it may happen to be) and post it tomorrow, may i?

Or would that be too distracting if people didn't pay due attention to which game they were talking about?

You can start a game thread whenever you wish. However, we're not "pinning" them to the top, so it might drop off the first page prior to the game.

I'd suggest preparing the thread, saving it to your computer, then posting that day, or even the day prior.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#29 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:58 AM

You can start a game thread whenever you wish. However, we're not "pinning" them to the top, so it might drop off the first page prior to the game.

I'd suggest preparing the thread, saving it to your computer, then posting that day, or even the day prior.

Hmmm...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Will ponder it...

By computer these days, i think you mean cellphone (not to poke fun at yer age or anything, just the way i guess i been rolling of late)

If i post wicked early, i can always post the line up day of, and that will bump back into view...

I think the design question is whether i want it to be a surprise, or think other folk could flush it out better than i given half a chance. And there sure have been times when that was the case.

Anyway, i'll try to throw something together Sunday for a later date exactly how bad an idea it is.

#30 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,956 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:32 PM

That is, technically speaking, a very well-written joke. I enjoyed it. Thank you.

:)

There is something inherently backhanded about the term, "technically speaking". :)
  • ashbury, Hosken Bombo Disco and Nine of twelve like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#31 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,216 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

There is something inherently backhanded about the term, "technically speaking". :)

I was laughing when I read it the first time, and I'm laughing again. Figuring out something witty to say in reply to it was apparently above my pay grade, so I let it stand as the last word. :)

• wsnydes likes this

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

#32 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,956 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

We'll all stop by and make inane comments, and you might even get a classic Chief joke or three.
It would have been best if this sentence had ended with the word 'comments'! :). But since it didn't, I am puzzled whether the Chief is Classic, or the joke(s) would be? And no, 'both' is not an acceptable answer! :)
  • ashbury and Nine of twelve like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#33 NumberThree

NumberThree

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

So, in theory, I could start a game thread for the last game of the season today, and all I have to do is keep bumping it up and it's good to go? It might be interesting to do that because I'm excited about the season today; it might be fun to see if I'm still that excited on the last day.

Cool!

Edited by NumberThree, 30 March 2019 - 10:34 AM.

• ashbury and Craig Arko like this

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,496 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

I am puzzled whether the Chief is Classic, or the joke(s) would be?

Yes.
  • Blake, Platoon and wsnydes like this

#35 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,066 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

Pretty much just start a new thread that says Game Thread and the date. Other than that, no holds barred. 

I'd like to just highlight this ... please include the date and time in the thread title. Other than that, no holds barred. :)

#36 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:41 AM

Someone should start a game thread thread thread, to discuss this important issue.

If only I knew how.

Very carefully take the start of the game thread thread thread between your index finger and thumb in one hand, and take the needle in your other hand, and gently push the thread through the eye until it comes out the other side and you can grab it and pull it the rest of the way through.

If it is difficult lining up the eye and the thread, consider closing one eye. It allowes for easier alignment, but sacrifices depth perception, so only do it in a close game to get a runner in scoring position.
  • ashbury, Blake and Nine of twelve like this

#37 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,066 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

We will have a much more informal game thread procedure this year (similar to how we ended last year.)

In short...there is no procedure.First come, first serve. 

If you're here, and there's a game, start a game thread. 

We'll all stop by and make inane comments, and you might even get a classic Chief joke or three.

We decided to add a couple of procedural points, so it's not exactly procedure free. It is still first come, first served. And Chief will still be supplying as many inane comments as he can. And it's still 'no holds barred' as Tom said. However ... so it's clear and fair and easy for all when starting and/or participating in game threads and/or their creation ...

1. Only start game threads for the day of the game that the thread is for. If you want to get a jump on it and post it at midnight (central time), fine. But only start a game thread on the day of the game. It gets very confusing, otherwise. And as always, double headers are one thread, if and when they occur.

2. Please include the date and time in the thread title. We archive the threads and having the dates in the titles keeps things better organized for access and future reference. And please, if you want to use a time from another time zone, please include the central zone time in parenthesis.

Thanks! And go game threads! And threaders! :)

• Blake, LaBombo, Halsey Hall and 1 other like this

#38 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

Small correction. We are now going to go with pinning game threads. 

• ashbury and WLFINN like this