Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: BREAKING: Harper, Austin, Astudillo Make Opening Day Roster

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:56 PM

Word came out of Twins camp today that Ryne Harper, Tyler Austin and Willians Astudillo will all be on the team's Opening Day roster. With that, the entire 25-man roster appears to be set. The only question mark seems to be whether Jorge Polanco will be healthy. He's nursing a sore shoulder.What a ride it's been for Harper this spring. If you've been following the Sire of Fort Myers race this year, you know his story by now. He turns 30 on Wednesday and has never pitched in the majors. Talk about a big week.

Speaking of big, the Twins bench is going to be huge. A five-man bench!? Wow. As of right now, it's expected to be Mitch Garver, Jake Cave, Ehire Adrianza, Astudillo and Austin.

Dan Hayes of The Athletic reported that Polanco "looks to be on track" to make the Opening Day roster, but if he's not available Ronald Torreyes will take his spot. Addison Reed, Matt Magill, Gabriel Moya and, of course, Miguel Sano are all already expected to open the year on the Injured List.

We also learned how the rotation is going to shake out. After Jose Berrios it'll be Jake Odorizzi and Michael Pineda with Kyle Gibson starting Tuesday in Kansas City. He was slightly behind schedule due to that battle with e. coli over the winter. Martin Perez will open the season pitching out of the bullpen.

So here's what appears to be the full Opening Day roster:

Rotation: Jose Berrios, Jake Odorizzi, Michael Pineda, Kyle Gibson

Bullpen: Martin Perez, Trevor May, Blake Parker, Taylor Rogers, Trevor Hildenberger, Adalberto Mejia, Ryne Harper

Catchers: Jason Castro, Mitch Garver, Willians Astudillo

Infield: C.J. Cron, Jonathan Schoop, Marwin Gonzalez, Polanco, Ehire Adrianza, Tyler Austin

Outfield: Eddie Rosario, Byron Buxton, Max Kepler, Jake Cave

DH: Nelson Cruz

Click here to view the article
  • USAFChief, glunn, Craig Arko and 4 others like this

#2 TheMatt

TheMatt

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

I know it's great that they keep Austin, but how much is he going to play? Especially with all the off days in the beginning of the season.
  • DocBauer, bighat and Original Whizzinator like this

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

Austin will be good to have around to pinch hit in the NL ballparks they play in early.
  • Minfidel, dbminn and howieramone2 like this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#4 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

Guess this means Magill is gone.

#5 bunt_vs_the_shift

bunt_vs_the_shift

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

My kinda team, Charlie... My kinda team

• James, Puckett34, DocBauer and 5 others like this

#6 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

I think Magill has shoulder issues and will probably be on the IL. Same with Addison Reed. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#7 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,077 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

I'm impressed if they are going with 11 pitchers. Even with all the off-days early in the season, the default seems to have become 12, going to 13 when the games begin to bunch up. This is lean and mean, allowing a chance for a more productive bench. It means no pitcher gets a long leash, if not ready to produce right out of the gate. I like this.

• glunn, PseudoSABR, big dog and 7 others like this

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

#8 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

This means a nice 4-6 week tryout for Austin, Astudillo and Harper. Sano will be back in about 6 weeks after healing and a rehab assignment and we'll need another reliever about mid- May. Great way to find out how these guys do as bench bats and Harper in relief. We may have some injuries along the way so it's great that we were able to keep these guys at least for the short term. 

Any word on what happens to Morin and Guilmet?I think Guilmet is on a minor league contract so we can just send him to Rochester, not so sure about Morin vis a vis the 40 man roster. We are gong to need some Bullpen help so I'd hate to lose anyone who can even pitch to a 4 ERA out there. 

• glunn, DocBauer, ChrisKnutson and 5 others like this

#9 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:41 PM

Is Reed truly injured or are they stashing him?
  • bighat likes this

#10 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,581 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

I like it.It's got to be a sigh of relief for guys like May and Hildenberger who wore Red Wings uniforms today and pitched for them. 

he gone!

#11 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

From what I've read it sounds like a sore thumb on his non-throwing hand. Basically he's sucked in spring training and rather than cut a guy making $8.5M they put him on the IR to see if with more time he can get back to being a serviceable major league pitcher.

• blindeke, howieramone2, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#12 Einheri

Einheri

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, I don't have much hope for Reed; but, at $8.5MM, you have to give him more chances than you might like.

• blindeke and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#13 Einheri

Einheri

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:09 PM

Congrats to Ryne Harper.  Do everything you can to hold that roster spot.

• TheLeviathan, Sconnie, Dman and 6 others like this

#14 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,177 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

The guys that competed for the last spots mostly did well--Harper of the relievers, plus Austudillo, Austin and Cave. I'm glad they're all going north. I wonder if Adrianza is 100%. Can he hit right handed? 

We'll probably forget about these decisions by June, but rewarding those who've played well with their jobs on the line is a good thing. 

• glunn, nicksaviking, PseudoSABR and 7 others like this

#15 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,218 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

I’m sure it’ll play out soon, but with Pineda and Odorizzi being expected to be 5 inning starts, are we going to see the stacker concept with Perez and Mejia?
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#16 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:28 PM

I guess I had forgotten about Gibby being a little behind when I posted a theoretical rotation in the roster prediction thread. But I am glad that Falvine decided to be “bold” and go with “only” 11 pitchers to start the year. I remember when going with 11 was considered having an “extra” pitcher...
  • dbminn, Strato Guy and Original Whizzinator like this

#17 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

I’m sure it’ll play out soon, but with Pineda and Odorizzi being expected to be 5 inning starts, are we going to see the stacker concept with Perez and Mejia?

Possibly, but probably not this early in the year. Perez is going to be the 5th starter when we need one.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#18 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

I had a feeling the Twins were going to fit Austin onto the roster somehow, but they're not going to go with a 5 man bench for very long, which might be bad news for Astudillo, who's got options. I'm not sure if they'll be able to go with Cron, Cruz, and Austin all on the team for very long.

We could probably use some bullpen depth with 3 guys on the DL now... perhaps we'll see a waiver claim soon. 

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#19 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

Today it's about the bench guys.Congtats.Come Thursday it will be about the starting 9.We'll see how April plays out.

• blindeke likes this

#20 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

He's "injured" - aka: can't hit the broad side of a barn and has been going downhill since July of 2018. It looks like he's just out of gas and unfortunately hasn't been a good signing for the Twins. I wouldn't be surprised if they released him or put him on the 60-day IL. It's pretty clear to me that management and the front office don't want him anywhere near the bullpen as things stand.

Great for Astudillo! And Austin! And we still get Adrianza, Cave, and Garver. What a story Harper has been this year - I really feel he can contribute.

• Danchat, mikelink45, Dman and 4 others like this